It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Crackdown on Piracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Today feds have raid 10 countries, and 27 US states in attempts to dismantle distributors of copyrighted material.

One server seized in the United States contained 65,000 separate pirated titles, authorities said
"Intellectual property theft is a global problem that hurts economies around the world," Attorney General John Ashcroft said in a statement announcing the crackdown. "To be effective, we must respond globally."

Lately I have seen a few banner ads on the net saying that Piracy supports terrorism.. Becuse terrorists use piracy as funding? Sounds like bull to me, I'm not saying piracy is a good thing but linking it to terrorism is just idiotic.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I hope they never find my CD backups of endless movies lol. In regards to piracy supporting terrorism, i don't quite see how that would work? Now if they were funneling money from donation funds (I've heard they have but too lazy to Google it up) thats something different.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
according to the DMCA you can have a back up copy of every software title you own. Now if you were to run a server that stores these back up copies on-line for other people that's legal too. Does anyone have a link to where this story came from?

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
A link would be nice...

I'm wondering what type of copyrighted material specifically.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thatoneguy
Lately I have seen a few banner ads on the net saying that Piracy supports terrorism.. Becuse terrorists use piracy as funding? Sounds like bull to me, I'm not saying piracy is a good thing but linking it to terrorism is just idiotic.

Lately everything that was not promoted on 'Father Knows best' is an act of terrorism, or allegedly supports terrorism.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I forgot that to post the link.

I had it bookmarked so I was gonna get back on my computer and edit my post but when I turned on my PC I couldnt boot into Windows...

So right now im on Linux and..... I dont have the link at the moment.... It was a Yahoo! News story though

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Everything supports terrorism, according to 'them'.

Its like Bill Mahr said, 'The tell you these things support terror, because it draws attention away from the OIL COMPANIES'.

Smart guy there........

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
i'm not sure if this was the link, but i found this on yahoo.
www.nzherald.co.nz...

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
i'm with DjNothing on this one......it's just another way to deceive the public.....
They are running out of motives and lies..that's the truth, imo.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Arrrgggh. Just say no to Pirates.

----------------------------------------------------------

Seriously though, this has been an issue for years.
It will continue to be a problem until they create a protection that cannot be cracked.

Some further data....

According to The Business Software Alliance :

Thirty-nine percent of the world's software is pirated.

Anti-Piracy Information
Software is one of the most valuable technologies of the Information Age, running everything from PCs to the Internet. Unfortunately, because software is so valuable, and because computers make it easy to create an exact copy of a program in seconds, software piracy is widespread. From individual computer users to professionals who deal wholesale in stolen software, piracy exists in homes, schools, businesses and government. Software pirates not only steal from the companies that make the software, but with less money for research and development of new software, all users are hurt. That's why all software piracy � even one copy you make for a friend � is illegal.

Mr. Gates is even somewhat guilty of this. The windowed GUI was not an original idea.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The interesting thing about this is that from early on, Microsoft was not that concerned with piracy, because even though you might have pirated Win 95, you were still using it which helped make Microsoft the industry standard. Just like a Drug Dealer they didn't mind giving you the first few hits for free, but now its a Micro$oft world and Win XP cost $150.

Bill Gates isn't stupid...

dz

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I've been a software programmer for a long time. I like to believe in this notion: If you want to use a piece of software just for fun and to learn it, than it should be free. But if you want to go make money using this software, than pay for it as it'll pay for itself in the long run.

Software piracy is not a bad thing. Show me a bad point and I'll show you how it's good.

Software piracy steals from the programmer? If anything, it just gets our software out to more people to use and get used to. Eventually, when the time comes and you go to a company, you're going to be used to our software and are going to request they buy it.

It supports terrorism? Could someone explain to me where the link from this is? As far as I know, software pirates do not get paid for their actions. So how are they supporting terrorism? With what funds?

I know of people that were raided in this bust. It's a shame we have nothing better to do than raid a bunch of kids. Granted some were probably older, but they were causing no harm.

Why aren't we worrying about more important things than this?

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by dz]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Also, just like the MP3 downloading 'craze', these corporate A-Holes seem to think that every 'pirated' program is a sale lost.

This is not necessarily the case, and usually isnt, IMO.

I agree with DZ. It does do wonders for getting your product out there. Even to people who would not have ever been able to afford it anyways. In cases like this especially, this doesnt mean that a sale was lost.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The news said it seemed most people where scared away for downloads. People dont want to get sued.

new topics

top topics

join