It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish Flash T.V. MOCKS U.S President Obama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Amazing.

Look at the clip. The Turkish reporter mocks obama by appearing in "blackface" during his news broadcast! All this after obama basically went to Turkey on his knees in an attempt to further appease the muslims.

video

Really looks like obama has a grip on foreign policy - NOT.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
More on the appeasement aspect of obama's trip to Turkey.

article

THE real climax of President Obama's Spring Apologies Tour wasn't his photo op with our troops in Baghdad or even his "American Guilt" concerts in Western Europe.

While fans in the press cheered wildly at every venue, the real performance came in Turkey. And it was a turkey.

Obama means well. Just as Jimmy Carter, his policy godfather, meant well. But the road to embassy takeovers and strategic humiliation is paved with good intentions -- coupled with distressing naivete.

On every stage, Obama draped Lady Liberty in sackcloth and ashes, drawing plentiful applause but no serious economic or security cooperation in return. Then, in Turkey, he surrendered our national pride, undercut our interests and interfered in matters that aren't his business.

On the latter point: Suppose the European Union president went to Cuba and insisted that the world's sunniest concentration camp should be welcomed into NAFTA? That's the equivalent of what our president did in Ankara on Monday when he declared that he supports Turkey's bid for EU membership.

But the press loved it ...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I wouldn't call it "blackface", as that has over exaggerated features in its make up. Not saying its not mocking him, it's just not blackface.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged

I wouldn't call it "blackface", as that has over exaggerated features in its make up. Not saying its not mocking him, it's just not blackface.

Uh, have you ever even seen an old movie where the actors used blackface? This is very much the same, and any way you want to try and spin it, it was meant as an insult to obama - which is the real point of this thread.

[edit on 4/8/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Yes, I have seen the old movies, which have the eyes, mouth, and lips over exaggerated, which this does not, this is just dark make up. I'm not arguing with you, i'm just saying, this is not stereotypical blackface make up. Plus I dont have sound here or speak Turkish, so I dont know what they are saying or trying to "spin"

[edit on 8-4-2009 by stereovoyaged]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Presidents have been mocked on T.V. for as long as people have been watching. Other countries mock them and the U.S. even mocks them.

Is blackface racist? I think so. Was the reporter only trying to boost ratings? Probably.

At the end of the day, all that matters is the impact that Obama has on the leaders of Turkey and how the two governments deal with each other.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I was waiting for one of these to come out.
They always do.
hahahahahahahahaha

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Yeah because Bush's war on terror was somehow Obama's fault. The war on terror is the reason the population over there isn't the most supportive of the US government. They felt like it was a war on Islam so one trip with a new president isn't going to do anything.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12

Yeah because Bush's war on terror was somehow Obama's fault. The war on terror is the reason the population over there isn't the most supportive of the US government. They felt like it was a war on Islam so one trip with a new president isn't going to do anything.

So you think we should have done what after being attacked many times by radical (not all) muslims leading up to 9/11???? WE felt like it was a war against US and our way of life. OK for them but not for us?

Hypocritical ...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

You can disagree with the president's stance and efforts on the foreign policy front all you want. But here I am clicking on this thread thinking there is going to be at least a tiny little mention as to just how disrespectful the Turkish press is for pulling a stunt like this, and instead you turn this thread into support for insulting and degrading a head of state who actually made the effort to promote peaceful beneficial relations.

I don't care if you have no faith in Mr. Obama's ability to be president, but getting joy out of racism towards him? Gee, I'd hate to have you on my side.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I thought the world was supposed to love the U.S. after Obama got elected. Isn't that what we were promised? I remember hearing and reading consistently through out the election that if we elected McCain the world will continue to hate us, and if we elected Obama the world will love us again. Guess that's another promise down the crapper!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by danj3ris

I don't care if you have no faith in Mr. Obama's ability to be president, but getting joy out of racism towards him? Gee, I'd hate to have you on my side.

Ah, another one to falsely and naively play the racism card over criticism of obama.

My point - just for you - is simply that obama (and his minions) has no clue about how to handle foreign policy. Having him go groveling to Turkey and then get this as a response - remember who controls the Turkish media - is proof of what I'm saying. Yes, what the Turkish media did was racial, but it goes to show how little that part of the world thinks of obama and his efforts.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

See, here you explained yourself! I wasn't "playing the race card" as a last ditch effort to sling mud towards an Obama criticizer. I simply made the inference that if you were going to insult the President, which you did in your first post with the sarcastic "NOT" comment, and then argue that the actions of the Turkish press was a deliberate use of "black-face", what was I to think other than you supported their disrespectful tactic?

Your point (just for me), really should have been made towards everyone here. I'll take the hit in case anyone plays the race card.

Edit: As in, it's been squashed.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by danj3ris]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by danj3ris

See, here you explained yourself! I wasn't "playing the race card" as a last ditch effort to sling mud towards an Obama criticizer. I simply made the inference that if you were going to insult the President, which you did in your first post with the sarcastic "NOT" comment, and then argue that the actions of the Turkish press was a deliberate use of "black-face", what was I to think other than you supported their disrespectful tactic?

Your point (just for me), really should have been made towards everyone here. I'll take the hit in case anyone plays the race card.

Good, I'm glad you understand that I clearly was posting about the actions of the Turkish media being racial in nature and also a clear signal that the world doesn't plan to just bow down to our newly elected messiah just because obama shows up (and bows down and grovels himself).

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Well i am turkish,let me summarize the sit for you.,1st,this channel could be described as something between fox news and the sun newspaper in UK.And its not even a majorly watched channel...But still, its not racist even a bit:

About his face being black,he tells that whenever a US president visits Turkey,he alway requests something from Turkey and get it,so he says this time we will also request something etc.

There is a saying/proverb in Turkish,it goes something(but not quite)like this,when you request something from someone your face is black/dark(like being shameless,nothing related to black people),if he doesnt give,his face is darker(or both faces black more shameless).I know it sounds very dumb when translated,and my translation sucks(there are other Turkish members here maybe one of them will translate it better) but it isnt that dumb, i mean the saying,its like a poem/rhyme etc.

So no need to get offended,but yes,the reporter is an idiot,well not him but the news director or whatever he is called in English...Idiot?Yes,racist?No.

Hope that helps...

From a Turkish Native

Gee, how awesome it feels to sit down and stop this spin in less time than it took for the OP to post another ridiculous Obama hate thread before actually researching what it is they're posting before they do it.

I would suggest not to look at global issues with an ethnocentric view point, especially when the material you're posting is in a language no where near similar to your own and in a country on the opposite side of the globe. What the reporter did was stupid, but that was because they're a 2 bit television news show and whomever called the shots didn't consider the international ramifications of using blackface and an audience that wouldn't understand the reporter's actual message.

Here is a more coherent translation I found as well:

Dark face in Turkish means that somebody should feel ashame and is not connected to the blackface term in US. This comes from a Turkish proverb which is roughly translated into "They who request something should have a black face, and they how do not give something [comply with the request] should have an even darker face", i.e. you should be ashame (humble) when you request something but even more so if you do not comply with someone else's request .

This person is not making fun of Obama but makes a humble request about cooperation against PKK. His is well aware of that his act will be provocative but he does it in the hope that Obama will receive the message when US media shows this without translating and explaining the cultural context (and he seem to be correct in his assumption).

The second issue is about the "Armenian genocide". In your speech today you said that your point of view in this subject have not changed. Please give us your support in this subject against the propaganda from the Armenian lobby.

Please continue with your support for Turkeys concession procedure to EU. Also, there is this subject of IMF. We do not want money from you, we want cooperation.

You said in your speech that Turkey is an important allied to US. Give us what we want as allies and we will give you what you want.

Source

That should clear things up a bit I hope.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Avenginggecko]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

So you think we should have done what after being attacked many times by radical (not all) muslims leading up to 9/11???? WE felt like it was a war against US and our way of life. OK for them but not for us?

Hypocritical ...

In general, the Afgan war was considered needed I think by everyone. Iraq though, I think it goes without saying how that will be viewed. You look at things like Abu Garabe and some of the stupid things American soldiers have done to civilians, you really think a different face on a terrible system is going to put them at ease? And it's only been a couple months, to demonstrate change and gain trust isn't going to be easy with those that have unfavorable views.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This is how weak the world got.
People could make fun of Bush and his big ears (physical trait), his goofy look constantly on his face, and his big head along with his accent, but if you make fun of any of Obamas physical features you are marked as racist.
Get a grip. This was funny. Laugh it off. If you cant, you take life wayyyyyyyyyyy too seriously and might need to mingle more with other races in your lives once in a while. Hell I have mexican friends, and I call them names all the time, and they laugh at me follwed by a "weto" shut up remark(which then I then laugh at). I got black friends that I call every name in the book, only to be followed by every white joke in the book. It works both ways, and if you cant laugh over that, then you sir(or Maam) might still have some secret closet racial tensions within yourselves.
If he thought such a joke or remark like that would make him branded a racist for life by people, do you think he would have actually done it?
No, he wouldnt. So that tells you that he did it only in a humorous way, not in hate.
Get Over Yourselves.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Don't take that TV Channel seriously, because no one in Turkey does. Mainstream media were very pleased with Obama in Turkey. Almost all the major newspapers and TV Channels wrote positive things about him and about the outcomes of his visit.

The guy is just another idiot looking to attract attention.

As for Obamas interferance with Turkey's internal an EU relations(latest pool shows %83 of public wants no relations with EU let alone joining the union), thats another topic of serious discussion. But overall he left here leaving good impressions.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by MoonandStar]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Why isn't cnn or msnbc showing this, oh yep we forget they want the americans to believe that obama was liked by everyone.

Why not send this to john stewert or colbert to get them to show it.

Then america can see what the turks really thought of obama.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   

The war on terror is the reason the population over there isn't the most supportive of the US government.

Um ... no.

They hated us long before the War on Terror over in that area of the world. People here love to point to Bush and the War on Terror and say it's the cause, but that's simply not true.

One look at the history of anti-Western rhetoric and terrorist attacks proves that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join