It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18 Dead in Vancouver Drugwar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Vancouver was voted as the best city on the globe to live in , they are getting ready for the 2010 Olympics .

But marring this city is a drug war ongoing between bikers and chinese
Triads

so far 50 shooting occurred with 18 dead www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Oh my, more violence isnt this just great.
Violent gangs make me believe even less in humanity.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Seems like drug wars are starting to flare up on both sides of the border.

Kinda odd the US isn't experiencing the same problem.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
the nazi police are too busy tazering innocent, unarmed people to death.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Gangs arise when the organizing principles of a society begin to fail. Gangs are a kind of community organiser bringing a structure of relationships and obligations into a cultural void where the social contract between citizens themselves and the government has broken down irretrievably.

Sometimes it is economic failure that leads to the organisation of gangs, and at other times gangs arise as a protective body for an otherwise vulnerable group.

In the case of Vancouver, 2 different forces of societal disintegration -- one arising in traditional North American society represented in this instance by the bikers, and the other from the collapse of moral order in Asian societies where gangs like the triads arise filling a void where governmental structures would be in place and transported to Vancouver in the glut of Asian immigrants from the time of the handover of Hong Kong to the Chinese Communists and the present day.

The best possible approach for a government is to infiltrate both sides and coopt each organisation into an evolving social structure in which the gangs function as the bottom feeders of the society filling in the gaps where normative government fails.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
A suspected drug gang affiliate was shot and killed 8 blocks from my house again. I said in a previous post that this area I live in has become effectively a DMZ. More than 6 rival gangs intersect in this particular area of Vancouver and it's getting worse.

Thankfully we're leaving Vancouver for small town Ontario life the week after next.

This used to be a very community spirited neighborhood and it's gone straight to hell.

Vancouver shooting at 70th Avenue

Last year there were three targeted slayings in this area...numerous break ins, kids selling dope on the street corners and the whole area has gone down hill so quickly.

Goodbye big city life...rest in peace. I'll take the backwoods redneck mentality over big city any day. (Keep in mind Canadian rednecks are very different from American rednecks).

An activist was also slain in Pacific Spirit Park just yesterday as well.

It happens all over but Vancouver is rife with it. The police can do little more than push the trouble out of the downtown core and into the subs. So long as it's not "seen" by tourists during the games...

It's sick.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
[Post removed]

Mod edit: 1h.) Spamming: You will not post identical content, or snippets of identical content, to multiple threads in the discussion forums. You will also not create more than one thread for your topic, or create multiple "slightly different" threads for a single topic.

[edit on 4/8/2009 by Majic]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Whew so glad that strict Canadian Gun Laws work. Just thought I would turn the tables on all those anti-gun sheeple out there. Couldnt help myself.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Nothing wrong with criminals killing criminals imo. Cleans the streets. It's the innocent that get caught in the cross fire that make me mad.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by justgeneric
Thankfully we're leaving Vancouver for small town Ontario life the week after next.

In the early seventies I lived in Houston (just south of Smithers), and I really miss the scenery.

Small town Ontario life is much safer than places like Toronto or Vancouver, but the small towns of the interior (B.C) are much more beautiful.

But then again, I guess the adage "the grass is always greener" probably applies here.

Hope that you enjoy your new home..and like snow.

Been a freakin snowstorm the past 2 days with lot's of highway closures.

Bring some warm weather with you O.K?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Nothing wrong with criminals killing criminals imo. Cleans the streets. It's the innocent that get caught in the cross fire that make me mad.

This is the problem in Canada. It seems that before the gangs came from outside the country, it was just the bikers killing each other off.

I remember quite a few years ago a car bomb killed a child in the biker wars, and there was almost a war with the people as that is not acceptable.

Recently however, all sorts of innocent young people are killed caught in the crossfire. Kids that are just out going to a mall, or in a restaurant are being slaughtered and I don't see the outrage that I used to.

The world is changing in a way that I don't like.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Might aswell add Sydney Australia to the list as there is an ongoing drug war between bikers going on aswell.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

A suspected drug gang affiliate was shot and killed 8 blocks from my house again. I said in a previous post that this area I live in has become effectively a DMZ. More than 6 rival gangs intersect in this particular area of Vancouver and it's getting worse.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. There is NO area in Vancouver remotely like that. Don't get me wrong...I'm no fan of the VPD - in fact I would go as far as to say they are the most corrupt police force I have encountered and I have lived in several cities in the UK, US and Canada.

But let's not lose perspective here. Thankfully violent gun crime in Vancouver is restricted to the criminals themselves. I'm not saying that people don't ever get caught up in the middle but when you a/compare it to any metropolitan area and b/consider it's also a gateway city with one of the largest port operations with an airport and direct road links to the US I think we're doing ok.

To be frank. I see this as nothing more than an attempt to get Canadians used to the idea of stricter gun control and eventually no gun possession. Just look whats happening across the border.

This is just a blip being used by the media to make people panic. And with the amount of narcissists and lack of community spirit in Vancouver (at least downtown) it's really working a charm.

It happens all over but Vancouver is rife with it. The police can do little more than push the trouble out of the downtown core and into the subs. So long as it's not "seen" by tourists during the games...

It's sick.

No it's not rife with anything. Funny how the major player in the organized crime world in most of Canada, Especially BC is the HA and are they ever mentioned?

Media BS blown out of all proportion

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I kinda agree , but gangs add to further social decay, there for more gangs . Solution, not too sure here, some kind of multi-prong approach . I fear the situation in Vancouver has started to spin quickly out of control. I can see the government bringing troops , it's been done before .

Man I lived in Van. a decade ago, it wasn't nearly this bad . Very sad

As much of scum the bikers are they seem to have a code not to hurt civilians when ever possible . They know if the public turns on them it has negative consequences to their bottom line$$ . In their narcissistic way, many still like to be see themselves as some kind of robin hood . Non the less they are still scum

[edit on 7-4-2009 by OpusMarkII]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I hope your being sarcastic , There are many US cities as bad as Vancouver and worse .

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Sadly this is the truth of the matter. There ARE a minimum of 6 gangs that intersect this particular area.

Crime in general is a HUGE problem in Vancouver and there are many political and socioeconomic reasons for it. it's not just gangs, which are prevalent in Vancouver as well as many other large metropolis'.

I have lived here for all of my 17 years and have watched the kids I used to take of go into the local gangs.

How you can say with such certainty that it is not true is curious, when I see it daily.

This whole area around West 70th avenue is a nightmare. Can't walk ten feet without running into one of the local and transient homeless.

On a daily basis there are marked and unmarked police cars and Gang units in big ass SUV's making the rounds. We've had Triads living and selling dope in our building and we had more than a few knifing in a very small radius.

I do not proclaim that vancouver is the worst...but the situation is being glossed over to favor the damn Olympics. It IS rife with crime and gang activity. Rife with mental illness and a massive homeless population that grows tenfold during the summer months.

The population of petty thieves, drug users, runaways, prostitutes and those who "feed" the addictions and recruit...are constantly on the move thanks to the political forces.

It's here it's just mobile. Hastings street is NOT the only congregation. many neighborhoods have been over run.

I am glad to be leaving it.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by justgeneric

This thread is insane. Can anybody making these ridiculous claims about Vancouver suddenly developing this 'huge' crime problem back them up with any comparable statistics against some other North American cities?

Look around you man, I'm delighted to be living in Vancouver.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by justgeneric

This whole area around West 70th avenue is a nightmare. Can't walk ten feet without running into one of the local and transient homeless.

Let's not get our issues confused here. That is hardly what the thread was about

new topics

top topics

join