It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish Building house on the moon?!?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
From Article:

WHO needs the International Space Station? Swedish researchers are readying a robot to build a flat-pack house on the moon.

They say the small cottage will stand as a symbol of what humankind can achieve, the Advertiser reports.

The project is a collaboration between Sweden's Malardalen University and artist Mikael Genberg, who reportedly has approached the country's flat-pack furniture giant Ikea for sponsorship.

"If you aim for the stars, at least you'll reach the treetops, or even the moon," said Malardalen professor Lars Asplund.

The cottage is to be erected on the moon's surface by 2012 by a small robot known as "Roony", developed by Malardalen.

By 2012..... that number just keeps on cropping up doesn't it?

Source : News.com.au

Mod Note: How to Quote– Please Review This Link.

[edit on Thu Apr 9 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I really do hope this happens, tho i seriously doubt it will. It comes to me as a wonder that the American's haven't placed anything like this on the moon (besides um.... the flag lol). Wouldn't it be nice to look through our telescopes and see a little red house on the moon.... then again maybe we should watch out for the greeny's. No doubt the moon has a right to decide what fashion accesories it wears

Cherry

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I actually think it's a really cool idea! It may even serve to ignite (or reignite) some people's interest in human exploration of space, people whom until now have given it the cold shoulder.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Those KERRRRAZY swedes.. I hope it fits together better than the stuff we get from IKEA then, some of the stuffs terrible , some of the joints are loose, and the edges not straight, so imagine it in a vaccuum, all the air would rush out and then it would probably collapse in an almost comedy style just as the astronauts are about to step across the threshold.
Failing that I wonder if they are planning on using a haulage firm to get it to the moon and if they'd have to book a time slot for it to arrive in?
AM or PM sir?
Saying that I hope they build it like their Volvo cars, bullet proof and reliable..
Go Swedes....

But other than that at least their trying to get something together unlike NASA who almost seem to be dragging their heels on a moonbase.

[edit on 9/4/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
[edit on 9-4-2009 by cloudbreak]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudbreak

so true cloudbreak. And i'm sure people would pay for it as well.... I mean the government can't seem to get enough of our money atm lol.

Cherry

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I couldn't help myself, I had to photoshop a few "Boklok's" (Ikea's flatpack houses) into a lunar surface picture to get a better idea of what it would look like.....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f14572a02988.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
What a complete waste of resources and money.Why don't they put something useful up there.
Very good marketing ploy from ikea though pretty much a billboard on the moon

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

You need to photoshop a Saab into that picture.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azador
What a complete waste of resources and money.

Agree, the Swedes should learn how to build houses in Sweden first.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ivar_Karlsen
reply to post by Kryties

You need to photoshop a Saab into that picture.

Here you go...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7d5de1878508.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Volvo would be better
Besides what's the point of putting a house in a place where a tiny fragment of meteorite would disintegrate it easily?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Brilliant

Gonna use that pic as a desktop background

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherryDuck
I really do hope this happens, tho i seriously doubt it will. It comes to me as a wonder that the American's haven't placed anything like this on the moon (besides um.... the flag lol). Wouldn't it be nice to look through our telescopes and see a little red house on the moon.... then again maybe we should watch out for the greeny's. No doubt the moon has a right to decide what fashion accesories it wears

Cherry

imagine if we had settlements on the moon.

We could actually communicate via written messages or hand gestures if the telescopes used to look at each other back and forth were powerfull enough.

Imagine being able to wave to your friend on the moon in real time........

That is amazing to think about.

Or people will just watch people on the moon instead of reality tv.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
April fool!

Second line.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
April fool!

Second line.

The news article is dated 9/4.

p.s dear ATS admin please fix your stupid reply to button

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Azador

of course it is i live in australia forth month of the year. lol it says so on the side!!

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherryDuck
reply to post by Azador

of course it is i live in australia forth month of the year. lol it says so on the side!!

damn sorry i just got what you where saying.. had a few too many lol, don't mind me... lala lalalala,

Cherry

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CherryDuck

That will be great, perhaps the man on the moon has better luck than me working out how to assemble a swedish IKEA flatpack! Perhaps they can also send a volvo, that would be great, a mad scandahooligan in a volvo on the moon with a flatpack on the roof rack, looking for a place to piss someone else off other than me, on my bike.... I reckon they should deck out the volvo with the full ABBA soundtrack set.... what a way to impress the neighbours... WTF.....

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
That poor little robot.

It's gonna get to the moon and realize that the flatpack is missing 2 crucial bolts. Also, one of the screw holes will already be stripped out and the screw threads won't grab.

top topics

join