It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fantastic pic of the "triple galaxy"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
blog.wired.com...

The Hubble Space Telescope took a closer look at this triple galaxy group on April 1 and 2 after 140,000 people around the world voted on six potential targets. The areas have previously only been photographed by ground-based telescopes.

The Arp 274 galaxy group won the competition with more than 67,000 votes. Hubble's image suggests the galaxies may not be close enough together to interact as they appear to be in the image taken by the Palomar Observatory near San Diego.

The galaxies to the right and left show blueish lights, evidence of rapid star formation. Older stars are more yellow. The group is located in the constellation Virgo, 400 million light years away from Earth. The two bright stars at the right of the image are actually located in our own galaxy.

NASA held the contest as part of the International Year of Astronomy in celebration of the 400th anniversary of the telescope.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
An absolutely stunning image silent thunder and thanks for posting it. I am always amazed by the beautiful images from Hubble.

Rush

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Beautiful, just imagine how huge each galaxy is!

400th anniversary of the hubble telescope? That's not right. Am I misunderstanding you?

Thanks for the share, the universe truly is amazing.

Edit: I think it means 400th anniversary of the invention of the telescope, lol silly me.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
A wonderful picture indeed!

Hmmm, I think I might be able to do something with it in my Bryce Program. I'll need to experiment a little.

new topics

top topics

join