It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a situation I encountered today (faith vs. faith)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
So whatever religion you are this topic is not ent to discriminate or put down...in fact just quite the opposite.
Myself I dont consider very "religious" as in a set religion or belief
but I would say I'm spiritual adapting different beliefs of religions and pretty uch the basic principles that apply all across the board
perhaps my Reiki practice is the most religious thing you could consider about myself
Regardless I cae into a situation today at work I' sure many have expeirenced in one way or another. My very good friend recently has claimed to found God again and has started goin to church after having quite a bad drug problem, which I was glad to hear he got his life straightened out or was in the process rather
So he has been on a christianty kick latley which is fine I understand hes excited and happy but at work today we got into the discussion of my beliefs.I quickly came to explain to him the misconceptions he had of reiki and my meditation practice among other things..Doing my best to not be overzealous or act as if "my way is better" and in general just trying to explain the common grounds we have.
However it became apparent to me that he had also adopted an idea that if it was not directly from where he heard or originally read it..or if it wasnt part of the curriculum he was reading..then it goes against his beliefs and in therefore lesser to his ideals.
So I continued to try to explain to him that there are alot of common principles between us and the same friend of mine who 2 weeks ago was listening to death metal music with the lyrics "blame it on god" and in excess of any substance was now trying to say that my way would lead me to something other than positivity and a good life....
I have any christian friends and catholic friends who I kick it with and I had never encountered a sort of hostile defensive religious discussion with them before...
I've long since grown tired of arguing religion or spirtuality with religion or any combination of it.My focus is on trying to unite the common principles or atleast show tolerance to a certain degree.
Have any of you encountered a similar situation and in general how do any of you go about trying to explain the importance of Coexistance and unity of faiths?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Your friend has fallen for what I call " Denominationism"
en.wikipedia.org...

What happens is the said "denomination" promotes that "its" ideas are right and everyone else is wrong in some way. The "differences" can be slight to large but depending on the beliefs of the Denomination and how it is promoted, you may find yourself with someone you cannot talk to.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
You need to back off.

Addicts have one or two choices in their life. They can be an addict or they can find God and let that higher power keep them clean and sober.

Your friend is working the program that feels right for them. If it keeps them straight and sober you need to back off and let them do what they need to do.

Share your beliefs with those who feel comfortable hearing what you have to say. Share it with those who might not feel comfortable if you feel it's ok to push the limits.

Leave an addict to what they need at the moment to make it to the next day.

That's what a friend would do,

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

It would likely be for the best, but at what point is a person no longer just trading one addiction for another?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Both are addictions. I'd rather see someone thumping a Bible and yelling, "Praise the Lord!" then dead in a ditch from an overdose.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I have no problem with that...but I'm not the one bringing it up..I even offered to go to church with him to show im with him.
But he is the one putting it in my face and trying to push his ideas on me while i just trying to find the balance.
I'm not pushing anything on him and I never do to anyone I just wanna make sure there can be soe kind of common ground...Ive been his friend since I was 7 and im 19 now and I work with him plus my whole idea is to try to bridge the gap between him...and in general
I would just like to know if anyone has had any success in dealing with different religions and still maintain commonality and respect..
I feel that the more we seperate from each other by looking at the differences the more we lose in the end...imo

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Your friend needs you right now.

It's OK to just be quiet and let them go on about what they need to go on about. Give them support, help them get through this hard time.

That's what friends do.

Friendship isn't about balance, it never has been. It's give and take. Sometimes you need them, sometimes they need you. It's about being there for each other.

join