It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The purpose of ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I am a long time reader of ATS and I've noticed a trend amongst most of its members, most people on this site never change their mind on anything. I feel that most people don't join this site to have a spirited debate, they join to fuel paranoia or spread ignorance. In fact if you don't believe some one on this site you're usually labeled as a brain washed sheep.

I want to refuel my faith in ATS so I'm going to ask a few questions

1) Have any of your beliefs changed since visiting ATS.

2) What would happen if you found out your beliefs were wrong.

3) What do you think of people who don't share the same belief as you.

4) How do you feel about debate of said beliefs.

5) Have you ever called someone ignorant or a sheep for challenging you beliefs.

6) How do you feel after a reading session on ATS.

7) How do you feel when you're away from ATS for a day or more.

8) why do you visit ATS.

FYI: I had no idea were to put this thread, so feel free to move it.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by Anubis_4400]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anubis_4400

Yes, I was pretty liberal when I came here. I'm pretty conservative now. That may have to do with age though.

My siggy says it all about this.

An opportunity to learn something, even if I don't incorperate in my life.

Bring it. I may learn something.

5) Have you ever called someone ignorant or a sheep for challenging you beliefs.

No.

Depends on the day. Sometimes elated, sometimes burned out.

Didn't know that that was an option.

8) why do you visit ATS.

Everything is here. Opinions from across many different spectrums. Also I see new material here before it becomes "news". I like being current.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Beliefs in what?
It's a very broad question.

I would get over it.
Depends what these beliefs are (see answer to question 1)

Well i have a few on my friends list, people i don't see eye to eye with are still great members who contribute to the site.
It's the trolls, gullible folks and butt-kissers i can't stand.

Need clarification on said beliefs.
But i enjoy debates with anyone really...on most topics.

Nope.... but i have called people ignorant for being ignorant.
Like...being bigoted or small minded.

Depends what i've read really... but usually good, entertained...educated.
As i said...depends on what I've read.

Doesn't bother me.
I've had a few breaks and come back feeling refreshed and appreciate the place more usually.

8) why do you visit ATS.

To chat to like-minded people and read up on topics that the MSM don't cover and many other site don't discuss in such a civilized and decent manner.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

yes.
I guess I wouldn't do anything since I would not exist then.
I'm sure many people are paranoid as to my non-existence, but I don't care if other people believe I exist or not.
Sure, though I don't think I could ever prove it to you.
no way.
depends.
depends
8) why do you visit ATS.
Usually I am bored and want to see if there is any cool news or someone has a cool theory, but surveys are always fun too.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Yes. I was an "alien agnostic" until I encountered The Terra Papers here on ATS. Now I am positive that we live with extraterrestrials, interterrestrials, and "humans" whose hearts are more lizard in nature than human.

With incontrovertable proof...[shrug] I'd merely accept it.

That depends on their behavior. If they respectfully disagree, I think highly of them If they are rude and obnoxious, not so much.

I love good, respectful debates. I willingly debate any who are not rude and disrespectful. Often we end with agreeing to disagree.

Nope. I don't call people things. I probably have said that I suspect that they would qualify for being a "sheep," but I never make such statements in the frame of "Truth." Always I state them as my opinion based on my observations.

Depends again. If it has kept to ATS's policy of debating the evidence and refrains from personal attack...I love it. If it has devolved, then I m disgusted and move on.

Like I'm missing the real news.

8) why do you visit ATS.

Because I believe the truth is far different from what the MSM tells us and, knowing the large readership, I hope to present my evidence and open the eyes of those who are not squeezing them shut.

[edit on 4/7/2009 by Amaterasu]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Yes, a few have. But mostly it's because I wasn't asking the right questions, and when i did, I got some answers that influenced my beliefs or made me see something differently.

Nothing I really could do... If I were to "find out in the future" that would imply they are already wrong now - which could definitely be the case.

I try to be open-minded and tolerant of others beliefs. However, there a few things, in my opinion, that are non-negotiable (although to keep this thread on track I won't get into them).

Love it. That's how I learn.

No, I've never called anyone a name for their beliefs. Perhaps for their behavior, but not for believing something. I try to exercise my self control.

Depends on the topic. Sometimes I'm happy to have read something so informative and helpful. And sometimes I wonder how certain topics got so many flags. But mostly I'm happy to have found a site like ATS.

Like I'm dying
JK.

I like to check into ATS every day - and even if I don't post in ATS as much as I used to, I still read quite a bit of the new threads to keep myself up to date and educated with what's going on.

8) why do you visit ATS.

I came for the Conspiracy Theories surrounding the paranormal, and stayed for the Psych Forum, Alternative News, and the People.

- Carrot

[edit on 4/7/2009 by CA_Orot]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I feel that most people don't join this site to have a spirited debate, they join to fuel paranoia or spread ignorance.

I beg to differ...

Not really. But I joined this site as an athiestic, non-politically affiliated and believer in financial/sociological motivations for the actions that are undertaken everyday (locally, nationally and internationally) under the auspices of the ideological affirmations that is usually heard from the mainstream media. So I am one of those "NWO is real" kind of guys but am much more realistic, in my opinion, in the sense that I think the everyday social issues that are ravaged upon in the media are the intended distractions...etc. I could derail this thread so I'll stop there...

Found out as in was presented ultimate proof or found out that someone disagrees with me?

Misguided...

Seriously, I see that throughout human history people have invariably been raised in seperate regions with many different cultural understandings and a huge range of exposure to informations and technology. So I don't really care if someone thinks differently than me if they are confident, intelligent and respectful in their communicative efforts.

An excellent excercise...

No. I have considered some people in such a fashion...but only after frustrated efforts at communication.

After? I never leave...

Have you ever experienced withdrawels from heroin? Neither have I but I think the pain is comparable...

8) why do you visit ATS.

There is no outlet in my social circle for valid and stimulating conversation. I need this place to for the satiation of my need for relevant conversation.

Edit for quote tags.

[edit on Tue, 07 Apr 2009 18:46:56 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
-No, not really.

-What I've always done when I found that my belief was erroneous. Read up on the new evidence and learn something new.

-That depends on if their beliefs have any substance to them, and how they're presented.

-See #3.

-Never called someone a sheep, but I have called ignorance out when I see it.

-Like a cross between an orgasmic afterglow and a facepalm.

-Not a problem.

8) why do you visit ATS.
-Entertainment.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
There is no outlet in my social circle for valid and stimulating conversation. I need this place to for the satiation of my need for relevant conversation.

Ha ha...same here.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Have any of your beliefs changed since visiting ATS.

Yes, particularly with regard to religion, the Middle East and the nature of people in general.

What would happen if you found out your beliefs were wrong.

I usually admit it. For instance, I was likely wrong about Obama... I am primarily concerned with rooting out the truth, no matter how uncomfortable or inconvenient.

What do you think of people who don't share the same belief as you.

I find them interesting to learn from. Either by listening to their point of view or by how they conduct themselves within the forum. The one exception being fundamentalist or extremists of all religions. They exhaust me - and I consider myself to be very spiritual and mildly religious.

How do you feel about debate of said beliefs.

I don't mind framing my perspective or stating my factual case and then listening with an open mind to others as they do the same. However, I often find debate to be futile. On some topics people are just not going to change their minds...

Have you ever called someone ignorant or a sheep for challenging you beliefs.

Not for challenging my beliefs but certainly for refusing to acknowledge facts and evidence.

How do you feel after a reading session on ATS.

It depends on the topics burning up the board at the time. For the most part, often very drained and mentally exhausted.

How do you feel when you're away from ATS for a day or more.

It sucks. And it's good. All things in moderation...

why do you visit ATS.

To sort out the truth, to look deeper into issues, to use it as a gauge against which to measure more traditional forms of media, to broaden my world view. I analyze everything and ATS is a great place to find literally everything. Oh, and no one I know IRL life likes to talk about the varied provocative topics found on ATS. It's just not polite conversation here in Dixie.

[edit on 7/4/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Anubis_4400

I don't have much in the way of what one might call "beliefs," I have however learned a boatload about stuff I was interested in and found out a whole bunch of new stuff to be interested in.

I am not my beliefs, thus discovering new information that contradicts what I might have once thought is not a personal affront to me or my ego. Actually there's nothing quite as stimulating as discovery. Coming from the premise that I know very little also helps.

The same way I feel about almost everyone else, mostly indifferent.

Are you saying I talk a lot? Why, what have you heard?

I have never breached ATS' terms & conditions, honest.

Plus I like sheep.

Simultaneously ignored and violated, then sleepy.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56a4518c89aa.gif[/atsimg]

Mostly I worry how they can go on without me.

8) why do you visit ATS.

Have you been outside lately?

Seriously, I have learned so much, laughed more that I deserve to, and made sooo many good friends. Mostly I visit because I have fun here.

FYI: I had no idea were to put this thread, so feel free to move it.

Where would you like it?

Thanks for asking about us Anubis, I hope you decide to stick around.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Simultaneously ignored and violated, then sleepy

OMG! I tried very hard to answer that question accurately and it was hard to describe - But you nailed it.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I think this is an excellent subject as it peers into the depth of character one finds on ATS.

Star and flag, and I hope this Thread becomes a perma link for new members to see when they arrive.

While some come in here with fixed ideals, you can see that many are open to learning, and exploring the differences between us that makes the human experience so much richer and more rewarding.

ATS rocks the Casbah, because it's members from far and wide each bring unique insights to every topic. Challenging our notions on the world around us, and debating our common future.

Me..... I just came in here for the free candy... and discovered so much more.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Ok, first of all.....I am not going to quote all the individual questions, numbering should work fine. Second, I am a member that is actually older than you may think. 3rd I will participate in your experiment.

Responses:

1. Continually, I understand individuals and communities at a constant exponentially increased rate based on previous to modern information posted.

2. I am always open to new information and love being proved wrong by additional, correct and relevant information.

3. They are entitled to their position and opinion.

4. I love the debates and hope for them, this is how you learn, especially about other people and communities.

5. I don't think so. I believe I have congratulated them.

6. Sometimes sick, sometimes bewildered, sometimes ....and I like this best.......enlightened.

7. I start to itch.......all over!

8. Enlightenment, curiosity, reflection, and sometimes to call people out on what they believe.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I really only have one belief in life and that is that nothing shocks or surprises me.

I would either be shocked, surprised or both!

Lucky!

Wouldn’t surprise or shock me!

It would have to be one heck of an ignorant sheep to do something that would surprise or shock me! That goes for rams as well as ewes!

Neither surprised nor shocked!

Neither surprised nor shocked!

8) why do you visit ATS.

I am open minded and love to dream one day I will be surprised or shocked, it’s looking pretty grim though if not even ATS can surprise or shock you. I would just love it one day if I could have the look that Doctor had when the nurse said, “Try for yourself, I am telling you he has no pulse!” I wonder what that was all about?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Anubis_4400

#1: Actually yes, before coming here i was actually starting to believe that people either were not truely aware of what was going on in this country, or just didn't care, other than that i think i pretty much still hold the same beliefs.

#2: Me wrong
never happen
. Seriously, if i'm wrong about something then i'm wrong and it's time to find the truth, we can't all be right about everything.

#3: Everybody is entitled to their own beliefs, as long as they don't try to beat me over the head with their beliefs they're fine.

#4: Debating your beliefs is good for the soul, it makes you take a good long look at why you believe what you do, and if your beliefs are backed up by fact, or just emotional.

#5: No

#6: It depends sometimes enlightened, sometimes in a state of disbelief, sometime burned out......

#7: I'm able to take a break when needed, always enjoy coming back.

#8: Different reasons, i get my news way earlier here than from msm, and better quality, it's a place to dicuss things with like minded people and also look at other views, i love that there are so many people from all over the place, i enjoy being able to discuss things with people in a civilized manner, and there are people here that just blow my mind with the amount of knowledge the possess, or understanding, or reason, etc.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I am quite new on ATS but joined up because I am interested with some of the subjects on here, I also want to converse with people on here but dont seem to get much attention when I could phylosyphise for a long period of time.

also its my awakening and need to understand what is going on.

most of my posts and threads are about the NWO and aliens.

I would do your list of 8 but off to bed soon.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Sparkey76]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
This php/BB coding is messed up.

[edit on 4·8·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   

I don't know if you'd call them beliefs, but I am more liberal now than when I first joined.

I take on board what people say, providing it is put forth in a manner conducive to debate - and if I'm wrong, so what, wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.

That's their business - no 2 people are the same, we have all been shaped by our own experiences so we obviously look at things slightly differently, even when we agree.

Bring it on

As long as I learn something (and I nearly always do) I'll debate anything.

Nope, only for ignorance - then again, the best way to learn is to teach

elated, drained, amused, upset - depends on the topic.

"Where's my arm gone?"

8) why do you visit ATS.

To learn, to "talk" with a great bunch of people, and to learn some more.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
BB Codes aren't showing correctly for me... Stupid Firefox.

I want to refuel my faith in ATS so I'm going to ask a few questions

.·. Yes

.·. My beliefs are correct, but I'll read counterpoints.

.·. They haven't researched (or decide by emotion.)

.·. My beliefs are correct, but I'll read counterpoints.

.·. Ignorance is lack of information. Entertain opinions.

.·. [CLASSIFIED]

.·. [CLASSIFIED]

8) why do you visit ATS.
.·. Alternate news & opinions. Mass media is bogus. Some of ATS is bogus. Also to learn & vent.

After seeing portions of Media Malpractice featuring comments from Campbell Brown's No Bias No Bull; I'm appalled at what CNN is passing off as such an absolute crock of bias & bull. It is highly highly offensive to everyone. I'm still seething. /vent/ CNN needs their head kicked so hard up their butt they vanish. Insult to humanity. (not Hannity, well maybe).

[edit on 4·8·09 by DrMattMaddix]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join