It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the new penny.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I am offended by this blatant racial jab by the amerisan govt.
I found this penny in my change that appears to me to have uncle tom's cabin on the back where the lincon memorial used to be. I looked it up and found that it was not a fluke. In fact, it is some 100 year anaversery penny. I am not able to download the penny for you if you have not seen it.
I could not find what the little cabin was susposed to be, but it was way too big of a coincidence for me. Does anyone agree with me, or am I just reading too much into this.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
External Link

It's supposed to be Lincoln's cabin.

compare the image on the above site to this one.
External Link

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
You may be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Linclon was born in Kentucky in a log cabin. That is all it references as far as I know.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I believe the cable refers more to Lincolns humble beginnings more then Uncle Toms cabin.

Here is a link explaining the new penny.

link

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is Uncle Tom's Cabin, from the novel.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
i see nothing offensive in a commemorative penny.

However, it really has to be noted that log cabin construction really hasn't changed in years so its quite possible that one cabin may share similarities with another. nothing to get all huffy about though.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Ridiculous doesnt begin to describe your complaint.

What it must be like to spend all day every day looking for things to be offended by.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Your joking right?

Has public education gotten so bad that they don't even teach how Lincoln was born in a small cabin in the middle of the woods?

Dear god.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I don't see the conspiracy.
Lincoln was born in log cabin in Kentucky.
The penny design looks like the cabin was supposed to look like.
I have no problem with this.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I feel dumb, lol , I dont know what uncle tom's cabin means

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Oh cool is the new penny silver! I can now mistake them for dimes when searching through my pockets in front of the gamestop cashiers.

Seriously though, I see nothing racists about a log cabin on a coin. This is another non issue. and who is Uncle Tom?

nevermind don't answer that last question

[edit on 9-4-2009 by OrangeJuice]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
They're just commemorating the fact that Obama's in office. Uncle Tom and all.

Before anyone gets offended at that remark ... I'm only referring to the fact that Obama is a puppet. Geesh.. why did I even feel like I had to explain my comment.

I am offended that people get offended so easily. There - that's better.

[edit on 9/4/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I will admit I don't know crap or give a crap about where Ex-president Lincon was born. I also don't know exactly what Uncle Tom's cabin was. (yes, public education has failed.) I do know it's a popular slur toward african americans.

What I'm saying is we now have a black president, and within his first year in office, lo and behold, there is a picture of a log cabin on American money.

You can say it's Lincoln's birthplace all you want, or even Jesus's birthplace for that matter, but it doesen't take a great conspiracist to see the implications.

plus I am only offended by the sophomoric attitude of the people who thought up that little dig.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Sheesh. Some people see racism everywhere. It's all a conspiracy, you see. Why is paper white, and you write on it with black ink? Because it represents the black man subjugated to the whims of the plane of all-white sameness... or something like that.

There are a lot of things in this world that are worth getting worked up over. This is not one of them.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by presidentI also don't know exactly what Uncle Tom's cabin was. (yes, public education has failed.) I do know it's a popular slur toward african americans.

That's great. You have no clue what it is or who Uncle Tom is but you know it's a slur.

In no time at all we wont be able to communicate with each other. Between the pervasiveness of "ghetto-speak" and "l33t" text and an entire generation or more running around with attitudes of absolute certainty propped up not by knowledge or information but by "I heard that..." and "Seems like..." we're all doomed.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by president

sounds like there is only one racist here....

Your attempt is sad...and pathetic. Its a penny with a log cabin on the back representing AL's birthplace...but since your a racist and don't care about AL or the presidency why are you even complaining? ...oh wait, I bet you think Obama is the "bomb"....

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
I feel dumb, lol , I dont know what uncle tom's cabin means

Good for you.
We all need to forget about this stuff and put it all behind us as a country, but there are some poverty pimps out there that always reminds us of these things because they depend on it for their survival.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by president
I will admit I don't know crap or give a crap about where Ex-president Lincon was born. I also don't know exactly what Uncle Tom's cabin was. (yes, public education has failed.) I do know it's a popular slur toward african americans.

What I'm saying is we now have a black president, and within his first year in office, lo and behold, there is a picture of a log cabin on American money.

You can say it's Lincoln's birthplace all you want, or even Jesus's birthplace for that matter, but it doesen't take a great conspiracist to see the implications.

plus I am only offended by the sophomoric attitude of the people who thought up that little dig.

This is exactly the problem, you're complaining about your lack of basic knowledge of the history of this country. It has less to do with Obama than my barn cats. f you want something to be offended about, start with the elementary school you attended because your parents got ripped off. sheesh

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by president
I do know it's a popular slur toward african americans.

Yes, it is a popular slur toward african americans FROM african americans.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Lincoln is something of an American saint. There is a cult built around him, Obama, and JFK.

FDR doesn't get the praise but imo he was the best president America's ever had.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join