It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

19 Volcanos had an event between March 20th and 30th in the Ring of Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
After doing a little research, I found 19 volcanos had some type of event in the Ring of Fire between March 20th and 30th, most were around the 27th though. Even volcanoes which had not been active before. What led me to do some research on this... is the fact, some are wondering if some swarms of earthquakes in California, could actually be volcanos waking up.

At first I thought that was silly, but I found, scientist say magma can be moving underground and as it finds possible fractures of the earth, it can in fact come through as a new volcano.

These particular swarms I have read about, this possibly happening with, happen to be areas, I had done threads about.

One of those is in Washington, at the largest nuclear dump site in the U.S. www.abovetopsecret.com...
Since doing the thread, there have been 109 so far this week, besides the many others from the last few weeks.

I have read on a scientist board, some are questioning if the quakes could be magma movements, and a possible volcano breakthrough around there.

Also, if you look at the EQ map, you will find there seems to be activity around Mt. St. Helen.

Another one is the Southern California swarms
www.abovetopsecret.com...

After I began the thread, I also found there is a volcano under it, link is here: Salton Butte

The 19 volcanos that have become more active during the last week of March include Krakatau. All of the volcanos have had increased quakes during that week.

Link to discussed volcanos: www.volcano.si.edu...

Link to a map, showing the volcanos discussed around the Ring of Fire:
www.volcano.si.edu...

The volcanos involved are the following:

New Activity/Unrest: | Ambrym, Vanuatu (SW Pacific) | Gorely, Southern Kamchatka | Redoubt, Southwestern Alaska | Reventador, Ecuador
Ongoing Activity: | Asama, Honshu | Barren Island, Andaman Is | Batu Tara, Komba Island (Indonesia) | Chaitén, Southern Chile | Colima, México | Fuego, Guatemala | Karymsky, Eastern Kamchatka | Kilauea, Hawaii (USA) | Koryaksky, Eastern Kamchatka | Krakatau, Indonesia | Rabaul, New Britain | Sakura-jima, Kyushu | Shiveluch, Central Kamchatka (Russia) | Suwanose-jima, Ryukyu Islands (Japan) | Tungurahua, Ecuador

AMBRYM Vanuatu (SW Pacific) 16.25°S, 168.12°E; summit elev. 1334 m

Based on information from the Port Vila airport tower, the Wellington VAAC reported that on 25 March an ash plume from Ambrym rose to an altitude of 2.1 km (7,000 ft) a.s.l. and drifted about 55 km S. The next day, a pilot reported that "smoke" rose to an altitude of 2.4 km (8,000 ft) a.s.l. Ash was not identified on satellite imagery.

GORELY Southern Kamchatka 52.558°N, 158.03°E; summit elev. 1829 m

KVERT reported that seismic activity from Gorely increased during 10-27 March. The Level of Concern Color Code was raised to Yellow.

REDOUBT Southwestern Alaska 60.485°N, 152.742°W; summit elev. 3108 m

On 25 March, AVO reported that a small explosion from Redoubt produced an ash plume that rose to an altitude of 4.6 km (15,000 ft) a.s.l. and drifted N to NW. Later that day AVO lowered the Volcanic Alert Level to Watch and the Aviation Color Code to Orange because seismicity had decreased during the previous 36 hours. On 26 March, multiple explosive eruptions produced plumes to altitudes of 6.1-19.8 km (20,000-65,000 ft) a.s.l. or greater. AVO raised the Alert Level to Warning and the Aviation Color Code to Red, the highest levels. The largest eruption, at 0924, also produced a lahar in the Drift River valley that was detected by seismic instruments.

REVENTADOR Ecuador 0.077°S, 77.656°W; summit elev. 3562 m

The IG reported that seismicity from Reventador increased during 25-26 March. On 26 March, the seismic network detected an earthquake swarm consisting of long-period and hybrid events, interspersed with bands of harmonic tremor. Observers reported steam emissions with low ash content.

ASAMA Honshu 36.403°N, 138.526°E; summit elev. 2568 m

JMA reported weak incandescence from Asama on 23 March. Strong steam emissions were seen on 30 March by an observer in Maebashi, 50 km

BARREN ISLAND Andaman Is 12.278°N, 93.858°E; summit elev. 354 m

Based on analysis of satellite imagery, the Darwin VAAC reported that during 25-26 March ash plumes from Barren Island rose to an altitude of 2.1 km (7,000 ft) a.s.l. and drifted about 110 km S.

BATU TARA Komba Island (Indonesia) 7.792°S, 123.579°E; summit elev. 748 m

Based on analysis of satellite imagery, the Darwin VAAC reported that during 25-27 March ash plumes from Batu Tara rose to an altitude of 2.1 km (7,000 ft) a.s.l. and drifted about 30-110 km NW.

CHAITEN Southern Chile 42.833°S, 72.646°W; summit elev. 1122 m

SERNAGEOMIN reported that during 17-23 March Chaitén's lava-dome complex continued to grow from an area that includes the central spines and part of Domo Nuevo 1. This was also the main area where collapses from unstable slopes caused block-and-ash flows. Continuously emitted steam plumes with varying amounts of tephra and gas-and-ash plumes generated by block-and-ash flows drifted N and ESE. The block-and-ash flow volume was smaller compared to the previous week. The Alert Level remained at Red.

COLIMA México 19.514°N, 103.62°W; summit elev. 3850 m

During 25-29 and 31 March, white and gray plumes from Colima rose to altitudes of 3.9-4.6 km (12,800-15,100 ft) a.s.l. and occasionally drifted SW, SE, E, and NE.

FUEGO Guatemala 14.473°N, 90.880°W; summit elev. 3763 m

On 27 and 30 March, INSIVUMEH reported that explosions from Fuego produced ash plumes that rose to altitudes of 4.1-4.8 km (13,500-15,700 ft) a.s.l. and drifted S and SW. Some explosions were accompanied by rumbling noises, shock waves detected 10 km away, and avalanches of blocks down the W and SW flanks. Fumarolic plumes drifted NE and SW. On 30 March, incandescent material was ejected 75 m into the air. Based on analysis of satellite imagery, the Washington VAAC reported that on 31 March an ash plume drifted E.

KARYMSKY Eastern Kamchatka 54.05°N, 159.45°E; summit elev. 1536 m

KVERT reported that seismic activity at Karymsky was elevated during 19-22 March and at background levels during 23-24 March. Based on interpretations of seismic data, ash plumes likely rose to an altitude of 2 km (6,600 ft) a.s.l. On 26 March, ash deposits extending 30 km S of the volcano were seen on satellite imagery. The Level of Concern Color Code remained at Orange.

KILAUEA Hawaii (USA) 19.421°N, 155.287°W; summit elev. 1222 m

During 24-31 March, HVO reported that lava flowed SE from underneath Kilauea's Thanksgiving Eve Breakout (TEB) and rootless shield complex through a lava tube system, reaching the Waikupanaha and Kupapa'u ocean entries. Daily thermal anomalies seen on satellite imagery suggested surface flows on the coastal plain.

KORYAKSKY Eastern Kamchatka 53.320°N, 158.688°E; summit elev. 3456 m

KVERT reported that seismic activity at Koryaksky was at background levels during 20-27 March. Gas plumes containing a small amount of ash rose to an altitude of 4 km (13,200 ft) a.s.l. and drifted S, SE, W and NW during the reporting period. On 25 and 26 March, gas-and-ash plumes were also seen on satellite imagery and drifted 225 km SE. The Level of Concern Color Code remained Orange.

KRAKATAU Indonesia 6.102°S, 105.423°E; summit elev. 813 m

CVGHM reported that seismicity from Krakatau increased during 19-25 March. Fog prevented observations on 24 March. During periods of clear weather on 25 March, white-to-gray plumes rose 400 m above Anak Krakatau. The Alert Level remained at 2 (on a scale of 1-4).

RABAUL New Britain 4.271°S, 152.203°E; summit elev. 688 m

RVO reported that during 21-26 March white and occasional gray ash plumes from Rabaul caldera's Tavurvur cone rose 500 m above the crater and drifted in variable directions. Incandescence from the summit crater was seen at night. Light ashfall was reported S of Duke of York Islands, about 20 km E.

SAKURA-JIMA Kyushu 31.585°N, 130.657°E; summit elev. 1117 m

Based on information from JMA, the Tokyo VAAC reported that an explosion from Sakura-jima on 26 March produced a plume that rose to an altitude of 2.1 km (7,000 ft) a.s.l. and drifted SE. JMA reported occasional weak eruptions during 27-30 March.

SHIVELUCH Central Kamchatka (Russia) 56.653°N, 161.360°E; summit elev. 3283 m

KVERT reported that seismic activity at Shiveluch was above background levels during 20-27 March. Based on interpretations of seismic data, ash plumes likely rose to an altitude of 6 km (19,700 ft) a.s.l. According to observers, fumaroles were active during 23-26 March and explosions produced ash plumes that rose to an altitude of 8 km (26,200 ft) a.s.l. on 24 March. Analysis of satellite imagery revealed a daily thermal anomaly on the lava dome and an ash plume that drifted 40 km S on 25 March. The Level of Concern Color Code remained at Orange.

SUWANOSE-JIMA Ryukyu Islands (Japan) 29.635°N, 129.716°E; summit elev. 799 m

Based on information from JMA, the Tokyo VAAC reported an explosion from Suwanose-jima on 28 March. JMA reported three explosions on 30 March. Details of possible resultant ash plumes on either day were not reported.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

TUNGURAHUA Ecuador 1.467°S, 78.442°W; summit elev. 5023 m
During 25-27 and 30-31 March, IG reported that steam-and-ash plumes from Tungurahua rose to altitudes of 5.5-7 km (18,000-23,000 ft) a.s.l. and drifted NW, NE, E, and SW. On 25 March, ashfall was reported in areas to the SW and lahars traveled down a drainage to the W. On 26 March, lahars traveled down multiple drainages to the W, SW, and S; a lahar in the Mapayacu drainage to the SW carried blocks up to 2 m in diameter. Inclement weather impaired visual observations during 28-29 March.

I have looked at this and find it very interesting, there was more activity during that time. Full moons I know can cause fluid movements, from water to magma, but the time all of these volcanoes displayed more activity, was not during a full moon.

I am only authoring this thread, due to the interest of all the volcanoes becoming more alive in a short period of time, I am not implying anything regarding them. So those who might want to attack me on a “doom and gloom basis” that is not what the thread is about.
These volcanoes are all in the Ring of Fire, and the volcanoes which are currently active outside the ring, I have not investigated as of yet, to see if there was more activity during these dates also.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
There are over 450 volcanoes in the ring of fire - so the fact 19 displayed some activity within a 10 day period hardly seems significant?

I know it's wikipedia, but it does give good background info:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Apparently, much activity occurring, which is a good thing. I say, apparently, as some have been active for years, reminding the "locals" of their presence. I say good, because if/ when they go silent, bad things like monumental eruptions could occur.
Earthquakes, as you correctly predicted, a while back, may be precursors to volcanism. Though they do not always...
Mother Earth is dynamic, always on the move, building new lands for us to conquer... maybe, not for immediate use, but future generations. I am awe struck by the magnificence of the volcanic piles littered around the southwest region of the US., thousands of feet thick, ranging in age from 20000 to 10000 years old. I have to wonder, just what lies beneath...who has had their home, or civilization inundated by these masses that flowed across/ fell upon their lands. We will nevr know...

Thank you for cataloging these current events. I have been watching many, but not all, and wondering, myself, what is going on.

No, I do not think yours is a doom and gloom scenario. I appreciate your efforts.

new topics

top topics

join