It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An ode to Carl Sagan: A discussion of Life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The reason I posted this here is because Carl Segan expanded the ideas of life elsewhere, which relates to Aliens. He never feared to speculate, and that speculation never exceeded the possible. Sagan promoted planetary astronomy and the search for intelligent life, which led to his becoming one of the most famous scientists of his time through tv and his writings. He opened the imagination of everyone who has seen him, and is undoubtedly one of the greatest minds of the 20th century. I'm sure everyone can agree on that. After his death, he left behind a legacy of knowledge that should never be forgotten.

I'm sure most of you have seen Cosmos. For those who haven't you can watch the entire thing here. Its extremely long spanning several episodes (each being an hour or so long), so you might want to take your time with it.

Cosmos

The order is as follows.

1. The Shores of the Cosmic Ocean

2. One Voice in the Cosmic Fugue (This is my personal favorite)

3. The Harmony of the Worlds

4. Heaven and Hell

5. Blues for a Red Planet

6. Travelers' Tales

7. The Backbone of Night

8. Travels in Space and Time

9. The Lives of the Stars

10. The Edge of Forever

11. The Persistence of Memory

12. Encyclopedia Galactica

13. Who Speaks for Earth?

I think that this is something that any ATS user can appreciate, and odds are already appreciate (for those not familiar with Segan's work, I hope you enjoy it). I would like to devote this thread to the great works of Carl Sagan, and hope that everyone has something to say.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I have been watching Cosmos on Hulu for the last few nights...its a great show that more people should see...particularly the episode Who Speaks for Earth.Sadly these days its more topical than ever.
I also love Carl's quote "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."Its a mantra i repeat to myself when browsing these forums sometimes.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I like when he talks about the Tunguska event. A comet fragment explodes in Russia flattening forests and creating a massive blast wave resembling a nuke. I like how he commented that in today's world we would most likely jump the gun on this type of event and see it as a nuke. Crazy how a natural event could cause ww3

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I used to watch Carl Sagan as a child and I think I can safely say he was a huge influence on my lifelong outlook.

Using sound science, poetic descriptions and astronomical imagination he helped clarify what the universe 'was' and what it 'could be'.

His musings on extraterrestrial life, the history of mankind (I really liked the way he spoke of the Great Library of Alexandria) and what intelligence is - is more akin to a David Attenborough deconstructive documentary of wildlife than some far fetched sci-fi story.

It must be something in the air - because only a month or so ago I was watching Cosmos (in 10 minute chunks) on YouTube*, and only 2 weeks ago James Randi put a small video regarding him on his page on YouTube.

He was a great mind who is sorely missed, but has influenced so many in such a positive way that I'm sure if there were an afterlife - he'd find some joy in how he is perceived.

I would wish for my children to watch Cosmos and hopefully capture some of the awe and hunger to explore I felt and that has touched me so deeply and for so long.

-m0r

*Thanks for the bigger versions of Cosmos!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I, too, applaud this ode to Carl Sagan.

May I also point out that the movie "Contact" (perhaps the best film to expand one's mind regarding potential alien contact since 'ET') was based on one of his ideas.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I decided to bump this because I could not let it go into the night without discussion. I decided as I bump this thread to include additional information that could be discussed. Here is a WIKI biography on him and his life. There are references to UFOs and Project Blue Book inside as well if anyone wants to know his stand.

Short Biography

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I have the re-edited version but also loved watching it when it first aired. Lots of great video!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Hi Carl fans !

AND, that BEAUTIFUL music. The theme of his "Cosmos" show
by Vangelis, on PBS TV:
www.youtube.com...

And another fantastic music !:
www.youtube.com...
It starts slow and quiet, and gets GRANDIOSE !

I still have many 12' vinyl long plays of Vangelis, Kitaro,
Enya, Yanni! and many tape cassettes, and many CDs now ! B-)

Blue skies.

[edit on 2009/4/9 by C-JEAN]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Carl Sagan's Cosmos is an amazing work. It totally changed not only the way I think about the universe, but also about the nature of reality. A truly groundbreaking documentary series.

I believe that Sagan will go down in history as one of the greatest thinkers of our generation.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Thank you for this thread. This is a must star and flag...

Carl Sagan was an incredibly brilliant scientist and author and I've almost finished reading one of his books, Billions and Billions.

I'm very intrigued by Cosmos, both his book and the show. I'm on Hulu now getting ready to watch the first episode.

Oh and, Contact is one of my favorite movies. That opening scene is classic.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I've watched the whole series several times.

A brilliant mind indeed.

And just for clarification, he actually wrote Contact, book and screenplay.

Source: IMDB

Edit: S&F - this should be required viewing

[edit on 4/9/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Done...and done....

Too much has been lost, since his passing....notably, the lack of real science that is terribly prevantly displayed all too often, even here on ATS!!

Oh....*sigh*....it usually falls on 'deaf' ears.....

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I agree completely. The world of science has changed since Carl was alive. Sagan was often treated with scorn from his peers for popularizing science. Which I believe to be a huge flaw in the community. Science should be popular!! He changed the outlook of so many people because he brought the Cosmos into our homes. He explained things in such a way that you cannot help but to be fascinated by his words. His death is a huge loss to all of humanity.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Great post

I read 'Cosmos' a long time ago and it was truly wonderful book - I think it should be compulsory reading for schoolchildren everywhere (and certain adults)

There are some great Carl Sagan quotes at this link, including
this classic:

"All civilizations become either spacefaring or extinct."
Carl Sagan

refspace.com...:0
Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
There is a lot of truth to that quote too. Eventually the Earth will die as do all worlds. I just hope I am not alive to see it. I don't think I could stand seeing our beautiful world perish.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Carl,

You are dearly missed by many more you might imagine... I, like many, owe You my love for space, exploration and desire to vanquish the unknown...

Godspeed Friend, now You know all the secrets You chased all your life, just wish You could teach us once again

Thank You

Francesco

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Learn something new every day. I didn't know Carl Segan wrote contact!! That is an amazing movie!! I do hate at the end how they cover it up though. Seems that isn't far from what happens today in the media. Coverups..... Sheesh.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: I carry the memory of Carl Sagan in my heart!
Science is PROFOUNDLY amazing!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
My question is... How did this end up in Aliens and UFOs when I posted it in the Science forum... odd..

Did a Mod fall asleep at the wheel?
edit on 3-6-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

i have been calling myself a "saganist" for years

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join