It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. May Deploy Troops in Korea Region

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   
WASHINGTON -- The Pentagon is considering new deployments in the Pacific Ocean to signal North Korea that the United States remains capable of blunting an attack in Korea despite its focus on possible war in Iraq.

No decision has been made, but Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld is considering options including sending an aircraft carrier to the waters off the Korean peninsula and adding bombers in Guam, officials said Monday.

Click Here

[Edited on 2-4-2003 by William One Sac]

posted on Feb, 4 2003 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Great!

I'll see you five miles up in the stratosphere!

You'll recognize me as I'll be in peices

posted on Feb, 4 2003 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Is the world just starting to get completly #ed up, or is this been happening for a while?

It was bad enough that my boyfriend just got sent to the Gulf last month, but i then find out that my squad are going on standby!

Does anyone think that we should just have a global pow-wow and talk things over!

posted on Feb, 4 2003 @ 06:14 AM
link   
As predicted the "war on terror" is simply the generation of an amorphous enemy of the state. Hence first afghanistan, next Iraq then Korea, its the begining of a political US global take over.

posted on Feb, 4 2003 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lupe_101
As predicted the "war on terror" is simply the generation of an amorphous enemy of the state. Hence first afghanistan, next Iraq then Korea, its the begining of a political US global take over.

Come on Lupe, even you that's BS. All these countries have shown tendencies to take the path of violence rather than peace. You should feel lucky that someone is ready to take on the responsiblity, allowing you to whine in safety. One day you will see just how wrong your views have been.

posted on Feb, 4 2003 @ 08:13 AM
link   
1: The Bush Administration doesn't keep me safe, in fact one of the main reasons Britain could be on the recieving end of a terrorist attack is because of Blairs close ties to Bush.
2: The US has laid no parameters over this war against terrorism. We have already demonstrated that there are countrys with equally tyranical leaders building their own WMD's that we are not going to attack leading me to conclude that those we do are getting it in the neck for political rather than humanitarian reasons.
3: The US has instigated regime change in afghanistan, is about to do it in Iraq and may well move onto Korea. then where? If they continue to behave in this manner then the only conclusion one can draw is that they intend to dominate the global politic to their own ends.

If your asking me if I'd rather Saddam did it, the answers no, though partially thats because he simply doesn't have the resources to get away with it.

If your asking me if I think anyone doing it is a good thing the aswers equally no.

posted on Feb, 4 2003 @ 09:19 AM
link   
William, my brother has been overdue to return from his post at the DMZ in Korea for about 6 months. Now they're saying they may keep troops there for another six months.

It can't be easy for him; both his wife and daughter are with him. His son is also in the Army, though I don't know if they'll send Garret over to Korea as well.

My son's ship is safely in port in Hawaii now, thank goodness. We're still antsy over what may happen next.

Ravenstar: Yeah, I think we all need to sit down and talk. I don't think gunslinging's gonna help.

posted on Feb, 4 2003 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The Us already deploys troops there, William 1, and the Vinson or other carrier moves would merely be restationing of Pacific Fleet units.
this is still Poker-101 - and I wish I owned a bar in Guam.

posted on Feb, 4 2003 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Speaking is better than war. But what if the other side doesn't want to speak with you, or if they are speaking with you,but are asking really too much ?

And you know Lupe, if there is a war in Korea, I'm pretty sure that my gov will not forget to put my name in the list of soldiers who'll have to go fight in Korea. And believe me, I DON'T WANT TO DO WAR. I don't want to leave my wife, my daughter and the rest of my family.

But I know that sometimes we don't have the choice, cuz the other side doesn't let you the choice.

Those tyrants, they all will go burn in Hell for what they did and what they are doing now !

posted on Feb, 4 2003 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Byrd I really hope your brother makes it out of there soon. Unfortunately I think that whoever is there is going to stay there until things hopefully cool down.

Estragon, agreed, however the stakes are considerably higher in this case. I realize that the Asian people in general are master tacticians, however I really get the impression that the N. Koreans are desperate. Maybe their threats are blustering and perhaps the US's threats are as well, but as Raven said I would much rather see talks going on than troop deployments.

A bar in Guam? Ha ha ha! You would make out like a bandit but it would be a dirty chore scrubbing the blood and picking up the bits of broken teeth each morning.

[Edited on 2-4-2003 by William One Sac]

posted on Feb, 4 2003 @ 12:25 PM
link   
N.Korea has been trying to get the US to sign a non-aggression pact since Oct.2002, but the Bushies refuse. if Rummy makes the decision to send troops or any type of military presence it won't be because they have exhausted all diplomatic solutions. Powell has said several times that they aren't talking directly to the N.Korean government. this leads me to think that force is the only option being considered to stop N.Korea. obviously threats aren't going to work and they aren't talking them.

what is needed in N.Korea is diplomacy. there are diplomatic solutions but, they aren't being explored.
and all the while time is passing two or three months ago they were saying it will only take N.Korea six months to go nuclear. then what? all violent leverage will be gone. they'll have mutually assured destruction. sending troops to threaten and intimidate isn't a solution to this problem. our bluff has already been called. it's time to really start talking.

posted on Feb, 4 2003 @ 03:46 PM
link   
This is a logical move. We're showing North Korea that we still have our eye on them while taking care of business elsewhere.

They will be taken care of in due time...

posted on Feb, 4 2003 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I saw on the news yesterday that B-52's have been deployed to Guam, i dont have a link though, i'll look for some things

new topics

top topics

join