It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On mind, it's effects on reality, and the possibility of magick...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
O.k., i read a little while ago about an experiment that was done by some researchers. It involved shooting a single photon through a wave guide and into a detector. When people were observing the experiment the photon came out as a particle. When people were not observing it it came out as a wave. So in essence the very act of examining the universe around us changes it. If this small thing is happening it proves reality is in the eye of the beholder truly. But, this also leads the way to other still more startling possibilities. If observing thing changes the reality does speaking things do it also and to what degree? And yes, I'm talking about magick... It just seems to me that this is a very possible theory. Not t o mention i have had experiences in the past that lead me to believe this could be possible. Anyways what do you all think?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Yes when someone speaks their words can possess magic, if by magic you mean some form of change that you would like to see. Words are just different frequencies of vibrating air molecules. If you yell at the top of a mountain, an avalanche occurs, when a baby cries, mother occurs, when a singer sings, dancing occurs, when a negotiator negotiates, handshake occurrs, when a teacher teaches, thought occurs. Never forget the magic that can be found in everyday things. As far as actually controlling quantum states conciously, to some ends that is actually helpful to you, ask a genius cause i would not know where to begin.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
TY, The sound idea is a good one and i do believe that is pssible. Any other thoughts out there? Can we influence reality? Can we do magick? How could it be performed? Anyone think they've done something like this? Either accidentally or on purpose?

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Mari4199

You might like to look at a DVD called "What the Bleep Do We Know?, Down the Rabbit Hole" - it explores this entire subject in great detail, and is one of the best videos ever made on this subject.

Part 1 (Other parts watchable via youtube related videos pane)

[edit on 13-4-2009 by raiden12]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I believe the reason the change occurred between wave / non-wave was debunked a long time ago. But I forgot where it was, I'll check if I can find it again.

If I remember correctly though, it had to do with the presence of an object close to the photon, rather than the observing itself. (Like shooting a bullet at an object, then shooting a bullet at an object with 1000 magnets on the side, it will change course slightly, even though the magnets aren't actually touching the bullet.)

Of course I need to back up my claims so I'll be searching for the places I read this at.

Also: "What the bleep do we know" is kinda funny in some ways, but also utter crap in other ways. Like the whole story about ''not seeing ships because they had never seen them before''. (Which is a complete load of bull.)

[edit on 13/4/09 by -0mega-]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by raiden12

What the bleep is a brilliant movie. It's what got me interested in philosophy and meta-physics in the first place.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Well, the main reason i posted this subject is i have experienced some very unusual things in my life that fly in the face of conventional reality. I'd like to hear other peoples opinions and ideas. Now, i will say that no matter what anyone says to me i am always going t hold the view that reality is not what it seems and there are things we do not know. Simply because of what i've experienced. I'm going to post one of those experiences as a thread soon. As per our mind affecting our surroundings i truly believe this is also possible, again, by my own personal experiences. But, as others have probably found in their lives the more you try to prove something of this nature the more obfuscated it becomes.
I wish i remembered that experiments name though, for the life of me i haven't been able to find it. And if the particle as being redirected by another particle or such id like to know the particle that did it coincidently on time with the experiment. Hmmm?
But anyways, I always go by two contradicting statements in my life. They are as follows and i think both apply...

Anything is possible.
Nothing is absolute.

Also. yes i know there is no scientific evidence to support my theory in any concrete way but then again we do not know enough science to measure reality and judge how it behaves. That strikes me as shear hubris.

Oh and thanks everyone for posting this is my ( first ) thread here and it is very neat i think to be able to discuss these things with other enlightened individuals.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Mari4199]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Haven't We Got Enought Threads Like This Already?

This forum is crammed with threads on how, according to some hilariously misunderstood scientific theory, mind can influence matter and everybody's wishes can come true. They're always the same: references to cargo-cult quantum mechanics, eulogies for a moronic space-cadet film called What the Bleep Do We Know? and people posting about their chakras and near-death experiences.

Here are a few more, all from this forum:

Consensus Reality, Quantum Physics and Magick

How the Law of Attraction Works

The Law of Attraction for Hardheads

Enforced Logic - Reality and 'Magic'

Anything is possible

Moderators, do we really need another thread full of the same nonsense? Don't we have enough of them already?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

"Haven't We Got Enough Threads Like This Already?"

I am so glad Astyanax you are the sole judge of how many threads we should have of this nature. I will make sure to take note of exactly how many threads there are like this on ATS and ask to have them promptly removed because you think they are unworthy. ( Sarcasm ).

"This forum is crammed with threads on how, according to some hilariously misunderstood scientific theory, mind can influence matter and everybody's wishes can come true."

Also i am sooooo elated that i have come across someone who knows EVERYTHING about the universe and the mind. Please, tell me the truth and how everything works and i wouold be so grateful. ( more sarcasm ).

"They're always the same: references to cargo-cult quantum mechanics, eulogies for a moronic space-cadet film called What the Bleep Do We Know? and people posting about their chakras and near-death experiences."

And even if you do not agree with something does not make your view the right one. I am very bothered by the attitude some people have that if something does not agree with their belief system then it should be removed. Inquisition anyone? Hmmm? Oh heck, since Astyanax knows everything we should do away with the whole ATS site and rename it Astyanax Top Secret. If we have a question all we need do is ask his emminence what the answer is and go back to our daily lives knowing that whatever he says is right. ( Even more sarcasm ).

"Moderators, do we really need another thread full of the same nonsense? Don't we have enough of them already?"

Oh wait, The mighty Astyanax asking for something to be done that he can't do?! My faith is broken. The one who knows all has shown he is not the creator of the universe and does not know everything. Woe is me. I shall have to go home and cut my throat with a rust butter knife.
( You get the picture. ).

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
I believe the reason the change occurred between wave / non-wave was debunked a long time ago. But I forgot where it was, I'll check if I can find it again.

If I remember correctly though, it had to do with the presence of an object close to the photon, rather than the observing itself. (Like shooting a bullet at an object, then shooting a bullet at an object with 1000 magnets on the side, it will change course slightly, even though the magnets aren't actually touching the bullet.)

Of course I need to back up my claims so I'll be searching for the places I read this at.

Also: "What the bleep do we know" is kinda funny in some ways, but also utter crap in other ways. Like the whole story about ''not seeing ships because they had never seen them before''. (Which is a complete load of bull.)

[edit on 13/4/09 by -0mega-]

The comment about not seeing ships. It's very real. I went over this in depth in another thread but ill briefly repeat it.

The story the comment is based on, refers to Columubus' ships on the ocean before reaching the new land. The natives looked out on the ocean, and could not see the ships, since they had never seen a ship anywhere near that size or composition. Thus, when they looked out on the ocean they could only see a disturbance on the waves, but they didn't understand exactly what was going on.

This is a very real phenomenon, and I guarantee you yourself have experienced it at least once in your life.

I most commonly experience it while driving down a dark road late at night. As I go down the road, up ahead I may see what appears to be a human or an animal on the side of the road. In reality, what I am seeing is maybe a garbage can, a mailbox, or a road sign.

But since my eyes do not have a clear picture of what I am actually seeing, they put what logically fits in its place. They "guess" for lack of better term, filling in the blanks to build a picture your brain can recognize.

But, as you get closer, your eyes gather more and more information, until you can see it perfectly, and suddenly it becomes clear it was not a person or an animal, it was just a sign, mailbox, etc.

How that phenomenon relates to your comment is that now imagine on that same road, someone has placed something near the side of the road. Something that does not belong there. Such as a piece of machinery.

In this case, your eyes are trying to figure out what they are seeing, but because the object does not belong where it is, you will end up having to get even closer to the object before it becomes clear that it is a piece of machinery, or something else that would be out of the ordinary for the side of that road.

Furthermore, now replace that out of place object with something you have NEVER seen in your life, something you do not know exists, something that you just couldn't grasp.

You drive down the road, and now your eyes are scrambling to make sense of what it sees, until you are stopped right infront of the thing, going what the hell? Well, that was the natives experienced. And I hope since I took this long to re-explain this very common phenomenon, you understand why your comment was not correct.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by king9072]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
King9072, thanks for your post it does put this into a perspective we can associate with, i think a lot of people miss these thing's even though they are right infront of them.

The power of the way we percieve the world is enormous, i stumbled upon this article today which i found fascinating.

www.newsweek.com...

More and more information is coming out now from various sources about the way our lives play out depending on the way we perceive the world.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This is what David Icke talk lengths with the guys at
project camelot here:

www.projectcamelot.org...

Very eye opener....

top topics

join