It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MiG-21 Fishbed For sale on ebay...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Uhm......why?

I know of AT LEAST 3 privately owned MiGs in US hands, as well as a group of pilots that fly Russian built trainers as a demonstration team.

Today, there are several MiGs in the USA that are privately owned and flown. One of these is the ‘Red Bull’ MiG-17, owned and flown by Bill Reesman at airshows across the nation. Seeing this agile and nimble ex-military fighter perform aerial displays at airshows is always a thrill, and according to Bill (and others who have flown the MiG-17), the MiG-17 is itself a joy to fly, with very few if any of the inherently unforgiving flight characteristics possessed by the original MiG-15 design (it took a skillful pilot to exploit the MiG-15’s full potential safely, as there were a few nasty little surprises awaiting the unskilled at the edges of the MiG-15’s performance envelope). In the course of restoration by American warbird owners, several of these now privatelyh owned MiGs have been found to have dents in their ejection-seat armor plates--evidence that they had stopped significant enemy fire at some point in their service lives!

www.authorsden.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Wow, that red air defense contractor based in Illinois has 29's??
I thought that only Russia had those.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

The US Air Force came into several MiG-29s and SU-27s(I think) among others. The rumor I heard is that they got them from Germany after the cold war ended.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Fuel is nothing, think of the insurance, hangar fees, airport fees and more...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

It's not THAT hard to do. There are a bunch of MiGs flying around the US in private hands.

One time when I was camping on the east slope of the sierra,
we were startled by the roar of a jet engine and looked up the canyon to see a MIG-15 chasing an F-86 down the canyon at tree top level.
they were only 150-200' above us as they passed over.

It was quite the sight.

There's an airport in the northern san joaquin valley that has several migs parked on the tarmac

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by USamf

The Concorde at 50,000 feet could cause damage on the ground under the right conditions. The SR-71 at 80,000 feet had a pressure wave of about .9 at ground level. Anything over 1.0 could cause minor damage, and damage hearing.

Not true, our aircraft would break the sound barrier right over the aircraft carrier. Absolutely nothing wrong with my hearing. But it did scare the SH*T out of some Indian Naval officers on board watching the display.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

Well, they probably barely went over Mach 1. I would think that as the speed gets faster maybe there are multiple booms? I am uneducated on this subject, so I may be full of it.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
If you buy it you'll need comm/nav repair. Retired Air Force master avionics tech here.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

I was wrong on the numbers.

1.5-2 pounds will cause reaction. 2-5 pounds will cause damage to structures and hearing.

SR-71, Mach 3 at 80,000 feet: 0.9 pounds.
Concorde, Mach 2 at 52,000 feet: 1.94 pounds.
F-104, Mach 1.93 at 48,000 feet: 0.8 pounds.
Space Shuttle, Mach 1.5 at 60,000 feet: 1.25 pounds.

An F-14 or F-18 would probably come in somewhere between 0.8 and just over 1 because of their shape and size.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

As always zaphoid...you amaze me with your information. Are you in the Airforce or just a plane buff?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

I spent many many years working around Air Force planes. Never in, but I grew up on flightlines around planes.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I know of AT LEAST 3 privately owned MiGs in US hands, as well as a group of pilots that fly Russian built trainers as a demonstration team.

Same friend couple years back was trying to buy YAK 18 trainer (prop
driven similar to AT 6) - was on demonstration flight when engine quit
just short of runway. Person who owned plane grabbed stick from my
friend and spun it in ground. The owner was killed, my friend wound up
in body cast for 6 months with broken back and legs. Said if the stupid
owner hadn't panicied and grabbed controls would have glided it in
to runway....

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Christ I must have been drunk when I put that up. Nothing to see here folks...move along.
For some reason I have always liked the Fishbed. No more traffic problems....

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I just have to say...

That would be cool as hell!!!

I'd love to have a WW2 prop fighter also.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I wonder if you can get a SR 71 on ebay if there will be anyone selling it LOL
. Hmm does the SR 71 use any weapones ?

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Reckon

Erm.....I'm gonna go with no. Even if you could, it wouldn't fly. Most of the Blackbirds had their wings cut to transport, and once their cut, you can't fix them again.

The only member of the Blackbird family to carry weapons was the YF-12, which was an interceptor based on the A-12 Oxcart. It carried Falcon missiles in recessed bays under the fuselag.e

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Well....considering the expense involved, maintenance, fuel, insurance, etc...I wouldn't be surprised to see John Travolta jumping all over this thing.

Maybe he could keep it hangared near his home in Florida, and go chase Xenu, the evil space creatures that his religion yells him about!

*edit*...yeah! I typed 'yells'...confused him with Mr. Cruise for a moment. It's a conspiracy, the 'y' and 't' being so close together on my ketboard...

[edit on 4/18/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Well what about a MiG 25, that one you could find somewhere.
Almost as fast as an SR 71. Well that one is a monster jet . God as SR 71 i dont know. But a response to the American SR 71 it was.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Reckon

Seriously doubtful. It's in operation in many countries right now. Most MiG or fighter aircraft aren't sold to civilians until years after they're out of service. I know where you can pick up an SU-25 though.
They also have several F-5s and A-4s for sale too.

[edit on 4/18/2009 by Zaphod58]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Yes there are in fact a few Migs owned privately and I heard that Richard Gere owns a Mig 21!

As for there being more advanced Soviet/ Russian aircraft here in the States remember there was that one Mig 25 Foxbat pilot who defected to Japan and I think some of the parts from that Mig made it here to the States.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join