It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC Special to Dismiss Idea of Using Guns for Self Defense?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

ABC Special to Dismiss Idea of Using Guns for Self Defense?

newsbusters.org

Will the upcoming ABC special "If I Only Had a Gun" dismiss and deride the concept of using firearms to defend oneself and stop a potential massacre? A promo that aired during Wednesday's "Good Morning America" seemed to suggest yes. As ominous music played in the background, an announcer intoned, "Friday night on ABC, when it comes to protecting yourself, you may think, 'If I only had a gun.'" Video then played of an experiment in which a female college student attempted to pull out what looked like a pellet gun to stop a faux Virginia Tech-style massacre.

The ad's announcer quizzed, "But if you had a gun, could you defend yourself in a crisis?" After an unidentified voice asked the young woman where she would be if this had been real, she responded, "Probably on the floor. Hopefully in an ambulance." More video showed young children pointing real guns at each other and themselves. The announcer solemnly wondered, "What about the irresistible pull of guns on kids and how easy can you get them? Diane Sawyer investigates with David Muir. 'If I Only Had a Gun.' One stunning hour."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The government-controlled news-corporations are on a mission to warn everyone that "guns kill people!" They also want you to lose your right to defend yourself with the same kind of weapons their death-squads carry to intimidate & kill oppressed people.

People without guns to protect themselves & easy-access to the internet are like slaves (or prisoners of war). Only our enemies would try to find ways to make innocent freedom-lovers disarm themselves & run to the government to get "protection" & gentle tummy-rubs.

Lock and Load!

Ensuing economic chaos has you down? What do you do?
Lock and Load Baby!!! Lets get ready to show them what being a American is all about.

He looks serious. Maybe he just saw one of Alex Jones' documentaries about the "Police-State".

newsbusters.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-4-2009 by News And History]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
ABC is holding true to it's nickname...

Another B.s. Company!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
How long is it going to take everyone to realize that the right to own a gun has nothing to do with, and will never stop, mass shootings?

The very fact that they are even implying that it MIGHT have anything to do with that tells me this is mental warfare.

Read your history people.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
As a counterpoint to this awesome display of BS, I would like to refer everyone to the the Armed Citizen section of any of the NRA magazines.

In it you will find true accounts pulled from newspapers around the country of ordinary people using a firearm to defend themselves.

Here is a link.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Its an old adage but it really does hold true: better to have it and never need it than to not have it and need it. I'm a CCW holder of several years and I have only once been in a situation where I even thought of putting my hand on my weapon and I'm sad to say that I didn't have it with me that day; had it not been for my friend with me its hard to say how things could have went down. It certainly was a sobering experience to realize that I had let my guard down that far that's for sure.

In light of the recent spate of shootings (or rather there ultra-hype) I suspect news specials like this will be more prevalent than ever, lets just hope it doesn't jump from mere television programming to actual legislation pushed through in a hurry like our neighbors to the east of us across the pond.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by News And History

Maybe the lass needs some firearms training? Without reading the article, my guess is, they picked anyone off of the street...

I would rather have a firearm, and not need to use it, than be in a situation
and not have one to utilize.

A lot of it is common sense, but that is asking too much of some people.

Practice, practice, and more practice developing mental situations, and gun control...hit what you have in your sights.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
There have been quite a few incidents where both students and teachers ARMED with guns that have prevented mass shootings on their campuses. Its just that the media doesnt like this as this goes agianst their entire script of guns=bad.

freestudents.blogspot.com...

But I guess the liberal way of thinking is: Oh its a gun free zone. This means we are safe!

yeah right.

VT is a prefect example of this. One lunatic with two pistols (NOT rifles or "machine guns") pistols, murdered over 30 people. And not ONE person could stop him. I wonder what would have happened if two ro three students were armed or allowed to have a gun legally on campus?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

OK. Time to post the map again. This is the map that shows that most mass shootings occur in the so-called gun free zones. Thinking people of course realize that "gun free zone" means that only legal, law abiding citizens do not have guns there. Another and better description of such places would be "target rich environment".

map

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Diane Sawyer and her "If Only I had A Gun"

In her case it would be more like "if only I had a brain"

Let's flag this thing like no other.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

And thats all I have to say about it.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by A NeWorlDisorder]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LockwithnoKey
ABC is holding true to it's nickname...

Another B.s. Company!

Well, John Stossel is actually really good...I wish he was doing the investigative reporting, his are usually very good...in fact, I wonder why he isn't doing it? Probably finds it to be just as ridiculous as everyone here.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by yellowcard]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Web link to the site for the upcoming episode and a preview video of their propaganda is available.
abcnews.go.com...

And possibly a new article from ABC about it, but it doesn't seem to want to load for me:
newspreview.corp.dig.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by News And History

They want to disarm us because without guns we will be easier to control and abuse.
They will tax us into oblivion and if we even make a peep they will crush us and if we are disarmed the arrogance of their thugs will only grow to a point that will make you think the taliban are more reasonable.

I guess that if we are all enslaved by taxes that it would help pay of the national debt and slaves cant very well have weapons now can they?

The only people who share such passion and motivation for a disarmed population are violent offenders and criminals and let me tell you they have a lot in common with our ruler’s things like pedophilia, rape, murder, theft, fraud and too many other things to list.

Take it from someone who has been to a quite a few scenes, your gun is your best option against someone who is going to hurt or kill you or a loved one, don’t ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

Crime is going up and will continue to do so and the best our media can offer is that you should hope that the offender has mercy because you are too stupid to defend yourself.

Sounds like we now know what BHO administrations priorities are

ABC can go to hell with their White House propaganda.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

thanks for the map! Its amazing how the numbers and the locations coincide like this. and yet, the politicians and anti-gun groups dont seem to understand.

Fun fact, every single police officer I have ever talked to in Chicago (my hometown), from the regular officer to sergents to captains, all have said the same thing over and over, ALLOW CCW in Chicago. Why is that? Another thing they said, GO AFTER gangbangers and criminals, NOT just guns. Its amazing what you can learn from a police officer.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

The only problem is, as any cop, medic or gun safety expert will tell you, is that the opposite usually happens. You are far more likely to injure yourself or enrage an offender to the point of murdering you by firing a weapon than you are to defend yourself. Point blank, people panic in those situations and it is not as easy to play Steven Seagal as it looks on tv, I say this as someone who has been in this situation. I'm all for self defense but please be realistic about it, you would have to see them coming to catch them off guard before they pull a weapon and then it can't even be called self defense in court. As desperate as a lot of people are now they are losing inhibitions about seriously injuring or killing someone else while robbing them so fighting back probably is not the best option in all cases.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It is beyond me why so many Americans look to state a gun is for self defence, arguing the point 'if I had a gun at that moment.' It is true, a gun could prevent a shooting from happening, but that is merely a draconian approach and excuse to keep hold of a deadly weapon.

How is it that so many pose that scenario, yet fail to note that if a gun was not so easily accessible through your laws that 90% of these shootings would not occur (simply check many other 'fully developed' national statistics on gun crime.) It would be extremely hard to unilaterally withdraw guns from all persons, which of course makes it an incredibly difficult problem to resolve.

It amazes me however that I see so many state others are "sheeple," yet I can so often see the same people condoning the possession of items perfected with only only the soul purpose being to kill another human being. The majority of the world find it not so hard knowing you do not hold a tool for murder based on the claim it can defend themselves, why? beacuse the majority of the world does not ignore the higher probability of damages resulting from a populace readily possessing guns.

These are weapons designed to kill people for purposes of war, perfected for that very 'art,' the producers of these weapons are not considering perfecting them for domesticated use. So ultimately, guns should be banned anywhere and everywhere outside a war-zone, or developers should enter into a pursuit of perfection for domesticated use (which would provide the answer for both parties, yes... even those that act as if they must have weapons of murder otherwise they are being ruled by "the" NWO.)

And please, no our 'constitution' this, our 'constitution' that, doesn't change anything but show a nations inability to progress past popular interests for the greater good of man. It shows adherence to popular draconian writings, many of which need great revision, but many a man cannot, or will not, acknowledge that in the United States an almost ancient document is no longer suitable for a progressive mankind.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrAnonUK
It is beyond me why so many Americans look to state a gun is for self defence, arguing the point 'if I had a gun at that moment.' It is true, a gun could prevent a shooting from happening, but that is merely a draconian approach and excuse to keep hold of a deadly weapon.

Ask my friend that popped that guy in the Burger King. He had a gun at that moment, and the other guy that was holding up the BK is now dead.

How is it that so many pose that scenario, yet fail to note that if a gun was not so easily accessible through your laws that 90% of these shootings would not occur (simply check many other 'fully developed' national statistics on gun crime.) It would be extremely hard to unilaterally withdraw guns from all persons, which of course makes it an incredibly difficult problem to resolve.

Got a source for the 90% fact?

And you do know that criminals usually get their weapons outside the law?

It amazes me however that I see so many state others are "sheeple," yet I can so often see the same people condoning the possession of items perfected with only only the soul purpose being to kill another human being. The majority of the world find it not so hard knowing you do not hold a tool for murder based on the claim it can defend themselves, why? beacuse the majority of the world does not ignore the higher probability of damages resulting from a populace readily possessing guns.

A lot of people have weapons so they can enjoy shooting them at a regulated rifle/pistol range.

I guess that if murderers were killing people with baseball bats, and regular people owned them, they'd have to be taken away, too?

These are weapons designed to kill people for purposes of war, perfected for that very 'art,' the producers of these weapons are not considering perfecting them for domesticated use. So ultimately, guns should be banned anywhere and everywhere outside a war-zone, or developers should enter into a pursuit of perfection for domesticated use (which would provide the answer for both parties, yes... even those that act as if they must have weapons of murder otherwise they are being ruled by "the" NWO.)

Ever see a hunting rifle? I consider that a weapon of war "domesticated".

And please, no our 'constitution' this, our 'constitution' that, doesn't change anything but show a nations inability to progress past popular interests for the greater good of man. It shows adherence to popular draconian writings, many of which need great revision, but many a man cannot, or will not, acknowledge that in the United States an almost ancient document is no longer suitable for a progressive mankind.

And while we're at it, I guess we should get rid of that pesky "Freedom of Speech" thing we have. Or how about take away the right to vote from women? Or outlaw alcohol again, since that leads to drunk driving?

[edit on 8-4-2009 by jerico65]

[edit on 8-4-2009 by jerico65]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Come on, surely you can see that within a region that has zero border control that is inevitable. In this case, within the United States of America it is a highly predictable outcome that gun crime will continue or rise as proper counter measures cannot be imposed to stop guns entering the States, and guns being withdrawn from individuals.

You seem as to suggest the map is a mockery against states that have these laws, I say these statesman are incredibly brave to try and kick start your nation into joining in with the rest of the world. I see large amounts of foolish states, alongside very few considerate states, considerate states that are sadly let down by so many.

I'm always dumbfounded by the ignorance repeated regarding this issue, is the majority of the world not proof enough. Or is the USA so great, so advanced, so different that the rules of others cannot be applied without total chaos.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by MrAnonUK]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I have a black belt in tae kwon do. My instructor made sure we knew how to protect ourselves buy presenting us with different scenarios, and then teaching us ways to deal with them,. He also encouraged us to think of novel ways to deal with situations so we could get out of them safely.
The same is true for people who use a gun for self defense. Whether it is in your home, or whether you have a CCW permit, you have to have a plan in mind. You have to be constantly alert, aware of y, our surroundings, and especially the people that are in your area. You need to know where the exits are. And you need to know how to use your weapon, and be mentally prepared to kill someone.
It takes time, practice, patience, and above all, using your brain.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by kettlebellysmith]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join