It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten men arrested in terror raids

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Ten men arrested in terror raids

news.bbc.co.uk

Ten men have been arrested as part of a counter-terrorism operation across the north west of England.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.s ky.com

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This broke a while ago now, seems to be a serious and large scale operation.

Sky news suggested that the operation had to go ahead in a hurry because someone (govt official) was photographed getting out of a car with a very important document in full view!! – the police requested that Sky did not report that earlier in the day... Then the arrests took place.

A witness to the arrests at the university said that 2 people had a bomb.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Happy to see a potential disaster overted. Hopefully we can find that fine line between protection and liberty soon.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I've seen this scenario played out many times over the years. Big counter terrorism operations filmed in real time for the benefit of the population and the news corporations. Big talk from the Police commissioner and big talk from the politicians.

What happens next? All the suspects get held for a week(or however how long they can hold them for these days) then they get released without charge. Then the suspects come out and give interviews to the media, criticizing the Police and Government for locking up them for hours on end without any substantial evidence.

I'm sorry for being so cynical, I just can't help it these days.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
Happy to see a potential disaster overted. Hopefully we can find that fine line between protection and liberty soon.

I don't think we'll see such reasonable judgment any time soon. If you are found in possession of material critical of the government that material can be used as evidence of something.

This seems to have slipped by people.

I fully accept that terrorists need to be stopped, but when those same laws are used against citizens with the right to protest, and when "political material" is stated as a cause for arrest and detention, even partly, this is no longer a democratic and free country.

Until I'm told the real story here, I'll just assume that it's another attempt by our government to cover-up something, prevent dissent, destroy opposition or scare the public into allowing more abuses of power. It's their job to justify their actions and show why such draconian laws are really needed, and so far they're failing to convince me.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Apparently these raids were brought forward because the UK's most senior anti-terrorist police officer, Bob Quick, was photographed in Downing Street with secret documents on display.

See the BBC Report.

This has happened before... remember when the Housing Minister was photographed with a document predicting a significant dip in house prices over the next year or so.

If there's one place you'd expect to be photographed by the press, it'd be Downing Street

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It's bound to happen anway, once Muslim populations starts growing the sepretist agenda starts, it happens all over the world. Regardless of this being a setup or some government way to scapegoat a situation the fact is that democracy, diversity freedom and Islam don't mix and its very explosive when they do even I don't need to prove it. I really don't care if people say this is a stereotype view, I just think it takes time for people to wake up to it.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
There is talk that these terror raids may also be in connection to a number of threats made to UK Football grounds, The threat level was also raised,

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This is the photo in question as posted on the BBC news link:

Terror raids follow files blunder

I'm curious, would it be possible to 'do a CSI' on the image and be able to read the text of document he's holding?

[edit on 8-4-2009 by citizen smith]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I had this gut feeling from seeing 'North West' before following the link, that this would be Cheetham Hill. Not the first time either, remember those arrests from 2006:

www.independent.co.uk...

Meanwhile, two men were arrested today in anti-terror raids in Manchester, police said.

Greater Manchester Police made the arrests in raids on three houses in Cheetham Hill, Manchester at 6am.

There are no links to the raids in London and the south east of England, a GMP spokesman said.

The arrests are linked to raids that took place on August 23 when one man was held and a house on Elmfield Street, Cheetham Hill, was searched.

He is still being held by police under anti-terrorism legislation.

A spokesman for GMP said: "Greater Manchester Police's Anti-Terrorist Unit has today Saturday 2 September, 2006 executed three search warrants under the Terrorism Act 2000.

"Two men have been arrested and searches are now taking place at three addresses in the Cheetham Hill area of Manchester.

"Officers made the arrests at 6am this morning.

"The arrests are linked to the operation that took place on 23 August. It is in connection with an ongoing investigation and has been carried out acting on intelligence

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk...

Mehreen Haji, 25, of Elmfield Street, Cheetham Hill was arrested at a house in Radcliffe last week.

Her arrest came just days after her partner Habib Ahmed was charged with attending a Pakistani terrorist training camp and detailing information about possible terrorist targets on computer.

Today police confirmed the woman had been charged with two counts of "entering into an arrangement as a result of which '2,005 was made available to Habib Ahmed knowing or having reasonable suspicion that it would, or might be used for the purposes of terrorism, contrary to section 17 of the Terrorism Act 2000" on May 11 and May 12 this year.

I only remember as i have family there and was quite worried at the time for them, the arrests weren't far from where they live.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
I'm curious, would it be possible to 'do a CSI' on the image and be able to read the text of document he's holding?

Sky news has what they call a zoomifier
h ere

All the main details are still blanked out - but you can read 80% of the visable text.

I did a couple of screen grabs...

And I also hear this fella has resigned because of this.

[edit on 9/4/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Yes the Officer in question has resigned, I do think Gordon Brown/Jaqui Smith are glad to see the back off him anyways,he was the Officer to lead the enquiry in the cash for MP'S questions, an was the officer whom questioned tony blair when he was P/M.

Amazes me that Sky withheld this until the anti terror raids took place.

The police can hold them for 24 days without charge, then they have to go to the courts to have this period of detention increased.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
Amazes me that Sky withheld this until the anti terror raids took place.

Well very soon after the powers that be realised what had happened they were very clear to Sky news that they should not broadcast it - Sky news went ahead and showed the photo with all of the text blacked out as soon as they got the word about the swoops. And now you can read most of it.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I agree. Until theres real evidence I automatically assume that they've arrested some protestors or whistle blowers, or heaven forbid, those aware and awake and participating in conspiracy forums.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
Apparently these raids were brought forward because the UK's most senior anti-terrorist police officer, Bob Quick, was photographed in Downing Street with secret documents on display.

See the BBC Report.

This has happened before... remember when the Housing Minister was photographed with a document predicting a significant dip in house prices over the next year or so.

If there's one place you'd expect to be photographed by the press, it'd be Downing Street

Any chance of seeing those documents do you think? Checked wiki leaks to no avail.

S.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smokersroom
Any chance of seeing those documents do you think? Checked wiki leaks to no avail.

I put these screen grabs in another thread - but may as well re-post them here.

That's what all the fuss was about.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This is an interesting matter.

One other thing to consider is that maybe Mr Quick's actions were deliberate.

Maybe he was privy to something we are unaware of - especially, as has been mentioned above, due to the nature of his job he would not perhaps not be the most popular person with certain members of the government.

It may well be the case that there was a plot, the government knew and were possibly going to let it happen (would it be the first time?).

In steps Mr Quick intentionally letting the cat out of the bag, averting a government-sponsored attack on the people of the UK and then falling on his sword.

Could be a silent hero for all we know.

Too much coffee methinks!

[edit on 9/4/2009 by skibtz]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

That's the document in question. Bob Quick was going into Downing Street to brief the Prime Minister about the upcoming operations. As you can see, it gives away the general locations of the raids that were about to take place, as well as the number of planned arrests and the immigration status of those about to be detained (11 from Pakistan on student visas, 1 British citizen.) It's probably more than enough to have given the suspects a warning that the police were coming for them.

[edit on 9/4/09 by Ste2652]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

It's bound to happen anway, once Muslim populations starts growing the sepretist agenda starts, it happens all over the world.

One of you guys always has to show up in a British Terror thread don't you?

Let's not derail the proceedings here.

That's got absolutely nothing to do with the detainment of people who are as yet to be formally charged and no word has been made over the details of why they were arrested.

Stay calm, focused and try not to let seething prejudice overwhelm you for 5 minutes.

[edit on 9/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

I agree with you.
The reason you would ask the media not to release this (at least until after the raids) is because it would impede their operation...

It is akin to a drug dealer who always monitors the police scanner in case he ever hears that the cops are moving towards his house.

On a side note though, I was most interested in the last line.

Media Strategy:
The media strategy has been ratified t...

So, while I agree that they wanted to catch the people first, there is something up here when they feel the need to plan for the spin to give the people.
Sure, only an idiot wouldn't expect that they do this regularly... but it is THIS people should be outraged by. No transparency.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join