It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll finds nation most polarized in decades under Obama

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by pyrytyes
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

That college thing, yea, should go...

But, the congress has the real power. The prez can say he/ she wants this or that and it is up to the congress to provide. Without the congresscritters' support,the job of the prez gets very difficult.

With a strong third (fourth, fifth) party in congressional seats, at least more balance is assumed. It would be more difficult to fool the sheep into believing that a candidate is of one party or the other to get elected.

Nothing short of opening a seated elected official's bank accounts will forestall corruption. The crooks we have now is an example of this. How do these people get rich on an elected officials salary, unless it is directly attributed to corruption?

Why do public school systems have PAID lobbyists? Where do the funds originate to pay these lobbyists? Sorry, off topic...

That's a good question and I would wager where school systems get the funds for paid lobbyists is from text book publishers, paper and office supply companies, manufacturers of play ground and recreational equipment etc., etc., likely all too happy to foot the bill through backdoor contributions to corrupt school board officials to help them secure the funding for purchases that might very well help the school board official and the corporations supplying the schools but not nessacarily the children attending.

The Miami-Dade County School Board where I live is one scandal after another of overpaid executives, corruption, political cronyism and nepotism that if it weren't for the far worse shennanigans that transpire at city hall everyday would be the epitomy of scandal.

The country is being run by corporations for corporations and clearly they are running it into the ground!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
It is always relevant to recognize that

"The latest national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, conducted March 31-April 6 among 1,506 adults reached on landlines and cell phones..."

It is difficult to accept this as a true representation of the national opinion landscape.... although I suspect it is likely to be closer to the truth than further.

The usual weaknesses in surveys can be found embedded in this one...

Who did they ask, where were they, are they politically active, are they partisan, what was the distribution of income, age, education, and personal background?

I guess we just have to trust that PEW in this particular instance, managed the survey scientifically and correctly. Although we may never know for sure.

It's all silliness though, because Americans know damn well what they see and how they perceive the Federal Government and it's faux-two party gateway to stardom. We all see exactly what is happening around us, and we don't need to be told what a random group of 1500 unknown people think, to know that there is a serious problem in our governance and the monstrosity that the corporate-controlled political machinery has wrought upon us 'consumers,' who's sole patriotic responsibility seems to be to 'produce' for their benefit.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It's all silliness though, because Americans know damn well what they see and how they perceive the Federal Government and it's faux-two party gateway to stardom. We all see exactly what is happening around us, and we don't need to be told what a random group of 1500 unknown people think, to know that there is a serious problem in our governance and the monstrosity that the corporate-controlled political machinery has wrought upon us 'consumers,' who's sole patriotic responsibility seems to be to 'produce' for their benefit.

Informed, concerned and reasoned Americans do. Yet the vast majority still want to be lied too Maxmars. They prefer to cling to some irrationall hope for the pure sake of hope in some cases. While in other cases still they desperately want and wish to believe that there is charachter in a person they truly believe they saw charachter in.

Polls are great for people like that. Its amazing that even though only a small percentage of Americans play the stock market the average perception that if stocks are on the rise the economy is fine seems to rule the day no matter how many freshly unemployed people are being added to the jobless roles and how many requests for government assistance and unemployment are made.

A lot of people, too many people, still crave being lied too!

Thanks for the post.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seeker Mom
Considering I was once a Democrat who eagerly counted down the days until Bush was out of office only to find myself faced with Obama in office I'd say this poll is silly. I think more people are now waking up to the fact that our political parties are simply two heads of the same monster. In other words, they both suck big time.

I agree with this, though, I don't know if Obama is the most polarizing; I think the past 4-6 years have really divided this country...and that is partially under Bush and partially under Obama. The more I watch Obama, the more I think he'll be a one term President. In good times like under Clinton (but probably not caused by Clinton) people were content with whatever political view, because it didn't effect them so much...now every decision in Washington seems to have a stronger effect on all peoples...on both sides.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard

Originally posted by Seeker Mom
Considering I was once a Democrat who eagerly counted down the days until Bush was out of office only to find myself faced with Obama in office I'd say this poll is silly. I think more people are now waking up to the fact that our political parties are simply two heads of the same monster. In other words, they both suck big time.

I agree with this, though, I don't know if Obama is the most polarizing; I think the past 4-6 years have really divided this country...and that is partially under Bush and partially under Obama. The more I watch Obama, the more I think he'll be a one term President. In good times like under Clinton (but probably not caused by Clinton) people were content with whatever political view, because it didn't effect them so much...now every decision in Washington seems to have a stronger effect on all peoples...on both sides.

I think you are more than correct that ever decision coming out of Washington these days does have a profound and possibly very lasting effect on the nation short and possibly very long term.

How sad that the President in charge is likely not really equal to the task and will be a one man President.

It kind of reminds me of the saying if you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullsh-t.

Too bad someone truly brilliant hadn't stepped up to the plate to lead us through and out of these difficult and uncertain times.

Thanks for the post.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Some great replies here.

Everyone seems to be truly on the same page. It's not the parties but the polarization of those asleep versus those awake.

People seem to be waking up in droves these days!

Thanks to everyone who posted and shared their thoughts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join