It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Turkey, Obama Reaches Out to Muslim World

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well, this will answer a question that has been hotly argued over here on ATS and elsewhere.

Obama now admits to being a muslim.

Buried in the article is obama's admission of his true faith.

article with video

But in his appearance Monday, the president noted the contributions that Muslim Americans have made to the United States, saying that many Americans "have Muslims in their family, or have lived in a Muslim-majority country."

"I know," Obama said, drawing applause from the lawmakers, "because I am one of them."

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well this admission can be take in two ways depending how the person see the situation.

For one Obama was raised muslin, he had family members that are muslin and he have lived abroad in muslin countries.

In the other hand that doesn't mean he still holds the believes of been muslin or that he practices Islam in any way.

Kind of tricky here unless he is hiding his true nature.

But unless I see Obama's wife and daughters wearing veils or covering their faces I will stay neutral for now.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I was raised jewish, and since then my beliefs evolved into a vastly different thing.

Does that mean I still am?

[edit on 4/8/2009 by eNumbra]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
I was raised jewish, and since then my beliefs evolved into a vastly different thing.

Does that mean I still am?

[edit on 4/8/2009 by eNumbra]

No. But you also aren't totally denying being raised Jewish, are you? Also, since you were raised Jewish, can you tell us how Jews handle someone renouncing their faith. We all have heard how the muslims deal with that.

Does this mean that you have no problem with obama's previous lies on this subject - lies made solely to make himself more "palatable" to the American people in order to get himself elected?

just

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Maybe I just don't remember it, but I don't recall him specifically saying "I am not now nor was I ever Muslim". I recall him saying things like I am a christian; or the liberal MSM discrediting statements that he was at the time, a Muslim.

Was it misleading? Of course. Was it a lie? Not entirely. Is it anything new of the politicians that are elected? HAHAHAHAHA of course not.

I didn't vote for the man, but religious beliefs wouldn't sway me regardless. In a land that preaches religious freedom, his political opponents attempt to paint him as a "secret Muslim"; thus creating an "agenda" that may or may not exist. Fear tactics are fear tactics.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
he never said i'm a muslim.
and if he was a muslim, so what?
not all muslims are terrorists.
just like not all christians are kkk members lynching to preserve their heritage or bombing federal buildings.

he said he's lived in a muslim country.
he said he has family members who were muslim.
your religion doesn't make you in league with radical members of your faith who commit acts of violence.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I think Obama is lying about far more important things than where he was born or what god he prayed to. You know as well as I do that had he mentioned his Muslim background too much during the election season that it would have cost him the election. So he's in now. And it is the economy he's lying about, he's lying about gun control, he's lying about his latest servitude bill, he's lying about China and how our relationship to China is the only thing holding this sinking ship afloat. Yes there are plenty of lies.

But this ranks so low on my list of lies Obama has told that it isn't even worth thinking about.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by heather65
he never said i'm a muslim.
and if he was a muslim, so what?
not all muslims are terrorists.
just like not all christians are kkk members lynching to preserve their heritage or bombing federal buildings.

Again, your interpretation based on your like or dislike of obama.

he said he's lived in a muslim country.
he said he has family members who were muslim.
your religion doesn't make you in league with radical members of your faith who commit acts of violence.

It's all about the spin and packaging that was done to/for obama during the campaign to make him appear more palatable to the average American voter. They had to overcome "problems" with his name, nationality and religion to even make him appear to be constitutionally qualified to run for office. You seem to be able to look the other way on this (and many other things?), while others are not and see that as just one more example of why obama was not a good choice to lead this country.

[edit on 4/8/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I agree with what you said and gave you a star. My issue is the old adage of a lie told many times until people start to believe it is actually the truth. That is what is being done to us all right now. That along with telling so many lies that we all start to become numb to them and just quit fighting.

I'll hate that day ...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Agreed. But if we distract people with non-issues like these it'll backfire. The reason libertarians and conservatives sank in this election is BECAUSE of things like this. It is important to understand that these lies have been going on for a very long time, before Obama was even born. So far, he's the best liar out there and that makes him more dangerous.

But it is equally dangerous for the rest of us to be distracted by stories such as this. It should be a misnomer by now to even bring this up, as Obama's administration has hung itself. His policies, his plans, and his people will destroy the administration.

He won't get 4 more years.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

In principal I can agree with you. However, when we get to the point that there are so many lies that we have to "triage" the lies and say, well, we won't worry about this one, don't you think that is sad, dangerous, pitiful, etc., etc., etc.?

Does it not sound familiar to those that lambasted Bush for the last 8 years?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I was one of the people who lambasted Bush. Because I believe his policies were just as left wing and expansionistic as Obama's.

I have seen the comparison of Bush to historical tyrants. But those comparisons are no where NEAR as stark as they are with Obama. You wanna see something scary? Look at this:

Is History a Mirror?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I was one of the people who lambasted Bush. Because I believe his policies were just as left wing and expansionistic as Obama's.

I have seen the comparison of Bush to historical tyrants. But those comparisons are no where NEAR as stark as they are with Obama. You wanna see something scary? Look at this:

Is History a Mirror?

That thread should scare the hell out of every American - especially the last holdouts of obama supporters.

Thank you for adding it to this discussion.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
your interpretation based on your like or dislike of obama.

The same could be said about you, based on your interpretation of president obama's speech in Turkey.

You seem to be able to look the other way on this (and many other things?)...in what way exactly?

Do you live in my household?
Do you know me personally?
You know what they say when you assume.

You seem to have an enormous amount of hate for president obama.
You seem to possess the ability to see way too much in his speech.
See? I made assumptions about you.

You still didn't answer my question on whether being muslim automatically makes you a terrorist.
And for that matter, do you feel the same way about radical fundamentalist christians that commit acts of violence?

As far as "spin" what spin? The opposition to his candidacy specialized in spin and still do.
The topic of the thread is his speech in Turkey. What is bad about reaching out to the Muslim community?

[edit on 4/9/2009 by heather65]

[edit on 4/9/2009 by heather65]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by heather65

I agree that he may not have said he was a Muslim. He may have been saying he was an American with Muslim relatives. We know he's not living in a Muslim majority community.

But you say even if he is Muslim, so-what???

Uhhhhh. That's a big deal. A REALLY BIG DEAL. Not because it implies he's a terrorist or has ties to terrorism but because it would expose yet another lie from the campaigns where he said he was a Christian. The two faiths are completely incompatible. It would expose him for sucking up to the Christian crowd at one time and now the Muslim crowd. It would expose him as an opportunist and a typical politician. It would prove, for the umpteenth time, that Obama is a liar. But that's already been proven time and again.

Hardly the "change we hoped for" that your kind voted into office, Heather. Or is that reality simply too much to grasp for you, that your golden boy Obama, your savior of the United States, is just another sleazeball politician who will do anything and say anything to be elected?

[edit on 9-4-2009 by sos37]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure he was saying he was one of those people with Muslims (NOT muslins) in his family. I can't know for sure, but it can be taken two ways.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

president obama has always stated what his religion is.
others have said "he's a secret muslim".
my point is not all muslims are terrorists.
you, on the other hand, don't know me from a hole in the ground.
so, keep your false accusations to yourself.
trust and believe you don't know a thing about me.
i could also say you need medication but, that would be presumptious of me to do so.
stick to the topic and discuss that. otherwise, i refuse to engage in mudslinging with you.
have an okay day.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Maybe OP does not like Black Muslims
seems to me there is more than meets the eye with OP.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by heather65
reply to post by sos37

president obama has always stated what his religion is.
others have said "he's a secret muslim".
my point is not all muslims are terrorists.
you, on the other hand, don't know me from a hole in the ground.
so, keep your false accusations to yourself.
trust and believe you don't know a thing about me.
i could also say you need medication but, that would be presumptious of me to do so.
stick to the topic and discuss that. otherwise, i refuse to engage in mudslinging with you.
have an okay day.

What false accusations??? Are you on drugs or something that prevents you from reading and comprehending proper English? Where did I ever accuse you of anything in this thread? I asked if you couldn't handle the fact that Obama was merely a politician and not the 'chosen one', but that's hardly an accusation.

Yes, I know Obama has stated that he is a Christian. That's exactly my point. What is he saying in this article? Is he telling a certain group of people that he is a Muslim or that he is an American with Muslims in his family? The article isn't clear on that, thus the reason for this post.

Sounds like you are playing the "poor me" role to a bit of an extreme today. I recommend medication and maybe a bit of electrochock to calm those frazzled nerves. God help anyone who actually gives a damn about you.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by sos37]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Bald Champion
Maybe OP does not like Black Muslims
seems to me there is more than meets the eye with OP.

No there isn't. You're the only one who has brought up race by qualifying Muslims with the word "black". The post has nothing to do with Muslims being bad. It has to do with the president of the U.S. possibly admitting that he's a Muslim when he's told us all along that he is a Christian.

That's all there is to it. Please don't bring ignorance into this thread.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join