It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people need to believe that the world is ending in 2012?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Because most people are drama queens in one way or another,everyone likes a bit of impending doom on the horizon for entertainment purposes...until it actually comes to fruition of course.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Dear X-tal_Phusion,
Number 1. "People" are not seeking a reason to believe that the world is ending in the year 2012... think about it, that just doesn't make sense. Why would people feel the need to believe that our civilization will be wiped out... I think we can all agree that is the last thing that we would wish for. 2. The theory that the world was coming to an "end" first began in the discovery of the mayan calender, which ends December 21. 2012... Once again, the calender ends, it doesn't out right say the world will end on that date. Yes, throughout history there have been many people who came to the conclusion the world was going to end some time soon or on a certain date. Some of them were war veterans who went crazy from agent orange, some of them were just plain crazy, some of them wanted to start a conspiracy and see how far it would go, some just wanted to play a joke... I mean there are so many reasons why those people thought those things. I remember in 2000 there were so many people who thought the world would end because they didn't understand that a computer could simply reset itself instead of destroying it's hard drive thus sending us back to the stone age. If you would take the time to do some reasearch, you would find that the mayans didn't necessary predict that the world would end in 2012, but much rather a highly advanced civilization who decended from the atlantian ancestors who also decended from an even higher civilization from a nearby planet in our galaxy came to earth for several purposes, but also gave the Mayan's a lot of information which included that their planet would once again come very close to ours on this date of 12/21/2012 thus creating a great magnetic pull that would cause a catastrophical climate change thus resulting in at least the extinction of 1/3 of our population, and by "our" I don't just mean the human population, but all of the population on Earth. In this historical event, an alien race known as the Pleiadians will come to Earth in a raging war with the opposing civilization that once enslaved our own, (you can find a story much similar to the battle of light and darkness or good in evil in the "end of time" in the bible), they will chose only the highest spiritually advanced and most pure souls to come with them and rebuild life. You can find this story in movies such as "knowing" with Nicholas Cage which specifically represents the Pleiadians coming to Earth at the "end of time" to take only the most pure souls with them to rebuild life. You can also look up on planet Niburu in which is said collided with another planet in our solar system I believe over 500,000 years ago thus destroying their own and creating the asteroid belt around our solar system, the ring around Jupiter as well as our planet Earth and our moon. If you research the great civilization of early Sumeria, today known as Iraq you will find the five tablets in which record the beings of Niburu coming to Earth and using our resources and people to our advantage. If you go to www.crystalinks.com there is much information on this subject, as well as much other information. You must remember that as human beings, we tend to be a little narcissistic at times and think we know every thing, when in fact we do not even know a small fraction of every thing.... and much that we have discovered is kept from public eye for our safety, or the governments safety. I would advice you to do a lot of research, there is a whole world out there for you to see, and believe me, you need to see it my friend.

here are some links to help you engage your journey:
www.crystalinks.com...
www.crystalinks.com...

Best wishes,
Risingsun

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
well, i you were to ask me.
i would say the following, people need to believe in something to happen in 2012 because if nothing happens the world shall just get worse and worse until we end up destroying ourselves over land and resources.
another reason, one which is probably more correct is the fact that there is a end times for every major culture, they all speak of the end of the world and the destruction or the fall of evil from the throne of man.
many also believe that this major event whatever it is needs to happen for these reasons, as at the moment the economy is in crisis, there are many homeless and poor and many suffering for crimes which they had nothing to do with.
another reason might also be because of the media, it has slowly but perfectly been hardwired into our daily lives to a point where it would be ok to happen.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by darthStar]

[edit on 16-4-2009 by darthStar]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
People need to believe in the "end of the world" in 2012 because it gives them an excuse to give up. An excuse to not have to care anymore. If the world is going to end in a couple of years anyway, why should I change anything? Why should I care if I'm a wasteful, drunken, stupid, ignorant slob who contributes nothing to society if it's going to be over soon anyway? Who cares if America is being systematically looted and raped if the world is going to end in three years? We can ride it out until then, surely.

Believing in 2012 is an excuse not make any personal changes, despite overwhelming evidence that such changes need to be made.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Humans are learning, we could very well be on to something. We're advancing in many things and I think we finally could be right, Im not sure acutally I am moree nuetral. One thing is clear to me is the Mayans didnt intend on making 2012 our death date. Where ever you guys thought this your wrong becuase Maya stelae occasionally show dates beyond 2012. Most of these are in the form of distance dates, where a Long Count date is given with a distance date to be added. For example, on the Tablet of Inscriptions from Palenque the following Long Count date was found: 9.8.9.13.0 8 Ahau 13 Pop (March 24, 603 Gregorian) with a distance date of 10.11.10.5.8. The resulting date is given as 1.0.0.0.0.8 5 Lamat 1 Mol, or October 21, 4772 — almost 3,000 years into the future. The king Pacal of Palenque predicted that on this date the eightieth Calendar Round anniversary of his accession will be celebrated, suggesting he did not believe the world would end in 2012.So maybbe 2012 is just a wake up call to earth. We may get a little shooken up maybe a message from the gods or just from the earth its self telling us we need to look around us and realize what we are doing.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I've been interested in cataclysmic disasters since I was little. I think I have a natural disposition toward "big picture" thinking, and you don't get more big picture than the end of the world. Something about an event that historic and life-changing--whether it's man-made or natural--just fascinates me.

But I also belief that the world as it is a terrible place anyway, and could use a reboot. So that combined with my fascination with cataclysms and you have an obsession!

But I actually don't think anything will happen in 2012 other than conspiracy boards buzzing with insanity. I HOPE something happens, but my logical side says the world will go on as it has before.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Because the bible codes for 2006 didnt come true, and there wasnt an anti-chirst. Nuclear holocaust or anything else people said were going to happen. So they need a new date. 2012.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
2012 is a number.

This message and these people will self destruct in 5... 4... 3....

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
You know what I was wondering the same exact thing the other day. I think you might just be correct about it interrupting an otherwise boring day to day life. It leaves you questioning alot and wondering alot of things.

They almost seem excited about it. Which is sad that so many people would be looking forward to death so much. But with the condition of the world today, I cannot say I blame them.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

The future is unknown and for many disconnected from the now. This could be the reason that the end of the world is so interesting. Most do not connect themselves with being in that space.

Thinking about future disasters is very rarely followed up by actively preparing for it. (a few do though)

This could be why real events escalate into disasters before our eyes. We do not live in the now. We pay so much attention to what might happen that what is happening is ignored. An example might be: reasons for going to war with Iraq, WMD . Even though there was no physical evidence the threat of future disaster was used as justification.

Even in our everyday lives we avoid the now i.e. the temperature has been dropping and clouds are forming- but lets have that BBQ anyway and look surprised when it rains.
We ignore our feelings of suspicion when being sold duff goods and yet still buy them.

How many times have you heard people say ‘ I knew it wouldn’t work’ or my favorite one was when my friend told me ‘ I had a bad feeling as I was walking down the aisle’
I laugh because I had a bad feeling when I said yes to one of the worse dates ever – but I still went!

Of all the things you can do, living in the now is the most important and also the hardest. Observing; not just seeing. Listening; not just hearing and making the connection between cause and effect.

The future is far away and now is too difficult. Perhaps this is why we look to it, in what ever form it takes. Salvation or Damnation it’s all the same

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mostlyspoons
NOBODY that is sane needsto believe ANYTHING!!

in the end we only believe what we want to believe...

whats true doesnt make a difference

[edit on 8-4-2009 by mostlyspoons]

So what else do you do, other than "believe" something?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by X-tal_Phusion
Not only that, but each time a date is set for the end of the world, and it passes without incident, a new date (further into the future; far enough to build suspense but not too far that it dampens a sense of urgency and impending doom) is simply set and the countdown starts all over again.

I can see where you're coming from on this, but I don't think it's so black and white.

Yes, we had a lot of millenium apocalypse prophecies, but even before they were mainstream, the 2011/2012 dates were alive and well. In fact, if you believe the Mayan research, the 2011/2012 dates have been predicted for thousands of years.

Perhaps the MSM likes to keep pushing dates forward as the last one passes without incident, but the Mayan calander 'end date' has not been 'pushed forward' since it's inception, as far as I know.

I remember back in the 80's, people talking about 2012 and even writing books about it.

Don't you agree there is something different/unique about this one?

And of course, it's not the end of the world, just a major shift in consciousness (which may also take most of humanity out of 3D in a fairly short time window.)

[edit on 30/4/09 by RogerT]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
OK, just read the thread through and have something to add.

From a personal perspective, I feel a resonance with the concept of consciousness shift being inevitable, tying in with an acceleration of this unfolding of consciousness.

In plain english, there's something about an imminent date for global cataclysmic change which 'just feels right'.

Others that I know share this feeling, and it is clear from the board posts that it is a common theme.

People intuitively sense a 'speeding up' and perhaps also that this speeding up is exponential.

When critical velocity is reached, transformation occurs - or something like that.

Maybe it's even more basic: as beings of a shared/one consciousness that exists distinct from time, all things occur right now. In other words, 'The End of The World as we KNow it' is just another aspect of the now, and its proximity in 'time' makes it more 'present' in our current 3D state.

We all know what's going to happen because it has already happened. The acceleration of conscious awareness of our awareness simply allows us to 'tap into' this information.

I'm very excited

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Seems to stem from an incursion that happened a short time back. Where Nuclear secrets were requested by Doomsdayers, and they felt it a simple task.

Although entirely true, man-kind has the ability for MAD, which is Mutually Assured Destruction; not all are in agreement this should occur.

Seems of odds, but some wish to destroy everything. Why this is, is a strange perplexity. Psychiatrists, offer little other than your Mom was to ruff with you. Scientists/Behaviourologist recommend this as discourse. Religious aficionados state simply: It's just a matter of time...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join