It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth is doomed, so what is the plan?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

With respect Merigold, I'm not looking to make myself feel better. I cannot seem to get my head around the idea that there is Scientific evidence being presented:

IPCC summary report

The the Earth is in trouble. Or perhaps not the Earth? Perhaps it is merely our survival on the planet that is in jeopardy.

There is a distinct apathy towards concerning ourselves with climate change. The media has thrashed us to death blaming global warming for every storm, every dry spell, every puff of wind.

Becoming apathetic to a problem doesn't make it disappear.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by azurecara

Perhaps you aren't looking to make yourself feel better, but the vast majority of people are just trying to expunge themselves of guilt.

They feel guilty because whilst they are recycyling their aluminum cans some poor person in "fill in the blank" third world hell hole is walking five miles for a drink of water. They feel guilty because they can chat on their cell phones while surfing the net to spend their money on more useless crap, whilst some poor person in a third world hell hole is dying of dysentry. We in the west have a collective guilt complex about the rest of the world, but we are too lazy or too wrapped up in our meaningless miseries to do something about it. But hey, we can recycle. We CAN do our part and buy shirts which were sewed by three year olds for a dollar a day.

We could trade links all day which proves or dispproves human caused global warming. I don't dispute climate change, I dispute that we are the ones causing it. There are good scientists on both sides of the debate, and a debate it is, despite media mainly portraying it as a fact. But it's a convenient tool to keep the populace consuming without feeling too guilty about it. It makes people feel better to think they are "saving the planet"

Saving the planet just allows us to keep destroying humanity without feeling bad about it.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

That's an interesting angle I hadn't thought of before. The pyschology behind the general apathy of westernised civilisation.

Would it be fair to say then, based on the premise that regardless of the source, that Global Warming is a reality; that the only way to constructively form a cohesive majority to take some kind of responsibility to either mitigating the destructive effects of a natural phenomena OR curbing and/or curing an unnatural phenomena; would be find a way to motivate a massive public outcry?

The first step would be investigation and confirmation of the actuality of global warming.
The second step would be to communicate said results clearly to all.

These steps appear to have already been taken, with limited success.

The third step would then be to isolate the areas of immediate concern. Which appears to be happening with speculation on how global warming will be affecting our immediate environments in the coming years.

What steps do we take beyond this point? Where do we go from here?

Is it public opinion that is the motivating factor to change in our society?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 5thElement

What are the problems with human race ?

We take ourselves too seriously...

I'm not sure that we can save ourselves. Maybe we should party more and worry less

We do take ourselves too seriously & i think the ego is another problem with humanity.

Partying more sounds good, maybe an end of days festival or something, 1st one 21/12/2012

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I'm all for the partying!

However I'm not too sure that would address the problems of an ambivilant general populace. Distract them sure!

Distract the population with enough entertainment to prevent them from becoming too bored - I think this would be a very useful technique to keep the sleeping giant happy. By that I mean the everyday people who go to work 30-50 hours a week.

I've been thinking more and more about this, and although I can see how a large concerted public effort would make a huge difference with pollution - I cannot conceive of how to maintain this effort beyond a year or two. People get bored. People appear to want their creature comforts. People may get so overworked, and overstressed, they lose their ability to care beyond the moment. This creates more apathy.

What then becomes the problem? Is pollution a symptom of much larger social problems?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The Earth has been around millions and millions of years. It's been through every catastrophe known to man..... including floods, freezes and fires......and several others that I won't even get into.........

The whole save the earth stuff is crap. Don't buy it for a sec...

Just another way of scaring you. Consuming you. Giving a false sense of security.....Annnnnnnd to tax u on carbon laws.

Look deeper.

And exaclty as posted above.....the earth isn't going anywhere.....WE ARE!

Cheers tho.!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

The 1st problem is we will not open our minds enough as a world and are troubled by triviality.
The 2nd problem is looking elsewhere for a solution instead of looking within.
The 3rd problem lies within lack of unity among the people to take action because of number 1 and 2.

That is what they want. That is how it has been created. The problem is that most people are looking to someone else for a resolution or expect our government to clean this mess up. That is sadly what they want and with us looking to them for help they initiate the next step into a NWO.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Should we give up? Resign ourselves to our doom? Are we even worth saving if our self-interest has reached such monumental proportions that we have an utter lack of regard for - future generations? Other people's misery? Destruction of the ecosystems? Someone outside of ourselves?

I'm not waving a flag saying we are all going to die. However if anybody wishes to point a finger at something and say Consipiracy!! I'm feeling plenty suspicious about the lack of interest.

Imagine an official media person come right out with official sounding reports and evidence, etc, etc, that.... Aliens have landed and made contact with our government.

Let me ask this, how long before the furor dies down? If there is no immediate change to your life because of this information is it slowly disregarded, like yesterdays hottest headline usually is? Is this a natural social condition of the human species or have we been trained to gasp and be outraged and horrified, until something else grabs our attention?

To me the possiblity that the human race may have affected the global environment to the point of no-return (which is being discussed as a possibility), that is, to say the least Concerning!! I have waited around for the follow-up, any kind of real follow-up to this and there is nothing?? I'm sorry but recycle your rubbish (which I do) doesn't strike me as a global solution. Be Green?? Yup all good, but is it Enough??

Ok and here's the other problem. The Earth has been around for millions of years, so they tell me. It's been hit by asteroids and there have been floods, ice-ages, etc. And so far? It's still 'breathing'. So okay. Perhaps the world being on the edge of imminent collapse is a bit far-fetched. However our environment is changing, and at an accelerated rate. If it changes too drastically we are not equipped to surivive through it. It will be a case of natural selection gone rampant.

So perhaps the apathy isn't some great conspiracy. Perhaps it's an instinct that we have over-populated this planet and "something" needs to happen to reduce our unsupportable population mass to more sustainable levels.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

the "alien" crop circles are warnings, and schematics in one. We need to build resonant zero point antigrav pods fr as many as possible, because im gussing earths surface will be asteroidaly or war wise- decimated. Im guessing any alien contact wold be made after that point, maybe there is a hollow earth? Maybe our future will see it one day, or mars. either way we would survive, and have technology, and be able traverse space, perhaps figure out time?

[edit on 9-4-2009 by mastermind77]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join