It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive UFO; my experience with invisibility

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I am over-awed that you would dain to acknowledge my humble posts. And please do try to pick them apart. I collect such thinking.

Perhaps a thread on the Phoenix Flares would be interesting.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Nablator – thanks for the links and info. But as you suggest, I think an eclipse is just out of the question. I would think an eclipse would cause everywhere to go in a shadow, and not create a relatively small, definable, localized shadow; not to mention the speed of it. Plus it would have been in the news. I still haven’t pinned down the close time of it though, I will have to email a couple of people to do that and I have not done so yet.

If it could be assumed that the distance to the horizon at my rough eye-level was about 5 miles, and again roughly, the shadow travelled this distance to the horizon before disappearing in say 1 second (and with 3600 seconds in an hour) then a very, very rough speed of the object that caused the shadow comes to 18,000 miles an hour. Mathematics is not my strong suite so I may be mistaken.

But I looked it up – comets travel as fast as 150,000 mph, and the slowest asteroid travels at 25,000 mph. Given my unscientific take on the speed of the shadow, it is almost plausible the speed of the shadow may have been similar to a slow moving asteroid. But I am not comfortable with this explanation at all, as again, for something to make a shadow on the ground of the size we saw, it surely would have to be closer to earth, as opposed to closer to the sun. If it was close to earth, it surely would have been in the news, or even entered our atmosphere and been well documented.

To all others who have replied – thanks for your input and welcome your take on things.

I am all for considering the mundane, as some have suggested. But to be frank, there is, or has yet to be, any mundane explanation over the past few years of what it was. The closest to ‘mundane’ really is an asteroid, or a satellite. But these don’t really compute with the reality of what happened – I am sure many of you have seen satellites at night moving across the sky, and they appear to the naked eye like a small star moving slowly (even though no doubt they are travelling incredibly fast). I doubt something of this size could make such a shadow, but…I do not deny this is what it could have been, if someone was to confirm a shadow of this size could be made from an object at satellite distance, size and speed. Same with asteroids.

As for weather? Gawdzilla, I have similar experience and knowledge in weather to you, only much of my time was spent in, or on, the water…and often in the exact locale of where the shadow occurred. I appreciate the respect you have for the wind and sea, and I can only concur and echo I have similar respect. Perhaps with your experience you could suggest a believable weather phenomenon that could cause such a shadow? I can’t.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloudbreak
Nablator – thanks for the links and info. But as you suggest, I think an eclipse is just out of the question. I would think an eclipse would cause everywhere to go in a shadow, and not create a relatively small, definable, localized shadow; not to mention the speed of it.

I suspected it was a silly idea, but I wanted to know your reasoning. I agree.

If it could be assumed that the distance to the horizon at my rough eye-level was about 5 miles, and again roughly, the shadow travelled this distance to the horizon before disappearing in say 1 second (and with 3600 seconds in an hour) then a very, very rough speed of the object that caused the shadow comes to 18,000 miles an hour. Mathematics is not my strong suite so I may be mistaken.

The size is more interesting than the speed. Speed is not a problem.

But I looked it up – comets travel as fast as 150,000 mph, and the slowest asteroid travels at 25,000 mph. Given my unscientific take on the speed of the shadow, it is almost plausible the speed of the shadow may have been similar to a slow moving asteroid.

The only problem is size / distance. To eclipse entirely the Sun, the object must be either huge or close.

But I am not comfortable with this explanation at all, as again, for something to make a shadow on the ground of the size we saw, it surely would have to be closer to earth, as opposed to closer to the sun.

True, I'll do more calculations based on the assumptions that the Sun was full eclipsed (total solar eclipse, or near total) since the sky went very dark. I assumed earlier that the size of the cone of total darkness at ground level is 1 km, it is probably much smaller than that, if I understand you correctly.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudbreak

"As for weather? Gawdzilla, I have similar experience and knowledge in weather to you, only much of my time was spent in, or on, the water…and often in the exact locale of where the shadow occurred. I appreciate the respect you have for the wind and sea, and I can only concur and echo I have similar respect. Perhaps with your experience you could suggest a believable weather phenomenon that could cause such a shadow? I can’t."

As I mentioned, I spent 20 years in the USN, so a fair bit of my weather experience was on the water as well.
As for the exact phenomenon described, I admit I'm no meteorologist. However, have you consulted with one about this? Or more than one? UCSD would also be a good place to inquire.

cdi

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

cloudbreak
the invisibility you talk about is in my experience doable for nut and bolt systems. i have studied anomolies all my life from being a small kid and now i am hitting forty. in the mid ninties myself and a group of friends were chilling out on a beach in the n.w. of england between a number of commercial and military nuclear installations. it was summer and the sun was setting. an uneasy feeling descended upon us all, i looked up and saw the outline of something above. pointing to what i saw the others noticed it as well. if it was not for the subtle way the background fluffy clouds above were moving we probably would not have seen it. as we studied it, it became apparent that the object was a streched out triangle moving at slow speed above. this thing looked like it was made of perspex and as it moved the clouds above it showed the edges and facets in a very subtle way. it shone a beam down on all of us for a few seconds and then went on its way. after many years of research both before and after this event i came to the personal conclusion that this was a terrestrial man made craft. the reason why? i have seen the non human craft and they have a far better way of blending in.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by cdi

"stretched out triangle". What was before triangles became chic? Circular?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I saw another thread talking about stuff pretty similar. UFOs cloaking and such.

Here it is:

Reason we don't see more UFOs

I think it is interesting to consider.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I had something like this happen to me, a few years ago, I was leaning on my girlfriends garden wall overlooking acres of flat fields, dusk was just setting in, and it was nice and calm, then all over a sudden this huge shadow went over me, going out towards the fields, it was unreal like a faint shadow couldnt see any outline, no sound, or lights, it went really fast and seem quite low yet, it was a faint shadow.

Something like this is very hard to explain, so only ever told my partner about it.

But it is something I will never forget, even the air seemed eerie afterwards.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
the same thing happened to me with a difference, i was in my car heading home when i looked up and saw something triangular against the sky camoflagued, it came out of the sky solid black with three violet lights at the tips, it followed me for some time i stopped in a layby where some trees stood about 5 metres away where it hovered, i got out of the car to see if the triangular craft made any noise to my astonishment it didn't,
i got into my car and drove about 50 miles an hour it was going as fast i was, everytime i would go faster it would match my speed i got about a mile to my house when it sped off into the night sky

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Invisibility yes. That's a nice one.

What you could have seen was hot air, but then again , that would be very uninteresting. Also, it is in a bit of weird place.
Being me off course, I could never experiance that since I can't look up when the sun is shining. And yes, unfortunatly my eyes really do hurt in bright sun light.

Leaving that aside. Let's assume you did see something and it really was invisible. Would make sense, you can't be seen and if you where alien or top-secret then you would not like to be seen. Makes one wonder about the air vibrations, right?

Anyhoo's there are four general ways to reach invisibility and I'll name them in accordance of difficulty stating from easy to hard.

1) This one will sound cheap. Being invisible in plain sight. Meaning that you pose as something from the ordinary. A soldier in camosuit, a predatorial animal in it's natural habitat, an agent on a espionage mission or an alien spaceship stuck in afternoons traffic in New York city. Lame as it is, it does pose as invisible since you can't see it.

2) Invisible by bending light. The dudes in the US are really good in doing this using fiber optic cables. (given, by now they are no longer like the regular fiber optics that are being plowed into the ground). The basic principle is easy, guide light from one point to the other. More or less weaving the light from the surrounding around an object making it invisible. This works, but is not perfect. The eye does not let itself fool, objects in the background are jumpy and you can see it is slightly distorted, also how bigger the 'cloacked' object how bigger the distortion.

3) Invisible by breaking the light. Breaking the light means no reflection. Much like breaking radiowave with that exception that light is not sheer radiowaves. It is better then bending the light in that aspect that the field of optical detection is much smaller. But a focused eye can see the absence of light.

4) Dimentional shifting. The universe is like an union that is centerless. Shifting through layers of the union can make you invisible in one layer, or transparent if you are in a layer close to the observers one. You will however be visible in other dimentions you are in at that time.

One is being used in everyday lifes. Two and three fit what you have seen. Four, wel let's say four is reserved for a small elite.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Nablator – yeah it could well have been less than 1km, certainly lengthwise it would have been less, but hard to judge the left-to-right aspect of the shadow.

CDI – yes I too believe invisibility is quite doable. I just read the thread purpledragon provided, which has some good info on it and perspectives; basically saying one reason why people don’t see more UFOs is because of a possible ability to cloak.

What you saw, as well as what Colz2000 and jellyman saw, sound similar – the ability to move stealthily has always been a goal of military craft, so I don’t see why genuine UFOs would be any different.

Ancientshade, it does indeed sound like your option 2 or 3 could be a cause, and interesting to see the real-life present capabilities to make things invisible. I had heard about some Japanese scientists working on invisible cloth, and there seems to be quite a lot of information on the topic – this guy has been working on one way of making things invisible; still rudimentary but it was over 5 years ago.

If you consider that scientists have been working on invisibility for years, and inventors such as that guy (picture below) have almost working prototypes of ways to make things appear invisible, it wouldn’t be a big leap to invisibility for real by advanced technology either within the military or by an advanced alien race.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by cloudbreak]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Invisibility is science fiction. The picture is an illustration, not a real technology. Working prototypes display on lcd screens embedded in clothes the ambient color seen on the other side. It wouldn't fool anyone in a city or any open, brightly lit environment. In a jungle it could be useful. New materials with a negative refraction index would only work with a specific wavelength, so invisibility in daylight is still impossible.

In the case of your huge shadow there is no need for any such technology. A dark object high in the atmosphere is totally invisible in the blue sky because of Rayleigh light scattering in the distance. Such an object can only be seen with the naked eye or a telescope when it eclipses lights in the background, stars, Sun or Moon. On the other hand the military radars are tracking all objects in orbit about four inches in diameter, roughly the size of a baseball, or larger.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   

That's child's play. You wont find what you're looking for

The technology you're interested in is top secret.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join