It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Everyone On ATS Fine? I Notice High Decrease In Activity

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I try and make new threads, but i'm fairly new and not as informed on some issues as others. Not complaining, just saying, my deal is same as an above message, I read a lot, but feel my post would be a pointless one liner most times. BUT with that being said, I try and post as much as I can, but last few days, I have been less inclined too it seems, not much goin on. This sucks, cause this is what I do at work all day, hahaha and work is dead last few weeks, which is what initially prompted me to join ATS. Maybe we need some sort of world catastrophe, c'mon ppl, get to work!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
As a side note, I find it quite funny that the thread I have found most interesting today is the one about how the forum is dead, Irony!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
...how the forum is dead, Irony!!!

Am I the only one not seeing this? The Recent Posts page barely covers an hour of activity... which means 100 active threads within an hour's period (not 100 posts).

Any time page one of the recent posts page covers and hour of activity, we're smokin' hot... just ask our beleaguered staff!

I'm just not understanding the impression portrayed in this thread.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Actually it just did what I mentioned again.. Is this what people are seeing when they log out?

I clicked recent posts,it had none different,then when I logged in again,the one that had been top of the list 'flight 93 shoot down order' disappeared half way down..

This is giving the impression that no one is posting..

(I'm having a system change so it could be that though) I hate Vista already..

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
Is this what people are seeing when they log out?

To decrease overall load on our servers, the recent posts page seen by those who are not logged-in is different. It's a "semi-static" page that is generated every five minutes. But still... there should be no significant gaps.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
OK This is from my new machine and the last post shown was the answer from Skeptic.. My post didn't show up on here till I logged in with this one too.. I'm confused.

Edit to clarify.. the post two before this one...

SKEPTIC ..Ok 5 minutes..that is understandable

I'll keep a check and log out one machine again to see how long it takes here.

I think this is just my setup problem though,Juding by the OP this is more a theoretical question rather than a technical one..

[edit on 8-4-2009 by AGENT_T]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

OK.. I Gave it ten minutes for a tester..

This machine displays 36 thread topics between my last post and this one.. some of those threads replied to several times.

The other machine displays 22 thread topics..

Logging out gives the impression of a 35%ish drop in posting activity from this rather impromtu(and amateur) test..

Man, I really need to get some work done.. anything for a distraction

Please stop posting interesting stuff on ATS.. I might actually get things finished in time.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I'm not saying that ppl aren't posting , I think the overall feeling is nothing new or exciting has come up the last few days, normaly I "wow" the sheep at my work with ATS stories and facts, but last few days, they are asking whats up, and im like...errr....not much

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

I agree, I think more of the regulars are dissappearing.

And we got the spring break kids.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
BTW Modern, I think it was nice of you to ask.

second line

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Sounding off, just 'cuz. I'm sure you're not missing me.

O-315

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Probably cause theres thread after thread of the same topic!(boring)
Just on the Korean crisis, I counted five on the same exact subject
all right there together! No wonder we are leaving.
People have no creativity anymore and have to rely on the headlies
shown on every other news website. Instead of being cutting edge,
ATS is becoming just another tired old news forum.
Instead of promoting and posting on important subjects, we are more interested in fluff, just like the rest of the country's news propagated and cloned here so often, we have been dumbed down and resigned to the repeated(duplicate)mundane stories of crazies such as octomoms & gundaddies.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Case in point (and I am not saying my threads are super interesting), but I just started one about gemstones and energy, giving an example of it actually working, I think thats interesting, im sure someone else would, but alas, 0 replies. Maybe I should have mentioned John Titor or something in it

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Awesome post! My kind of humor.

I've been doing my bit.
I've tried to average a minimum of 10 posts a day on threads that interest me.
I'm also trying to do the ATS twitter thing.
I'm in and out of here a lot but I have noticed the static threads.
Maybe a slow news week at ATS??

Actually what I have noticed more and more as politics turn more foreboding in the minds of many people, especially here in the United States that anti-government, anti-establishment threads are getting tons of stars and flags but few replies by other people posting their comments to them.

When a thread has 100+ stars and scores and scores of flags but only 6 or 7 members have posted one or two posts to the original post it begs a question?

Do people really have nothing more to add and feel the original post said all there is to say?

Or are people afraid to post and add something fearing that their comments might one day be used against them to prove some standard of treason or sedition?

I worry that the latter is heavily weighing in to some people's reluctance to post on the most provocative and seemingly most popular topics judging by the amounts of stars and flags.

I worry to that as more disconcerting news of Bailouts, Legislation that infringes on Civil Liberties, and events that seem to be declaring an open decleration of the New World Order that these reluctant people will just stop visiting, and reading as well as posting in some fear that it will lead to nothing positive and possibly something negative.

I post and post away and while I readily admitt that if people's worst fears do come true, that in that process I have branded myself as being treasonus or seditious, and it might carry some penalty eventually and even a severe one, morally I feel compelled to take that chance.

Primarily for the reason is that the internet has become the pulse of public oppinion and various orginizations monitor it for that very reason.

I honestly feel if opposition remains high and constant to constitutional errosion, malfeseance in the government and business, that it will tend to intimidate those entities from launching more ambitious plans.

I feel if dissent dissapears or dries up to being just a few 'tin foil hat' types that it would be viewed as an ideal time to launch more ambitious hands.

I actually devote a certain amount of time each day with the same discipline I do towards my regular work to posting and blogging on politically relevant events and feel it's part of my moral duty and obligation as a human being to do so, in the hope that not only will my voice be heard, but all peoples voices will be heard by those monitoring elements that have a vested stake in monitoring public oppinion to recognize and sieze on ideal opportunities and times.

I could be wrong about some or all of this, but it's hard to find anyone at all these days who wouldn't say we are living in crazy and changing and uncertain times.

Keep posting my friend, and doing your part, we might just be making more of a difference than we care or dare to think about in the process.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

Awww

don't feel that way. I am sure you have plenty to add. I know I felt pretty intimated at first too. There are a lot of smarties here.

But you get practise and build confidence by posting. And I think you would be surprised at how encouraging people can be.

And it is fun to get a nice topic going.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox
[more

Yeah, I know, I enjoy it here and most ppl are very welcoming, some are snobs, some are no it alls, some are trolls, etc, all in all, a great forum

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The wife's been sick so I haven't had a lot of time to be more active...

She has congestive heart failure and just last month had a pace maker put in... you know your spending way to much time at the hospital when you know all the staff by their first names

No UFOs in the hospital but if you hang around the ER around 2am you sure see a lot of unexplainable things...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Hope your wife has a speedy recovery!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
reply to post by DaddyBare

Hope your wife has a speedy recovery!

Well thanks for your kind thoughts... She is better thanks... for a while there her heart was working at only 20%... I cant say what that's up to now with the pace maker but she has a lot more energy now, enough that she's piddling around in the garden the past few days. that's a huge change!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Someone made a very good point here about regurgitating headlines. I just don't see why people should get a mountain of stars & flags (and points) for that. At the same time, someone who puts a great deal of thought and time into coming up with a seemingly genuine theory and posts a mountain of supporting evidence (following hours of research), gets absolutely nowhere. While I have no issues with the "recent posts" area, I haven't been seeing as much interesting material there as I did when I first joined ATS.

Usually, each time I log in, I'll check the recent posts page by scrolling down the list and opening titles that look interesting in separate tabs. Lately, the number of those at any given point in time hasn't exceeded five. Then, I'll open each tab for the OP and most of the time, I'm disappointed. Sometimes I'll read a few replies before giving up on it but that's where my involvement usually ends. When an OP has done considerable work to post something really incredible, I'll at least subscribe to the thread and usually respond immediately so as not to get lost in the crowd of replies I expect to arrive in the next few hours. Then... nothing happens. Meanwhile, people making ridiculous statements with next to no evidence get all this attention. What the heck?

Good threads die when people say, "That's already been done, check out this link" or they fail to do anything more than star & flag. At best, there may be a few one-liners with the words, "second line" written in and I think that's terribly sad. I realize that owners and mods can't really do anything about situations like that and it is up to us to keep the good threads alive but what are we to do when popular opinion prefers half-baked trash? All I can do is try to keep a good conversation going but if no one else joins in, then one person isn't going to make much of a difference.

Perhaps the most telling sign of change was the top 10 conspiracies list. I was shocked that certain items made the cut while others either languished near the bottom of the list, or missed out altogether. I'm not going to go into specifics here at the risk of offending someone but you've got to be kidding me!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join