It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electricity and death

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I've been thinking about how the body works and what happens when we die.
Our body is physical and functions by electrical signals being directed by the brain etc.

I've been thinking that when we die, because our body and memories are physical and memories physically stored we truly do die because we'd leave it all behind on death..

I think that if life after death is possible, we wouldn't have consciousness because we wouldn't have a body to enable functionality unless the electricity running through us while we are alive, is imprinted on the dimension we exist on after death. But wait, read on

Really, there wouldn't be a dimension to exist on after death -If our mind is electricity, then when we die, would it just earth itself and join with the electricity inside the earth? I don't know much about electricity and that's why I have come here to fill in the gaps.

My questions:
Is it true energy can't be destroyed?
When we die does the electricity go into the earth?

[edit on 9/4/2009 by nightrun]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by nightrun

"My questions:
When we die does the electricity go into the earth? "

There are Laws of Thermodynamics. I am trying to recall that chapter when I took sophomore physics....

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Generally, yes, the electricity in the brain disperses upon death. But that doesn't mean that your 'memories' become part of the earth. Think of it this way - if you drop a cell phone into a bucket of water, does that bucket suddenly 'know' all of your texts and pictures? No, it doesn't.

The brian functions by sending electrical impulses across different pathways. These cellular pathways are what give people their memories, consciousnesses, and the like. Just like the phone, the circuitry is still there, but the energy that makes those circuits active isn't.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I actually intended to say that memories and body function are physical and stay with the physical body after death. Just trying to put it all in stone so that I know my stuff.

I guess there isn't that much people can say about this, so to further the discussion a little and toss around ideas and theories, I'd like to hear what people have to say about it..

[edit on 9/4/2009 by nightrun]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
What you feel in your body is your spirit. The electricity is energy of the spirit. The mind is not the brain and is not in the body. The mind is matter, as the body is, but it exists at higher planes. The spirit is the "knowing",. The intellect is a survival facility, nothing more. "Knowing", "Being" is must higher than the body or mind. Intellect is a facility provided for existence in matter just as instinct is. You can theorize what exists on the other side of the hill, you can intellectualize it, philosophize about it, exchange ideas about it, but only when you get on the other side of the hill and see what is there you know and all the pretending of the intellect becomes irrelevant. Your spirit always survives from incarnation to incarnation and the mind too, perpetuates while the spirit has to remain in matter. The brain contains the higher centers associated with inner regions as has numerous valuable functions, but it doesn't own the spirit but is merely animated by the spirit.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightrun
My questions:
When we die does the electricity go into the earth?

I've considered something similar to this. The brain/spinal/nervous does seem to contain everything we are, or consider ourselves to be. Memories, abilities, intellect, cunning, control, etc.

From what I learned in High School, "Energy cannot be created or destroyed." So take that for what it's worth.

From the little I do know about electricity, it seeks the earth if it's connected to it by conductive materials, such as a human body or grounding wire. I don't know where it goes if it's in an airplane in the sky, or on a rubber mat.(probably b/c I'm not an expert on the subject.)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReelView
What you feel in your body is your spirit. The electricity is energy of the spirit. The mind is not the brain and is not in the body. The mind is matter, as the body is, but it exists at higher planes. The spirit is the etc etc

That's an interesting message, I'll have to think about it sometime.
What I'd like to ask you is if we had a world where religion was never created, would a spirit theory ever be created? If so how can anyone know a spirit exists without any physical proof? I'm not trying to bash, I'm trying to learn. The world as I see it now is how it is. Dimensions and other layers of physical existence haven't been proven yet to my knowledge.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
For myself, I believe the brain more or less creates the mind, and the nerve impulses pass through synapses to give information to the physical body to motivate, walk whatever. For, in grand mal epilepsy, the synapse is broken or does not work correctly and that causes the seizure activity. All that activity has to do with neurons and molecules and stuff I really don't understand that well. To me, the mind is the spirit or soul of a physical body and is not electricity. Ashes to ashes and dust to dust is what becomes of the physical body and I don't know what happens to the
spirit.

If any of this makes any sense, its kinda late here.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Actually you raise a good point even if you hadn't intended to.
Hard for me to explain it so I won't. I think i got the answers I was looking for

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I think your memories have to be stored somehow in your brain, via some chemical and electrical interaction. And that on death those memories don't perhaps instantly disappear, that they deteriorate as your brain & body does.

Rather like a CD which over a few hundred years will degenerate to the point its information becomes unreadable, although obviously over a much faster timescale.

Maybe future technology will allow us to tap into someone's memories when they die, that memory collection will become as routine a part of the "death business" as preparing the body for the funeral. Heavens, what a frightening thought. I wouldn't want my Grandchildren tapping into my teenage memories, they'd think me such a hypocrite !

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Lass
I think your memories have to be stored somehow in your brain, via some chemical and electrical interaction. And that on death those memories don't perhaps instantly disappear, that they deteriorate as your brain & body does.

Rather like a CD which over a few hundred years will degenerate to the point its information becomes unreadable, although obviously over a much faster timescale.

Reminds me of "Ghost in the Shell" for some reason or other.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Lass
Maybe future technology will allow us to tap into someone's memories when they die, that memory collection will become as routine a part of the "death business" as preparing the body for the funeral. Heavens, what a frightening thought. I wouldn't want my Grandchildren tapping into my teenage memories, they'd think me such a hypocrite !

I like this idea a lot. It will be an option we can tick just like donating our organs when we die. It would probably make death a little less disturbing for some because all our experiences wouldn't go to waste, instead we'd have a bunch of people wanting to learn from the deceased and see what they saw. Nice post

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nightrun

You would enjoy this BBC Horizon documentary .
It examines some of the possibilities you covered in the OP.

Human 2.0

Google Video Link

Meet the scientific prophets who claim we are on the verge of creating a new type of human - a human v2.0.

It's predicted that by 2029 computer intelligence will equal the power of the human brain. Some believe this will revolutionise humanity - we will be able to download our minds to computers extending our lives indefinitely. Others fear this will lead to oblivion by giving rise to destructive ultra intelligent machines.

One thing they all agree on is that the coming of this moment - and whatever it brings - is inevitable.

BBC

edit to add:video info
[edit on 10-4-2009 by UmbraSumus]

[edit on 10-4-2009 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The physical body is the known of ourselves. More so than the spiritual side of ourselves. The physical body we can collectively experience, we can see each other with out eyes, touch, etc. We can all agree that we have bodies and to some extent we can all agree how they work.

The spiritual side of ourselves is something non-tangible. It becomes an abstract concept. It cannot be agreed upon in this instance, because an abstract concept can take many forms.

To me personally I do believe in a spiritual side of ourselves. I do believe we go on from the physical death of our bodies. I don't believe we lose our memories of our lives. I believe our physical self to be like the catapillar stage of a butterfly; in that death is merely a very big transformation. It is the change from this stage of existence into another stage.

Why and how do I support my beliefs? With even more abstract concepts, like feelings and impressions and what feels right.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Thank you so much for that video!
Watching right now. Quite coincidence that it had harry potter music in the beginning, and I just finished watching the first Harry Potter movie maybe 10mins ago.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
As Energy can not be created, nor destroyed - but only manipulated... I've wondered too about certain aspects after death.

When it comes to stored memories - I believe these memories are stored in different areas of the brain (frontal/parietal lobes) - but also in the body itself. This is an idea that needs another thread all together, but I think it ties into this topic.

Cut and Dried, I think that when we die - our consciousness as we know it, dies.

But, the energy in the body, that drives this body - Life - what happens to it?

I don't know... I guess we'll find out when we get to the other side...

- Carrot

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightrunThe world as I see it now is how it is. Dimensions and other layers of physical existence haven't been proven yet to my knowledge.

Don't be so close minded. Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there. I think string theory/super string theory/M theory are starting to reveal other dimensions although I'm not sure how substantiated those claims are. But as my friend on the philosophy-forum thread I link further down this post says: "there is a good deal that is not immediately apparent about consciousness and reality"

Originally posted by dragonking76
From what I learned in High School, "Energy cannot be created or destroyed." So take that for what it's worth.

Let me ask: Where did all the energy that surrounds you, the energy that makes you up...the energy that makes up this whole universe and anything beyond it...where did that all come from?

The following thread is related to this, philosophy-forums: www.philosophyforum.com...
I am "GHOST"

What's spoken of in that thread is slightly related to what we are talking about here but my view is basically this: We can manipulate reality with our minds and it's our actual self-awareness...our intelligence and cognitive functioning that gives us the ability to live into the after life, it gives us belief, willpower, and intent. If you can manipulate reality and understand that reality really has no rules...only those which we conjure up and set in stone believing to be truth. It's like the secret (manipulation of reality with the mind using belief, intent and willpower) That's the key...that energy that flows through your brain...it can flow whether or not it has a physical substance to flow through...if you can hold it together...you could totally give up on life all together and drop dead right now because you loose the motive and the intent to live...and your consciousness falls apart...the energy just stops flowing in a way needed to compute and allow cognitive function...you no longer enforce the will and strength to hold it together.

That's the thing, we don't need to enforce the belief we will live on, as I said, having self-awareness gives us that, just realizing ones own existence empowers us with the ability to "hold together" our consciousness upon death...your mind doesn't just fall apart and all it's energy draw into the Earth...the energy may change form...and it may not flow through physical substance...but it still flows. I find this possibly the most difficult thing I could try to explain...but I hope it made some sense.

For my whole paper on how I think we can manipulate reality with our minds, check out this thread: Enforced Logic - Reality and "Magic"

EDIT: Fixed quote.

[edit on 12/4/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Yes, according to present day physic laws, your right, energy is just transferred. So where does our 'energies' go to?

These topics will relly give you food for thought-

-Orgone-
en.wikipedia.org...

-Etheric plane-
en.wikipedia.org...

-Aether theories-
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 12-4-2009 by geo1066]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I feel that during your life the majority of the energy that your body creates is used to keep you alive. Some of your energy transfers to other people as memories of you. When I die I belive parts of me remain in the memories of those that are still alive. I don't want to die but when it happens I want to be remembered in a good way.

dlb

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

However, there has been a number of physicists in western countries whose research, currently considered fringe and controversial among the mainstream scientific community, shows evidence of the existence of the dynamic aether possessing a fluid crystal-like structure and permeating all space,[8][9] in an apparent accordance with recent experiments[10] and as formerly outlined by Theosophical and Rosicrucian esoteric schools; also their work attempt to provide solutions to tap this energy source that regulates quantum activity for the generation of pollution-free power[11] and other technological applications.[12]
- Wikipedia - Interesting stuff...I'll have to look into that some more.

Another question: Why is it that when I touch the Earth the electricity flowing through my brain for instance, doesn't ground into the Earth but when I die it does? What holds it there while I'm alive?

I'm guessing the answer to that is fairly complex, if we even have an answer...and it would be along the lines of our complex biological circuitry keeping it from grounding...and when we get old and that circuitry stops functioning all together it grounds?

[edit on 12/4/09 by CHA0S]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join