It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student in UK arrested, DNA taken for turning in cell phone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

STUDENT ARRESTED...FOR BEING HONEST

Source

Paul Leicester, 18, played the Good Samaritan when he discovered the handset lying in the street. He rang the last number dialled and told a friend of the owner he would leave the phone at a nearby police station. But officers arrested him for “theft by finding”, held him for four hours and took a DNA sample.

Here's my .02...I think they are just trying to get as many people into the system (dna) as possible. Poor kid...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The wave of the future.

It is all about the DNA.

I know this story is from the UK, but how many different agencies(non-law enforcement) have access to the DNA database in the US?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
That is an extreme case.

Not a bad hypothesis though, it's sad though that guy will probably never trust a police officer again.

Even if his house is burning down, who to call, the police will just arrest him finding him at fault, for, well, living in the house.

To extreme, he wasn't in the wrong at all.

You smell that, smells like fish, fishy fish.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
If he isn't charged, then he can legally have all his details, DNA, prints and mug shot, removed from police files. (bet he doesn't know this though)

That goes for everyone, if you were arrested, had the whole DNA prints mugshot thing, but were not charged, you can get this removed from their files.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

If he isn't charged, then he can legally have all his details, DNA, prints and mug shot, removed from police files. (bet he doesn't know this though)

Is there an agency or company that can verify that this is done?

I just wouldn't take their word for it.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
So, the real take away lesson here is that if you find something in the UK that you would normally turn into the police, now you should just drop it in a mailbox and be on your way.

I ride my bike to work and have found a number of interesting items in the street including wallets and a passport. I just stop and turn them in at the police station.

If I heard of that happening here, I wouldn't go to the police station anymore.

It's a very negative message that the police are sending.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I once worked with a bagboy who was arrested after finding a pair of expensive sunglasses in a parking lot without immediately turning them in. This stuff happens.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
"theft by finding"?!
- a cellphone?
They take DNA?
Be afraid -
Be very afraid.
This is wrong!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
[Post removed]

Mod edit: 1h.) Spamming: You will not post identical content, or snippets of identical content, to multiple threads in the discussion forums. You will also not create more than one thread for your topic, or create multiple "slightly different" threads for a single topic.

[edit on 4/8/2009 by Majic]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Yet more moronically enforced laws. Arresting and taking of dna from someone trying to do the right thing. All the officers involved should be removed from law enforcement to either relearn procedure or be canned.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I'm still trying to determine what police officer had it in his head that a person turning in found property deserves to be arrested. What is the logic train on that one? I don't think there possible could be one.

Like I said, I believe that maybe the police are being told to somehow be proactive in getting as many people's DNA as possible.

I would certainly hope, as one poster said, that they would be able to remove this information from the database.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
That is a pure disgrace, and just shows that no one in there right mind would be a good samariten today. Fffing police shuld be locked up.

I wonder how he feels now, and what sort of feelings he has to the police for the rest of his life.

Police are just pure scum, and here is another story that proves it.

new topics

top topics

join