It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Lets Obama Turn Off the Internet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Bill Lets Obama Turn Off the Internet

www.webpronews.com

Two bills introduced giving the President the power to deem a private network part of the nation’s critical infrastructure and shut it down for cybersecurity reasons also gives the Commerce Secretary the power to access network data outside of oversight. - The Big Brother vibe coming off both is reminiscent of a demanding report submitted before Obama even took office. About a month after Election Day, the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) issued a report called Securing Cyberspace for the 44th President.

Heard of the military-industrial complex? The CSIS is likely where they meet to carpool.

The recommendations in the report, ignored by the previous administration, are sweeping and demanding. The principle minds behind it hailed from the CIA, the US Navy, Microsoft, Sun, AT&T, ICANN, Lockheed Martin, Cisco, and GE—among a slew of others—and likely those minds felt confident they’d get a more sympathetic ear from the new President. And they were likely right. They’d get that from Congress, too.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
BlackListedNews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bill Would Grant President Unprecedented Cyber-security Powers
Before obama sensor's out the internet i want to say...
Alan Keyes: Stop Obama or U.S. will cease to exist

[edit on 8-4-2009 by News And History]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Senators Jay Rockefeller and Olympia Snowe introduced this piece of trash legislation last week. They've repeated much of same things, which the CSIS has reported, in regards to how concerned they are about online-security (especially identity-fraud).

Obama Wants Control of the Internet

The article written by By Drew Zahn © 2009 WorldNetDaily, brings to your attention two new bill; S.773 & S.778; both of which will grant our govt and president, control over the internet.

A working draft of the legislation: cdt.org...

• Center for Democracy and Technology: cdt.org...
• Senate document explaining the bill: commerce.senate.gov...
• Electronic Frontier Foundation: www.eff.org...

Congress Contacts:
The Honorable Kenny Marchant
Cannon House Office Building Suite 227
Washington DC 20515-4324
marchant.house.gov...

The Honorable Kay Bailey Hutchison
Russell Senate Office Building Suite 284 Washington DC 20510-4302 hutchison.senate.gov...

The Honorable John Cornyn
Hart Senate Office Building Suite 517
Washington DC 20510-4304
cornyn.senate.gov...

BlackListedNews - WebPro News

One bill creates the office of cybersecurity czar, called a National Cybersecurity Adviser, who will oversee national network security. Confirmed by the Senate, the cybersecurity czar will have the highest security clearance necessary to monitor infrastructure networks and will be a party to secret initiatives.

www.webpronews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-4-2009 by News And History]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
And it begins.

Next they will claim that Conficker is in too deep and it must be stopped, at any costs!

/delete [internet]
/insert [New Internet]
/Make websites apply for 'licenses'
/Guess the rest

I'm actually dissapointed in them, they are getting so transparent the more arrogant and confident they become.

EMM

[edit on 8-4-2009 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

I know what you mean. You're right on target.

Obama and the global elite

Google Video Link

This documentary exposes the truth behind Obama and the story of the people who control him and every other president we have had in the past 100 years. You will see that Obama, like Bush before him is a walking contradiction that is used to push the Council on Foreign Relations agenda that is nothing less than a global goverment. Do your own research, factcheck this documentary, and please download this before internet 2 is in place.

Surviving And Resisting Obama’s Communist Revolution

Preparation and tactics for resistance:

To control Americans these Communists can be counted on to:
1. Shut down or control access to the Internet, commercial radio and television airwaves.
2. Make an effort to seize arms and ammunition from civilians.
3. Tightly control who receives food, medicine, water and fuel through identification and data.
4. Create a paid snitch network to expose members of the resistance.
5. Kill thousands if not millions of civilians like every other Marxist regime before them on this earth.

To resist Americans must:
1. Learn who you can trust in your own neighborhood.
2. Create neighborhood organizations with a command structure. Using the words of our founders, “A well regulated Militia.”
3. Create your own currency with gold, diamonds, fuel, food and ammunition.
4. Stockpile non-perishable food and look for alternative sources of food like hunting and fishing.
5. Know where your drinking water will come from.
6. Obtain cheap and easy family service radios. Find and befriend your local ham radio operators.
7. Expect in extreme weather conditions to be without fuel or power for heating and cooling.
8. Stockpile batteries, medicine and first aid supplies.
9. Be ready to engage in fierce combat with those supporting the Communists and other criminals.
10. Never ever fire any shots from the vicinity of your own home unless you want to see it blown up by the Communists forces.
11. Obtain some survival reading materials.
12. Learn how to make and deploy effective improvised explosive devices from fuel, fertilizer and household items.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Fascinating! Though, if you look at the text of the bills, they are still in working draft form and are not yet on the calendar. Hopefully this will blow up in the faces of the proposer.

This should make us all remember that Obama has not given up any of the powers that were given to Bush. Likewise, he has doubled those powers by extending them into financial security.

A lot of these things, taken by themselves can be seen as reasonable precautions. However, it seems that the government and the administration are afraid of types of civil unrest. Private networks are a perfect example of how individuals could resist government oppression. Case in point: modern China.

S+F good post!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Obama is a colossal fraud and a tool of the Bilderbergers.

two lines.

You want change? Obama will give you change- but not tomorrow, not in a year, but 'someday'- when hell freezes over.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You're right. He's not changing anything to serve us, he's following his bosses' orders.

reply to post by Iago18

I see what you mean. I appreciate the information you & others have shared with all of us, here. I hope to learn more about our common problems & solutions.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I am trying to fathom how they would turn off a network that was designed not to be turned off.

This is making my head spin just thinking about this. Once you had access, it would be difficult to keep you from doing things on it.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by xman_in_blackx

I was wondering this too. Even in the days of old dial-in front doors and BBS's it would be impossible to just shut them all down. Like pirate radio they would still exist in some form or another.

I guess if all Tier 1 hubs were shut down there could be severe issues with access but it wouldnt all just disappear suddenly.

I dont think killing the 'internet' is likely but I do think a forced infrastructure change is possible and likely somewhat resembling the HDTV switch. If all the cable and phone providers just switched off and forced new hardware we'd have a problem. This would be ridiculously expensive though and no doubt there would be ways to bypass any sort of restrictions/tracking associated with the new connections.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
if the internet becomes controled, censored, and at times shut off by the government....get ready things are going to kick into overdrive and the american way and constitution will burn... all info will be sanitized and controled, state run...we will only learn what they want us to...this is F#%ed up.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by xman_in_blackx
I am trying to fathom how they would turn off a network that was designed not to be turned off.

This is making my head spin just thinking about this. Once you had access, it would be difficult to keep you from doing things on it.

Just a guess, but I think they would render the existing internet unusable by degrading security and speed etc. until everyone 'voluntarily' switched to a new better faster internet that they happen to be working on right now...

just a guess...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
When gov controls the internet all I can say is..

There goes the neighborhood.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This must be the part they are concerned about in the "Working Draft"-
See page 42 of the document.

3 SEC. 16. LEGAL FRAMEWORK REVIEW AND REPORT.
4 (a) IN GENERAL.—Within 1 year after the date of
5 enactment of this Act, the President, or the President’s
6 designee,, through an appropriate entity, shall complete a
7 comprehensive review of the Federal statutory and legal
8 framework applicable to cyber-related activities in the
9 United States, including—
10 (1) the Privacy Protection Act of 1980 (42
11 U.S.C. 2000aa);
12 (2) the Electronic Communications Privacy Act
13 of 1986 (18 U.S.C. 2510 note);
14 (3) the Computer Security Act of 1987 (15
15 U.S.C. 271 et seq; 40 U.S.C. 759);
16 (4) the Federal Information Security Manage17
ment Act of 2002 (44 U.S.C. 3531 et seq.);
18 (5) the E-Government Act of 2002 (44 U.S.C.
19 9501 et seq.);
20 (6) the Defense Production Act of 1950 (50
21 U.S.C. App. 2061 et seq.);
22 (7) any other Federal law bearing upon cyber23
related activities; and
24 (7) any applicable Executive Order or agency
25 rule, regulation, guideline.

....and page 44 of the draft -

5 (2) may declare a cybersecurity emergency and
6 order the limitation or shutdown of Internet traffic
7 to and from any compromised Federal government
8 or United States critical infrastructure information
9 system or network;

This must be why the news is full of articles on the attacks on our infrastructure today.

See this related thread.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I imagine the only way the worlds largest collection of communication and scattered knowledge could be shut down is within a slow process. I personally think it is theoretically impossible to just hit the switch and shut the internet down. If they tried well I'm sure me and a group of friends would host our own server and just transmit wirelessly. Maybe setup some repeaters. The internet is just to big.

But if slowly it was possible to start requiring different licensing and then adding to that, I could see the internet turn into a more locked down thing. That would still take years but I could see it happening. I also think there would be a huge uprising from hackers, crackers, pirates and such.

The internet is possibly our best source for information that TPTB don't want us to have. If they successfully take away that I tell ya I'll be one of the many that will have 1000's of ebooks and other material I will readily distribute across private servers and personal computers. Information cannot and will not be withheld from everyone. They want to start a cyber revolution, they will have one and not just from me....

[edit on 8-4-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I think this is a real threat.

I've been looking at Tor networks. Check out: Tor

If the internet is really shutdown, it could be a way of keeping ATS 'on the air' or forming information cells.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I think it is a good guess and that would take care of the majority and thus take care of the problem.

Given wireless tech and its abundance, it would be hard to shut it down completely to those in the know.

The majority of those who surf could easily be stopped with an easy migration to the latest IP suite.

Hackers and crackers will always have access so this is how you know that the legislation has nothing to do with them and more to do with controlling information and opinion.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
i'm tired of this world run by just a few aholes and want total control over the world. they do this and they may just find out they aren't as powerful as they think they are.
i don't know how your 500 million dollar yacht blew up with you on it.
i don't know how your 500 million dollar mansion burned to the ground.
etc etc
wasn't me i'm just a plebe
and since you consider me just a stupid lowlife common person couldn't have been since you are way smarter than me

[edit on 8-4-2009 by bigfoot1212]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
Obama is a colossal fraud and a tool of the Bilderbergers.

two lines.

You want change? Obama will give you change- but not tomorrow, not in a year, but 'someday'- when hell freezes over.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by star in a jar]

If someone is going to kill or imprison me anyway, then there is no reason for me to stop smoking or drinking.

As a matter of fact, yesterday I cleaned out a store that hadn't marked up all of it's tobacco yet. Smokes for a year.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
No one, not even Obama, can turn off the Internet without the permission of Al Gore.

Only Algore can do that!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

This must be why the news is full of articles on the attacks on our infrastructure today.

Correct! These criminals always use the two-prong attack. First, the media dispenses propaganda in the form of "news items" that "support" the need for the legislation, then the government introduces the legislation. There is always a false flag operation, followed by the legislation that "addresses" the fabricated "emergency". They learned well from their old friend Adolph.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join