It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dramatic Image Shows Volcano's Lightning (Redoubt)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
This picture is amazing.

For the first time, scientists have been able to "see" and trace lightning inside a plume of ash spewing from an actively erupting volcano.

When Alaska's Mount Redoubt volcano began rumbling back to life in January, a team of researchers scrambled to set up a system called a Lightning Mapping Array that would be able to peer through the dust and gas of any eruption that occurred to the lightning storm happening within. Lightning is known to flash in the tumultuous clouds belched out during volcanic eruptions.

Read entire article

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
wow, just wow! that is beautiful!
star for you!

Isnt Nature just Awesome?!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Great Picture!!

Wonder if there is any difference between that lightning and the regular lightning? Probably a dumb question but doesn't hurt to ask?

We waited for weeks if not months for that to go, glad that got a great shot of it!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
That's really bizarre and rather beautiful...
Looks terribly dangerous. Imagine if this sort of thing became frequent....volcanic activity+lightning..all over the world...
Surreal, reminds me of dreams I've had

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
WOW, Nice Photograph!

I am glad that Mt. Redoubt chose to delay its most active status until after most of the Iditarod was complete. The Ash is bad enough for people, but can you imagine the dogs?

Raw Power sure does have its beauty however, when it is respectfully observed from a safe distance that is.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Raw Power sure does have its beauty however, when it is respectfully observed from a safe distance that is.

You got that right. I think I would be pretty nervous even at that distance. With my luck a bolt would find my camera and BBQ me.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Most Beautiful indeed!!!

quite resembles a Balrog don't you think?

no LOTR(Books Only) geeks here?...just me...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Great Picture!!

Wonder if there is any difference between that lightning and the regular lightning? Probably a dumb question but doesn't hurt to ask?

Nope, no difference. Lighting is caused by a build up of static charge. Dust within the clouds of volcanoes, and even in smoke from a fire have the ability to build up a huge amount of charge, and when the positive and negatively charged bits of these particles seperate, they create thunder and lighting. The gap thats left between the particles rapidly superheats causing the phenomenen

Hope that explains it a bit

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
strangely enough the pic reminds me of the special effects from scifi classic the forbidden planet

it's like the monster from the id is coming to get us, wooooo

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I didn't see lightning this time during the eruption, but back in 1990, it was visibly to the naked eye. it was crazy, blood red and bright, shooting from pitch blackness to pitch blackness lighting up the ash cloud in flash of red.

it literally looked like hell, but it was beautiful. strange how those two descriptions can be used to describe the same event.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by dkman222]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dkman222

I am sure it was an amazing sight. I wish I could see something like that with my own eyes. The article said that photo was taken during this eruption using a new special filter or ccd something to that effect, to be able to see through the ash.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
That's beautiful!

I have heard of lightning in volcanoes before but I have never seen a picture taken of it.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I live in Fairbanks, AK so this volcano is always in the news up here. We are far enough away though that we don't have to worry about ash clouds or anything. From what I understand the ash is very abrasive/jagged and can be extremely harmful to your health if inhaled. I heard on the radio once that the ash is used in certain Industrial applications because of it's abrasive properties (maybe for sand-blasting or something? Don't know).

I first heard about the mount redoubt lightning on the CNN website which also showed one of the photos. I was going to post a thread on the topic but found this one first.

I thought i would mention that the yahoo news article posted by the OP was not the original news release of this article. That can be found HERE.

I've been searching for additional photograph images of this volcanic lightning. Pretty amazing images. So far this is what I've found.

Following images from..
www.boston.com...

Next images from...
www.loe.org...

These next images from National Geographic site located HERE

Also, I found this interesting story..
Engineers Map Volcanic Lightning Which sais that volcanic lightning could actually preclude eruption events to where the lightning can provide warnings that an eruption is imminent.

-ChriS

[edit on 27-4-2009 by BlasteR]

new topics

top topics

join