It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bow-ow-ow: Obama's painful missteps

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd
Ok.

#1. Please show some originality. You literally copied the headline from drudgereport.com

If you don't like America...get out.

Please read the T&C.

Quoting the exact headline has nothing to do with originality.

It is a requirement for posting in the breaking news forums (more correctly, fora).

And if you think I don't like America, then you haven't read or understood a single thing I've ever written or said.

Last, all "cultures" have to start somewhere. That in mind, my culture starts now with the requirement that you bow before me whenever you respond to one of my posts. For proof to satisfy my new protocol requirement, please post a webcam shot.

I'm waiting for you personally to show respect for my cultural differences ...

[edit on 4/8/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

And if you think I don't like America, then you haven't read or understood a single thing I've ever written or said.

Well, you, and millions of other Americans just like you are calling for Obama's defeat and the doom of our country.

I'd pretty much sum that up to "hating american"

Your story has no relevance of anything other than your attempt to make obama fail.

Don't you realize, if Obama does not succeed, even your precious conservative party wont' be able to save you when the boogeymen come crawling out of the wood work?

Last, all "cultures" have to start somewhere. That in mind, my culture starts now with the requirement that you bow before me whenever you respond to one of my posts. For proof to satisfy my new protocol requirement, please post a webcam shot.

Maybe you should try looking up the defition of what culture is.
One person does not define culture, furthermore it's decided over time.

American's have a culture that says freedom of religion, freedom of press, right to pursue happiness, etc.

Yet almost every time someone tries to pursue one of these freedoms that goes against the white conservative christian way, people like you come barging in with guns blazing.

If you hate American. Please. Leave.

Go sack up in Iraq. We've given them enough of our money...they could probably take better care of you anyway.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Fremd]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Well, you, and millions of other Americans just like you are calling for Obama's defeat and the doom of our country.

Well, that's a refreshing switch to the usual "you're a racist if you disagree with obama" rhetoric we often see here. Doesn't mean what you just wrote isn't as totally misguided as the racist remarks, though.

Oh, and re-read my previous post. I added something just for you. Something tells me I won't have any trouble finding a group of people that "share" my new culture. And don't make me ask you what grade you're in.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

centurion, please read that snippet again...Pres Obama did NOT admit to being a Muslim! Reading Comprehension 101.

Oh, and where was your outrage when GWB walked around holding hands with a Saudi Prince?? Don'tcha think that's a little Gay?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Don't you realize, if Obama does not succeed, even your precious conservative party wont' be able to save you when the boogeymen come crawling out of the wood work?

In less than 100 days obama has demonstrated for all to see that he doesn't personally have what it takes to succeed in this troubled world, nor has he surrounded himself with a staff that has enough of a clue to even begin to help him succeed. If you can't see this, then I suggest pulling your head out of the sand, then look around for yourself and read the news (from any source).

If you hate American. Please. Leave.

We, who have been around long enough to have built this country and have lived life long enough to understand what it takes, totally reject any such statement from you. No, if you hate the traditions and culture of this country, then you leave.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It is not a culture issue, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, only the King's "subjects" are expected or even allowed to bow to the King. By doing so, Obama mistakenly sent a message that he/we are on the same level of his subjects.

The Office of the President has many protocol officers to prevent this sort of thing, as well as blunders such as giving the Queen an Ipod. The rumors around Washington are that the Obamas refuse to listen to their Protocol Officers.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

centurion, please read that snippet again...Pres Obama did NOT admit to being a Muslim! Reading Comprehension 101.

That is simply your interpretation, or spin.

Oh, and where was your outrage when GWB walked around holding hands with a Saudi Prince?? Don'tcha think that's a little Gay?

In fact, I thought that was really stupid at the time and said so at the time.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

*** removed ***

Name calling is the best you can offer to the discussion?

Read the T&C ...

BTW, correctly said, it would be "you're a ...", not "your a ..."

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

When he said "...because I am one of them." he was referring to having once lived in a Muslim-majority Country.

I'm not spinning here....

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

When he said "...because I am one of them." he was referring to having once lived in a Muslim-majority Country.

I'm not spinning here....

Like I said.

That is just your interpretation. Others see it differently. Even using your interpretation, at best it is pandering of the lowest kind.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

I don't think anybody is "calling" or for the demise of our country if you are following the news and have been taking notes of what is going in government and what we as consumers have become, well you don't need to be a genius to figure out that we and our government had planned our own demise.

Still Presidents are not like monarchs they are not born in the US into royalty.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
And of course the White House is now also trying to spin this away from being just another obama gaffe.

article

The White House is denying that the president bowed to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia at a G-20 meeting in London, a scene that drew criticism on the right and praise from some Arab outlets.

"It wasn't a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he's taller than King Abdullah," said an Obama aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The Washington Times called the alleged bow a "shocking display of fealty to a foreign potentate" and said it violated centuries of American tradition of not deferring to royalty. The Weekly Standard, meanwhile, noted that American protocol apparently rules out bowing, or at least it reportedly did on the occasion of a Clinton "near-bow" to the emperor of Japan.

Interestingly, a columnist in the Saudi-backed Arabic paper Asharq Alawsat also took the gesture as a bow and appreciated the move.

So, the muslims that are used to bowing to their monarch also took it as obama bowing to their king ...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I don't think any of these things are blunders. obama made it clear during his campaign that he is the master of the gesture, the pause, body language. He knows exactly what he's doing. He did not bow in any way to Queen Elizabeth. I watched the video. The White House explained his bow to the Saudi king by saying he bent down to do a double handed handshake to a shorter person. I don't know about double handed, but it was a low bow. If you watched the video you will see nobody else bowing to anybody in that reception. obama's gesture stood out. Is it a huge deal? No. It's another message he's sending to the world. I respect the muslim world above others. He enhanced the positive muslim message throughout his trip.

michelle's rubbing the queen's back seemed even more out of place to me. Not so much because you're not supposed to touch the queen but because you're not supposed to touch anybody in that way that you just met at a formal occasion. You can shake hands. You can kiss the air or both cheeks. Maybe hug if you're being introduced to the spouse of a close friend or relative. But to slip your arm behind someone's waist and rub their back is the comforting gesture of an adult to a child or maybe a troubled old person. It did not strike me as affectionate at all. A touch on the arm might be okay but what she did was just plain weird. For whatever reason the queen let it pass. What after all could she do? If she'd flinched or acted horrified she would have been labeled racist. It would have been covered world wide and created an incident. Watch the video a few times. This was michelle's message that the rules don't apply to the obamas. They will enchroach as far as allowed.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by earlywatcher

Did she really rub her back? oh, my, were was Mrs. Obama when the history channel was doing their review on "protocol" I think she was having cocktails that day.

The only part of the Queen you can touch is her "gloved hand" but only after she offers her hand to you.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Mmmm, respecting other people's cultures instead of screaming "USA USA, what are you gonna do about it?"

What's wrong with him?

[edit on 8 Apr 2009 by schrodingers dog]

It has little to do with respecting other cultures,or you would have seen him bow to the Queen of England. Our country is set up where all it's citizens are soverign.We need not bow to any foreign king or soverign.
Obama merely made our country look subservent to the Saudi King.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

There is quite a bit of difference between bowing to the Saudi King,and holding the hand of the dottery old man to keep him steady on his feet.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by awake_awoke

I don't think our president should be bowing to anybody but us the American people that elected him and pay his salary, don't you think?

No.

I don't need the President to bow to me.
A handshake will do.

I have bowed to others in places where such gestures are customary.
It didn't make me the recipients personal slave nor he/she mine.
To those culturally ignorant of such gestures, unnecessary alarm is not surprising.

To answer your earlier question, I am sure that a US president has bowed before to a leader of a foreign nation. Not as a symbol of subservience but of a general respect for their customs.

If people are uncomfortable with this, how did they feel when the former president kissed and held hands with the Saudi leader?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/54f6d78b4aff.jpg[/atsimg]

To me thats a bit weirder and more personal than a "brief" bow.

So to date:

1. Obama is cozy with White racist royals that hate Blacks

2. Obama is cozy with South American racist leaders that hate Whites.

3. Obama is cozy with Saudi leaders and thus is a secret Muslim.

This nonsense is dizzying.

Perhaps he should have puked on him like Bush Sr. did to the Japanese Prime Minister.
That would REALLY prove to those on this fishing expedition that he loves America.

Then again...I doubt anything will quench these irrational fears being masqueraded as patriotic concern.

- Lee

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

It's called cultural differences. It's called respect for those differences. You see, outside that narrow hallway called your world-perspective, American really isn't #1 in everything who makes all the rules that everyone else must subside to. I hate to break it to you ... but respect and toleration is the direction this country is headed. If you don't like America...get out.

Now this is quite interesting, "It's called cultural differences. It's called respect for those differences." No, actually it is called 'being prepared when you meet foreign diplomats.' i would think it the complete opposite. Obama needs to remember he represents an entire country, forget, it is the most powerful country in the world. He makes us look ignorant and pompous when he does not care enough to learn different customary greetings. If you were in his shoes would you not spend five minutes preparing to properly meet a Head of State?

Now some of you will say this is not important. I beg to differ. First impressions are usually last impressions! In a time when America is not looked so favorably upon, these things matter.

Hopefully he will learn soon, but I seriously doubt it! He himself is too arrogant for his own good!

[edit on 8-4-2009 by paxnatus]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Calling for Obama to fail is NOT the same as calling for the doom of our country. In fact that's the exact opposite. What Obama wants to do is bad for America therefore if a person hopes he fails then they want what is good for america.

And you'd be wrong.

Giving a blank check to the POTUS isn't 'loving America'.
It's just being stupid.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join