It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Frightening, Unsolved and Disturbing Incident of Nine Dead Skiers

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Mentioned again on Moscow TV recently:

Moscow RenTV [16 Oct 2010 0900 UT]
"Military Secret" program, presenter: Igor Prokopenko, item 5. start at 46m55s
In February 1959 a group of nine mountaineers died in the north Urals. Fireballs of unknown origin were observed over the place where they were later found dead. Time magazine later published the theory that plasma weapons had been tested there; locals said that it was the wrath of local gods.
Correspondent reports inconclusively on the case, with archive/reconstruction video of the expedition and subsequent search, with comment from Aleksandr Chernikov, a forensic expert; Aleksey Koskin, author of independent research; and Aleksey Komanev, coordinator of the Urals expert commission on abnormal phenomena.
Moscow RenTV in Russian is a TV network owned by Kremlin-allied businesses Severstal and Surgutneftegaz and the German company RTL; its audience is small but its news programs have been the most independent and outspoken in Russia.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by subject xI agree I think if we try to figure out what could have scared them that bad as to leave their tents that quickly,I think whatever scared them it was something that they had never seen before something unusual something that petrified them so bad that they scattered from the campsite and if the military was involved it was classified and had to do with the spheres that were witnessed.from what I've read these people were scared like you and I will probably never know..

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Hey there Oz,

This is the first time I've seen this thread ... I must have missed it the first time around !

'The Dyatlov Incident' is one of the topics I covered on my website;

pastlivesparanormalandpagans.webeden.co.uk...

It's a case that has fascinated me for many years because it really is a genuine mystery with little more than speculative offerings of explanation. I love the fact that this is one of the few cases that even the most ardent of sceptics has not been able to dismiss with total confidence.

Everything about the case was odd ... but specifically the facts that the clothes worn by 'some' of the victims revealed high radiation read-outs ... the victims themselves were negative for radiation. And whilst the bodies showed no external trauma ... the autopsies revealed massive internal injuries (how can this be) ?

But what really took this case into a different dimension (way beyond the usual 'unsolved' mystery fodder) for me ... was the fact that this is the same area of the Urals, where the tiny metal spirals were found in huge quantities on multiple occasions during the 1990's.

These 'metalllic spirals' are quite infamous in their own right ... but I'm not so sure that many people are aware that the spirals were found in the same location that the Dyatlov Incident occured. Under analysis these spirals proved to be a very fine metallic compond ... that were wrapped around an internal core (like those found in a lightbulb filament) ... and it was determined that they were definately not natural formations but manufactured ... and heres where it gets really bizarre ... they were dated to be somewhere between 80,000 yrs old - 100,000 yrs old.

The latter is mentioned on my other website - The Atlantean Analysis (specifically Chapter 6 'Hi-Tech Ancients') because of the implications such results make (maps of the Urals and photographs of the spirals are included on the site);

theatlanteananalysis.webeden.co.uk

Oz, I really hope this thread fully re-emerges ... I for one would love to hear the opinions that people might have concerning these strange events / finds ... and if there could possibly be any kind of link between the two ... after all ... on the same night as the Dyatlov Incident another ski-hiking expedition, some 50 kilometers away ... reported seeing 'orange orbs' in the sky over the area where Dyatlov and his team were camping.

Again, was there a connection ?

I guess the truth is, we will never know for sure ... but there do seem to be many loose ends that have no logical explanation.

And even if it was something more down to earth ... as in, the result of some kind of secret testing / maneouvers by the Russians ... surely by now more details would have surfaced.

Whether this is the result of paranormal ... alien ... or terrestrial intervention ... the fact remains it is mystery in the true sense of the word !

Woody

>>>PS

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I think there is a lot of very good analysis here:

www.aquiziam.com...

www.aquiziam.com...

Couple of main points:

1. There was radiation, but it was not excessive and was found mainly one of the two ladies coats. It could be that fallout from nuclear testing and prevailing winds deposited it along the path they took.

2. The avalanche theory doesn't fit at all:

The slope is running the wrong way and if an avalanche had happened, it would have bypassed the tent, which is to be expected when you have an experienced group of hikers like these people were. Even the snow there was the wrong kind to be conducive to avalanches. Finally, there was zero evidence of one having happened anywhere in the area.

It's possible that they heard an avalanche somewhere else nearby; sound does funny things up in the mountains, and cold clear air really allows distant sounds to carry a long ways.

But again, this was an experienced group who chose the location to camp carefully. Doubtless they had heard avalanches in the distance before and should have had faith in the safety of their location or would not have chosen to camp there in the first place.

What I want to know is what in the world could make nine, experienced and sensible, ski-hikers abandon their tent in the middle of the night, and in such a hurry that they didn't get dressed properly.

They fled, ripping their tent open and into a frigid night, some of them in their underwear and shoeless, in weather conditions that were hostile and almost certain to lead to their deaths.

Whatever it was, it must have scared the hell out of them.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
By the way, that popular photo showing hikers with a rifle is not from this group, it's actually a photo from a previous expedition.

It's interesting that no animal tracks were found, and the tent showed no signs of shredding as if a bear had attacked; the first people on the scene reported it had been cut open from the inside. Besides wouldn't bears be hybernating by Feb 2?

It comes down again to what could have happened to make them want to get out of that tent so badly?

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sk1951

In 1959, nine experienced Russian cross-country skiers - seven men and two women, including the leader, Igor Dyatlov - head to the Ural Mountains, to a slope called Kholat Syakhl (Mansi language for "Mountain of the Dead," ahem)Maybe a clue?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
My my, sorry for the bump, but I love bizarre cases and this one is exceptionally great.
I have read the thread from beginning to end, and I want to say a few things (although a reiteration, I hope this is some sort of "summary" of what has been said so far, to refresh the memory of those who read this a while ago and to provide the basics for those who would like to read it all).

* It's impossible there was some sort of animal there. It has been said before. No animal tracks. For what I understand, only human tracks were found.
* I strongly doubt there was an avalanche. This has been covered before too: The footprints were still visible, and neither the camp or the people were found completely under snow. If the avalanche could have happened in the forest itself, wouldn't the investigators find trees that are slightly (or strongly) bended over? It's not my topic of expertise, but I believe an avalanche would have left evidence - no such evidence is mentioned in the reports, or at least, not that I have found.
* I like the whole infrasound/ultrasound explanations. Someone should definitely go deeper researching that.
* Things that can't be completely explained are: 1) Why would one of the skiers try to climb a tree, and why would they cut the tent from the inside to escape? Whether it was an illusion or not, or they want nuts "passively", this really deserves to be researched more.
* The place was closed in a second, there were orange orbs sighted there.

Something definitely happened there. It could be anything really: A psychological effect caused by something or there was definitely something there. Again, the guy who cut the tent to escape... Why would he do that? Rationally speaking, there would only be a need to do that if something was blocking him. Were there any footprints right at the entrance of the tent that have yet to be identified? I think that would solve many things for us.

Also, can someone tell me what happened to the guy who survived? Any interviews of him or anything? No one mentioned what happened to him or I completely missed it.

Oz, I certainly admire your work. You are not the best writer in the world (pft, I'm not really the one to talk
), but you put a lot of effort in your threads. This is really wonderful information. I started to read it at 3:00 AM and was scared like hell. I don't know how I managed to sleep.
edit on 7 28 1111 by Cricious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Lets look at the facts.

The 9 hikers were due to return on Feb. 12 but didn't, resulting in a search.

The remains of the camp was located on Feb. 26 on the slope of Kholat Syakhl. The tent was damaged and partially covered in snow. There was a small chain of footprints leading away from the tent but were covered with snow after 500 meters.

The first two bodies were located at the edge of the forest beneath an old pine. Three more bodies were found 300 - 600 meters away from the pine. A medical examination found that all 5 of them had died of hypothermia, however one of them had a slightly fractured skull.

It was not until May that the final 4 bodies were found buried under 12 feet of snow in a nearby ravine. 3 of the bodies were found with fatal wounds. A severely fractured skull and 2 chest fractures. One victim was missing her tongue.

So what does this add up to? Here is my theory.

At least 5 members of the party were in the woods while the remaining 4 were in the tent. An avalanche struck, instantly killing 4 members of the party and injuring the fifth(the one with the non-fatal fractured skull). One victim accidentally bit her own tongue off during the avalanche.

Meanwhile, those in the tent were forced to cut themselves out of the tent from the inside. The survivor of the avalanche most likely made his way back to camp to get help. In a panic, the others most likely attempted to locate and dig out their friends.

As the night wore on, hypothermia began to set in. The survivors exhausted the last of their energy trying to dig out their friends and one-by-one simply froze to death. The last two survivors most likely attempted to make a fire but by then, it was too late.

Now is the story of radioactive clothing true? Probably not. Is the story of the victims having orangish skin true? Possibly. They were lying exposed to the elements for over 2 weeks.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I have not read this whole thread yet, but i eventually will.
I just found out about this story from the recent "ancient aliens series season 3 ep 10 "aliens and evil places" and this story seemed very interesting to me. almost like its out from an x-files episode.
Anyway here's the ancient aliens episode:

The Mt. Otorten story starts at about "10:38".

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I think that last avalanche idea sounds pretty plausible, but I have two other ideas that fit the evidence.

I. They found psychedellic mushrooms and went crazy after mistaking them for edible ones and eating them.

2. A Yeti came upon one group scaring them enough that they jumped into the ravine and sustained injuries.
The other skiers in the camp heard the Yeti screaming and ran off in all directions and died of hypothermia.
The Yeti screams caused an avalanche that scared him off and covered up his tracks.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

That explanation sounds more plausable. But the brown skin color, Grey hair Color and the the radioactivity still present a puzzle.

And not to mention this has been covered up and all the evidence has gone missing and it has been filed as 'Top Secret'. Why the secrecy it it was just an accident due to an avalanche?

Something is not right here!!!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevcolx
reply to post by allenidaho

That explanation sounds more plausable. But the brown skin color, Grey hair Color and the the radioactivity still present a puzzle.

And not to mention this has been covered up and all the evidence has gone missing and it has been filed as 'Top Secret'. Why the secrecy it it was just an accident due to an avalanche?

Something is not right here!!!

For the russian investigators this had nothing to do with an avalanche....Soviet investigators determined only that the 9 skiers died because of "a compelling unknown force". It is obvious that a "a compelling unknown force" would turn out to be Top Secret material for the soviets.
edit on 11-10-2011 by hateeternal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
That's not true. The incident has never been top secret. Only conspiracy theorists say it is because they can't read Russian.

During the investigation, there was no radiation detected. The search party and investigators did not bring anything with them that would have detected it. Nor did any of the victims appear to have gray hair. Again, these are myths perpetuated by conspiracy theorists.

In the original report, the cause of death of the first 5 discovered bodies was found to be hypothermia. The report lists them as Doroshenko, Krivonischenko, Woodpeckers (Dyatlov), Kolmogorov and Slobodin. They were discovered in February. Their clothing had been found positioned around the attempted fire, leading investigators to believe that they had been attempting to warm or dry their clothes.

The other bodies were found under 4 meters of snow on May 4th and were fully dressed. They are listed as Dubinin, Zolotarev and Tibo-Brignol.

Dubinin was found to have had several broken ribs and died as a result of a bone cutting his heart.
Zolotarev was found to have severely broken ribs on his right side.
Tibo-Brignol was found to have a chest hemmhorage and fatal skull fracture.
Two of these victims were wearing watches which had stopped at 8:14 pm and 8:39pm.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by allenidaho
Two of these victims were wearing watches which had stopped at 8:14 pm and 8:39pm.

That's interesting...why would the watches stop??

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hateeternal

The owners weren't alive to wind them.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It was most likely due to the force of the snow that covered them. Much like how a victim's watch will stop in a car wreck.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

The owners weren't alive to wind them.

assuming they were manual and not automatic.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Obviously.

But thinking that this happened in 1959, I think the probability of the watches being manual his relatively hihg.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by allenidahoIn the original report, the cause of death of the first 5 discovered bodies was found to be hypothermia. The report lists them as Doroshenko, Krivonischenko, Woodpeckers (Dyatlov), Kolmogorov and Slobodin. They were discovered in February. Their clothing had been found positioned around the attempted fire, leading investigators to believe that they had been attempting to warm or dry their clothes.

The other bodies were found under 4 meters of snow on May 4th and were fully dressed. They are listed as Dubinin, Zolotarev and Tibo-Brignol.

Dubinin was found to have had several broken ribs and died as a result of a bone cutting his heart.
Zolotarev was found to have severely broken ribs on his right side.
Tibo-Brignol was found to have a chest hemmhorage and fatal skull fracture.

Well this does seem to support the avalanche theory, but I have to wonder why the four who were found fully clothed buried in the ravine were in the woods in the first place. They already had camp setup and it was late in the evening. It seems like they would have been settled in for the night, not out roaming the frigid woods in the dark.

Also, people keep saying that visible footprints means there couldn't have been an avalanche, actually the opposite is true. If an avalanche struck and partially buried the tent, when they cut their way out and headed off to (presumably) search for their friends, there would have been footprints on top of the fresh snow cover.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join