It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Everyone On ATS Fine? I Notice High Decrease In Activity

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
ATS always has always gone through these swings.

When you first find ATS, you are excited and overwhelmed with the amount of information available. Eventually you begin to get a feel for the kind of topics you like and dislike. When this happens you narrow your base, which can result in thinking that there are less interesting threads available.

Furthermore, as members come and go, and as events pass, certain topics fluctuate in activity. If those happen to be your favorite topics, you may get a little bored.

Finally, as the number of posts rises, the ratio of quality threads to ‘generic’ threads decreases, thus giving the impression that there are less quality posts. The answer is either to decrease the number of generic posts by contributing something worth value, change your perspective on such threads, or look harder for threads of interest. If you can’t do any of those things, perhaps it’s time to take a break; when you come back, you’ll be amazed at what you missed.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by nerbot
I presume the wonderful statistics Skeptic Overlord has so kindly quoted (as usual) point toward a growing trend of quantity over quality.

Why would you presume that?

The growing trend for short replies, including "one-liners" and the increase in stupid threads that start with a pointless question, statement or a rediculous or even absent point of view is obvious. Couple this with the abundance of duplicate threads that are left open (breaking news etc) and there's plenty of posting quantity promoted.

One liners should be curbed to promote fewer but more constructive contributions. Duplicate stories should be closed/deleted to prevent dilution from the overall content source, (more info in ONE place).

10 decent threads with 100 sensible and constructive replies doesn't make as much money as 100 pointless threads with 1000 stupid and ignorant replies.....ching-ching!

We (staff) have no control over the content... you (members) do. Everyone complains about the weather, but no one does anything about it.

Ever heard of an umbrella or air-conditioning?

You DO have control...

WHO has the power to moderate and discourage "one-liners"?

WHO has the power to DELETE a duplicate thread and channel imput into the original/earlier source?

WHO has the power to CLOSE a duplicate thread and redirect members to the original/earlier thread?

WHO has the power to actively promote the use of THE ATS SEARCH ENGINE better, especially for new posters, and negate the multitude of duplicate threads in the first place?

WHO has the power to ensure that members contribute something of value rather than rubbish by actively and consistently promoting a "Mission Statement" about QUALITY?

WHO has the power to ensure that there's enough moderators and that they are acting fairly, frequently and in the interests of ALL?

WHO decides which direction this site goes in and the reasons for those evolutions?

And on a side-note...

To decrease overall load on our servers

I thought you'd just spent a big "wad" on super-dooper new ones hence the recent media and upload changes. Does the recent post function use such a huge amount of those resourses?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The higher quality content IS dissappearing and to only blame members or try to refute the fact shows your lack of concern and where your priorities lie.

Not enough emphasis is given towards high quality content contribution when a new member signs up....they often wade straight in with innocent intentions only to fall victim to the opposite of the site's motto.

Deny Ignorance....PLEEEEEASE Mr Overlord, if you want members like me to return to stuff of substance within this site and provide content that will offer value and commitment for an enduring future within ATS.....give us reason and a podium that shows your commitment to the CAUSE and not just the business.

Being part of the whole conspiracy theory world can bring enlightenment and pride...advertising, business, targets and projections and the need to pay the bills just provides blinkers towards a finish-line......it's the journey that counts, not the destination, and I for one choose not to run that race being blinded by numbers and statistics.

I wish my travels followed more ATS paths at the moment, but alas, in this maze there's too much litter-dropping and some of the bulbs need changing. Why should I help illuminate what I don't enjoy seeing?

Don't you ever get sick of sweeping those paths, don't you wish the litter didn't get dropped in the first place?
Have you considered educating your travellers better and told them to replace the bulbs as they go or turn up the dimmer switch rather than get out their pocket-torches or stick a new fitting up?

I know we'll probably never be on eachothers "friends" list S.O., but I'm still here.....still trying....and after 2 years....still give a damn! I just need more reason to continue doing it here.

Thankyou.......nerb

86th line

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

and the increase in stupid threads that start with a pointless question, statement or a rediculous or even absent point of view is obvious.

Before I saw your comment here, I had moved such a thread to Chit Chat on BTS. But keep in mind, this is a very big place with lots of people. Is is the case with any large crowd, one person's absurd is another's interesting.

Couple this with the abundance of duplicate threads that are left open

We close these (I usually trash them) as often as we can. Do you have a few examples of duplicates that we missed?

One liners should be curbed to promote fewer but more constructive contributions

Agreed. And "this is a second line" added to short responses should not matter.

However, keep in mind we're very different in that regard... few other forums discourage minimalist responses. Many of the too-short responses are most often posted by new members who may be accustomed to doing that elsewhere. More often than not our staff sends out a U2U to alert the new members to our standards prior to hitting them with 1-liner warns for any subsequent offenses.

You DO have control...

I had assumed your 10/100 comment was in relation to quality contributions... not the previously addressed issue of duplication subjects and 1-liners.

WHO has the power to actively promote the use of THE ATS SEARCH ENGINE better, especially for new posters, and negate the multitude of duplicate threads in the first place?

(Interesting selection of the word "power" in this regard.) Managing a very-large social content community is a balancing act. If we reacted as (apparently) angry as you are to some of these relatively minor offenses, we'd be turning away a lot of people who may have something extraordinary to say.

WHO has the power to ensure that members contribute something of value rather than rubbish by actively and consistently promoting a "Mission Statement" about QUALITY?

We impose no editorial oversight that would define rubbish for our readers. Sorry, that's not our style, we leave it up to members.

WHO decides which direction this site goes in and the reasons for those evolutions?

Members.

And on a side-note...

I thought you'd just spent a big "wad" on super-dooper new ones hence the recent media and upload changes. Does the recent post function use such a huge amount of those resourses?

I sense significant angst. It's been about nine months since our last upgrade. We are currently running the maximum possible configuration for a server cluster running off one database server... which is the next very-signifcant expense down the road for us. But even still, with an average of over 300 queries a second, we always need to review code economy to ensure best performance across the board... that's just prudent application management.

The higher quality content IS dissappearing and to only blame members or try to refute the fact shows your lack of concern and where your priorities lie.

Sorry, but I disagree. There appears to be some underlying issue to your reaction to the potential problem that is reflected in the tone of your response.

Certainly, we are constantly looking at ways to improve the overall quality of the content on ATS. But to suggest that we prefer quantity over quality shows a gross lack of understanding of how traffic finds its way to website domains.

Take a look at the topics that have risen to prominence over the past seven days: www.abovetopsecret.com/thisweek.html, or even go so far as to look at the past 30 days: www.abovetopsecret.com/thismonth.html. Can you, with all honesty, say that there are threads that don't belong there? And don't just rely on knee-jerk reactions to thread titles you might not like... make sure you review the thread beyond the title.

Our ATS Press Corps is one very-recent initiative to create a new mechanism for unique and superior (hopefully) content for ATS members to engage.

We're working on several avenues to bring top-tier videographers who are active in ATS subject area to the site and our new media portal.

We're also getting off the ground with experiments in book reviews of titles in the genre (coming soon).

And as always, the point raised by Thaumaturgus is always exceptionally valid.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
No, everyone on ATS is NOT fine. Personally, I'm quite angry and disturbed, and waiting to be told where I can appropriately sound off about it. (As mad as I am, I haven't had a "warn" yet and don't want to start now).

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

I take it you are mad because the Fight Club Pub thread was moved to BTS? Well, let me tell you that as a regular member I am VERY happy to see that silly chit chat thread gone from the board here at ATS.

People getting 250 point for posting a one liner with a smiley just didn't seem very fair considering how much work some of the regular members put into their posts here at ATS.

So, goodbye FCP and thanks to whoever moved it to the Rant forum in BTS. Best staff move I have seen in a while.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sebarud

Well, you've raised some interesting questions. First of all, I carefully did not say what it was about.

As far as I know, you and I have never had a single interaction so I have to wonder about your off-the-bat negative attitude.

Secondly, there's an unbelievably simple solution for any thread on ATS which has content you don't appreciate - don't read it!

Why should you or anyone else care what is said in the FCP if you aren't a fighter? And how would you even know about some points thing or what happened to the FCP? I didn't know until a few days ago about any points deal.

So now I'm wondering if that's what it was all about. Some disgruntled and jealous members who found it necessary to point fingers and make complaints behind the scenes because certain people had perceived privileges that they didn't have.

Well, you know, all anyone who wanted those so-called privileges had to do was ask, and be willing to give a portion of their time and effort to participate in structured debates.

Hopefully a Mod will soon appear and redirect this conversation to somewhere more appropriate ... which is what I'm waiting for.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

So you didn't notice that you got 250 points every time you posted in the FCP thread? Yeah, right.

And my beef isn't with you personally. As you pointed out, we have never interacted. I am one of those people who read much, much more than I post. That is how I knew about the 250 points, by the way.

And you flatter yourself if you really believe that I am jelaous of your titles or your points. I couldn't care less about your or mine points. I am here to read and learn, not to collect imaginary virtual points. It's not like I can go out and use them to buy a car or a Rolex, see?

What I TRIED to say was that the 250 points for a silly one liner hardly is fair considered all the well researched, well written and presented posts made by regular members who are NOT rewarded in such a way.

It is truly remarkeable that you don't understand how DEEPLY UNFAIR this system is.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sebarud

This is not the right thread for this conversation.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Why not? The title of this thread is "Is Everybody On ATS Fine"...

I just wanted to say that I am very fine with the chit chat FCP thread being moved to BTS. Where it belongs.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sebarud

Since you didn't answer the questions I asked you and instead chose to harp back on the points thing, I'm left with the impression that that is exactly what you care(d) about.

After writing several other things and then having second thoughts and erasing them, I think that's all I'd better have to say for now.

Anyway, OP, thanks for asking. Nice to know someone cares if we're 'fine' or not.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

I answered you. You implied that I was jelaous. I am not. I explained it to you. As I said, I am not a point collector.

I just don't like unfair systems. Not in real life, and not here at ATS. It really is that simple.

Edit to add: Thank you for adding me as a respected foe. But you really didn't have to do it twice. It is quite enough to tell me one time that you respect me.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by sebarud]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heike
Hopefully a Mod will soon appear and redirect this conversation to somewhere more appropriate ... which is what I'm waiting for.

Strange as it may seem, I had given little thought to the "FCP" thread... having long lists of other things to attend to on a daily basis.

However, yesterday a request came through our staff to see if we could diminish the point reward for debate forum posts because of the FCP thread. It wasn't until today that I noticed what was going on... and I was... shall we say "exceptionally disappointed" to see the system designed to reward posts of high-effort being apparently abused. In my "exceptionally disappointed" state, I decided to move the thread to BTS rant.

We're (staff) are discussing the issue, and most likely the debate forum will return to hosting ONLY structured debates.

I apologize for not noticing and more gracefully correcting the situation sooner... but we the situation had gone on far too long.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sebarud

How the heck does someone get 250 points for posting one-liners & smiley faces? I've never heard of such a thing!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sebarud

I accidentally hit the wrong button. I removed it immediately. It took my one "foe" several weeks of badgering me to get on that list, you aren't going to make it today.

I asked why anyone should care what is said in any particular thread. If you don't like a thread, why not just don't read it?

And I asked why anyone who isn't a fighter would follow the FCP, and wondered how you knew so quickly that the FCP had been moved.

You didn't answer either one.

By the way, you don't really want me to start compiling a list of totally worthless posts on other ATS threads, do you? In spite of the one-liner rule, the Mods are rather lenient and a lot of fairly trivial posts get by. Furthermore, how would YOU know whether or not those well-written posts you're referring to are rewarded with applause from Mods?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

SO you know this point thing is on the brink of the ridiculous.

We have all stated unequivocally that we don't care about these cursed points. We neither debate or post on the FCP because of points.

Yet somehow it keeps coming back to that.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

That does not answer several of the questions and concerns that I have.

Since the FCP thread is now closed, where is the appropriate place to ask those questions? In the ATS Issues thread? Or should I u2u you?

Please advise.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Please use this thread for questions ---> Accepting Questions About the Demised of FCP

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

This is getting very tiresome. I knew the FCP thread was moved, and I repeat myself, because I read MUCH, MUCH more than I post. Do you understand now? I saw it was moved because I sometimes take a look at BTS too.

And I have actually read posts in the FCP thread too. It is not like you can tell me what threads I should read or not. I read whatever I like, whenever I like, I click on whatever thread I like. Period.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Being a new member…I could be offended by your comments. In fact, I have not post until now out of respect…so please chose your words a little more carefully in the future, unless this is your ATS!!!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join