It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama team warns U.S. lawmakers: Expect confrontation with Israel

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

www.haaretz.com

In an unprecedented move, the Obama administration is readying for a possible confrontation with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu by briefing Democratic congressmen on the peace process and the positions of the new government in Israel regarding a two-state solution.

The Obama administration is expecting a clash with Netanyahu over his refusal to support the establishment of a Palestinian state alongside Israel.

U.S. officials say they will wait and hear Netanyahu's position from the prime minister himself when he meets Obama in Washington next month.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Ok now this is fairly surprising.

But you know what, I don't think Netanyahu and Obama are as against each other as they appear to be, this can all be a sharade.

Like Jesse Ventura said, politics is like wrestling, everyone is an adversary but they are all friends in the locker room.

We'll see how this plays out, but at the very least it's good news even if it's a sharade.

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Yep, the analogy of wrestling is probably close to the truth.

I doubt america will do anything against the 51st state of america. That says it all.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

www.haaretz.com

The Obama administration is expecting a clash with Netanyahu over his refusal to support the establishment of a Palestinian state alongside Israel.

Yeah, god forbid the Palestinians get the same rights of state that Israel do. If these types of attitudes don't scream Israeli Racism/Elitism, nothing will. What more does one need? They openly admit that other people are less and therefore deserve less. Kinda anti-semitic really!

IRM

[edit on 8/4/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this more of the same from the US?

The message that administration officials have relayed to the congressmen is that President Obama is committed to the security of Israel and intends to continue the military assistance agreement that was signed by his predecessor, George W. Bush.

However, Obama considers the two-state solution central to his Middle East policy, as he reiterated during a speech in Turkey on Monday, and he intends to ask that Netanyahu fulfill all the commitments made by previous governments in Israel: accepting the principle of a Palestinian state; freezing settlement activity; evacuating illegal outposts; and providing economic and security assistance to the Palestinian Authority.
op's source

as far as i can tell they're just warning isreal that the new president won't be any more of a zionist looney supporter than the bush admin, get's a big "meh" from me.

as a matter of fact, the idea that the obama admin expect to clash with isreal because the new isreali government is worse than the last one is deeply worrying.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
hmmmm

in the end times, all nations will be against Israel.

Perhaps this is the start . . .

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Yeah, god forbid the Palestinians get the same rights of state that Israel do. If these types of attitudes don't scream Israeli Racism/Elitism, nothing will. What more does one need? They openly admit that other people are less and therefore deserve less. Kinda anti-semitic really!

You sir, apparently, have no clue to what you have asserted.
You, as with others in this thread, continue to twist and distort exactly what Netanyahu meant, but since the vast majority of the media is pro-Palestinian, that is expected, huh?

Benjamin Netanyahu supports the creation of a Palestinian state in principle, UN Middle East envoy Tony Blair told reporters Monday after meeting with the Israeli prime minister.....Netanyahu has avoided labeling the creation of a Palestinian state Israel's only option, but has expressed commitment to the road map plan, which aims at the creation of such a state. The plan calls on the PA to fight terrorism.

"Blair: Netanyahu Supports Palestinian State in Principle"

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Sorry I dont buy it. Bush also said he wanted a two state solution and Clinton and Bush and Reagan I mean its a broken record. How can Obama take on Israel when a bunch of people in his cabinet are either Jewish or Israeli duals....

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Seekerof

If the vast majority of the media is pro-Palestinian why is it that many still assume Hamas does not recognise the state of Israel when they have repeatedly shown they do - albeit under the '67 borders?

The vast majority of the media is pro-Israeli, they don't even distinguish between the main political party of Hamas and their militant wing or report the IDF's crimes against humanity to the wider world (on the whole).

Anyway, I don't see much truth in the article - the only way I could see confrontation happening is if the US stopped giving billions in aid to Israel every year... and that 'aint gonna happen.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief
reply to post by Seekerof

If the vast majority of the media is pro-Palestinian why is it that many still assume Hamas does not recognise the state of Israel when they have repeatedly shown they do - albeit under the '67 borders?

The vast majority of the media is pro-Israeli

What?

What pro-Palestinian mainstream media or internet source you been reading? Simple: because Hamas has not nor will it ever recognize the state of Israel. Simple Google search would be in order:

www.google.com...

www.google.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
You, as with others in this thread, continue to twist and distort exactly what Netanyahu meant, but since the vast majority of the media is pro-Palestinian, that is expected, huh?

Benjamin Netanyahu supports the creation of a Palestinian state in principle, UN Middle East envoy Tony Blair told reporters Monday after meeting with the Israeli prime minister.....Netanyahu has avoided labeling the creation of a Palestinian state Israel's only option, but has expressed commitment to the road map plan, which aims at the creation of such a state. The plan calls on the PA to fight terrorism.

"Blair: Netanyahu Supports Palestinian State in Principle"

Okay I read your article and it sure appears easy to understand IMHO.

In the cited text you provided I added highlights to show you what I am talking about. Netanyahu 'says' he is for the creation of a Palestinian state, he is even willing to be part of a 'process' that leads to it, but he has not singed on as of yet. IMHO it is a Ya-hoo horse and pony show.

Some other quotes from your source that help demonstrate how Netanyahu is willing to participate but only if unnamed conditions are met:

Netanyahu would agree to give up Judea and Samaria to a Palestinian state "if the right context can be created," he added.

Netanyahu has avoided labeling the creation of a Palestinian state Israel's only option, but has expressed commitment to the road map plan, which aims at the creation of such a state. The plan calls on the PA to fight terrorism.

Last week, Netanyahu said Palestinians "should have the ability to govern their lives, but not to threaten ours."

And this is coming out of the 'Jewish News" not exactly an un-biased source.

My opinion is that the creation of a two state solution is the only way to create peace in the region. I am also holding out hope that Obama is truly serious about trying to make it happen. I am especially happy he plans to force Israel to do what they are unwilling to do.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof... the vast majority of the media is pro-Palestinian...

Has it then become pro-Palestinian to simply refuse to indemnify Israel of all of their abuses? Because that is where the media is going, oh so very slowly. It does the Jewish people absolutely no good for the Israeli government to get a free pass. Everybody is starting to wake up to that...except, it seems, the government of Israel.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
Netanyahu would agree to give up Judea and Samaria to a Palestinian state "if the right context can be created," he added.

Do you actually understand the conditions that Israel has repeatedly and long demanded of and from the PA? Do you know what was meant by "the right context"? The cycle of violence and 'eye for an eye' mentality must stop, from both sides.

Netanyahu has avoided labeling the creation of a Palestinian state Israel's only option, but has expressed commitment to the road map plan, which aims at the creation of such a state. The plan calls on the PA to fight terrorism.

Tada.
Hey, if the Palestinians cannot get a grip on its on militant groups, who continue to act against Israel, what makes anyone with any sense think the PA will be able to stop those acts against Israel AFTER the creation of a Palestinian state?

Last week, Netanyahu said Palestinians "should have the ability to govern their lives, but not to threaten ours."

Read what I just said above.

And this is coming out of the 'Jewish News" not exactly an un-biased source.

Which "un-baised" source would you accept? MSNBC? The Huffington Post? NBC? The New York Times? Spare me the "source" argument.

My opinion is that the creation of a two state solution is the only way to create peace in the region. I am also holding out hope that Obama is truly serious about trying to make it happen. I am especially happy he plans to force Israel to do what they are unwilling to do.

Question: Can you absolutely be sure that the cycle of violence will stop once a Palestinian state is created? Your hopes in Team Obama are your own, but I personally will not hold my breath. Both sides have valid concerns and arguments against each other, and be assured, until those concerns and arguments are addressed in their entirety, there will be no state creation or an end to the cycle of violence.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief
the only way I could see confrontation happening is if the US stopped giving billions in aid to Israel every year...

Why? Do the west owe Israel money? Are they poor like the Palestinians? Or do they just live off handouts...? Perhaps they should spend a bit less on things like phosphorus bombing?

IRM

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Has it then become pro-Palestinian to simply refuse to indemnify Israel of all of their abuses?

Israel is not perfect; no state is perfect.
As such, be sure that when you assert and then condemn those Israeli "abuses," you do likewise in condemning the "abuses" committed by the Palestinians, Hamas, etc., etc., etc, kkthx. Its called objectivity or on these boards: deny ignorance.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

terrorism.
Which "un-baised" source would you accept? MSNBC? The Huffington Post? NBC? The New York Times? Spare me the "source" argument.

Excuse me but you started the "Source" argument! Need we direct you to one of your previous posts? .. I guess so!

What?

What pro-Palestinian mainstream media or internet source you been reading? Simple: because Hamas has not nor will it ever recognize the state of Israel. Simple Google search would be in order:

www.google.com...

www.google.com...

Can you say "Denial"?

IRM

[edit on 8/4/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Not targetting anyone, just a general observation...
Using smileys laughing in a debate does not add to your argument, in fact i consider it cheap
use logic, source links, history and such tools to add to your argument not smileys
smileys should be banned from breaking alternative, that's for BTS

Anyhow, the media is not pro-palestine that's insanity!

When 911 happened the media showed some palestine people dancing in the streets
when that poundage of Gaza happened they didn't show the many israelies dancing on the streets

I really do not know how anyone could possibly think that the media isn't pro-israel
Media is owned by zionists as the american govt.

The media speaks of how much money is sent to palestine but NEVER how much is sent to Israel
israel has national healthcare and America owes them so much borrowed money

Why is a nation in debt throwing so much free money at it's creditor(bank).
That's crazy

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Started, nah, you simply mis-interpreted.
I stated a fact--the vast majority of the mainstream media and internet news sourcings are pro-Palestinian. You are the one denying it and then resorted to the "Jewish News" bit.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
if there is "confrontation" with israeli leaders, expect some "dirt" to be dug up on Obama administration members or Obama himself through the israeli lobby. Political assassination is their specialty.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Oh, just some lying pro-Palestinian Jewish newspapers...

www.haaretz.com...

www.haaretz.com...

You're right, a google search will show everything:

(Will Hamas ever recognise Israel as a state?)

If Israel is ready to tell the people what is the official border, after that we are going to answer this question.

Mahmoud al-Zahar, telling CNN ‘long-term truce’ possible if Israel withdraws to pre-1967 borders and releases Palestinian prisoners.

Nah, of course Hamas and the Palestinian people don't want peace, a fair system and equality... they only want to see Israel destroyed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join