It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy Physicist warns of possibly several decades of crushing cold temperatures and global famine

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Here are the articles about the largest Solar flare which occurred in 2003, and which was originally estimated to be an X28, which would still make it the largest ever recorded in modern times, but later is was upgraded to an X45 because the instruments were not calibrated to deal with this sort of solar storm.

Luckily it missed Earth.

Massive sunspot has Earth in its sights

Brace for impact

By Lucy Sherriff • Get more from this author

Posted in Science, 15th September 2005 15:37 GMT

JOIN THE INTEL® SEMINAR. IT HAS COMPANIES TALKING

A sunspot five times the size of Earth could wreak havoc with satellites and radio communication systems, scientists warn, as it moves across the face of the sun and Earth moves directly into its firing line.

Seven huge X-class flares have already erupted from the spot, including one of magnitude X17 last Wednesday that made it into the record books as the fourth largest ever seen.

The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said that the flares have already caused problems with some electric power systems, radio communications and global positioning equipment.

It went on to warn that further flares are likely in the next week, and because the sunspot is moving into line with Earth, the risk of disruptions is even greater as the solar activity will strike the planet head-on.

The daddy of all solar flares was spotted in November 2003, and ranked X28 on the magnitude scale. Fortunately, the flare did not directly strike Earth. Even so, it did disrupt satellites, and caused some problems for the Mars Express spacecraft, which at that time was still en route to Mars.

The radiation from a flare will reach the Earth within minutes, but the charged particles associated with the event take longer to arrive, typically two days. These particles are responsible for the Auroras Borealis and Australis; the Northern and Southern lights.

www.theregister.co.uk...

Sun's massive explosion upgraded

By Dr David Whitehouse
BBC News Online science editor

The massive solar flare that erupted from the Sun last November was far bigger than scientists first thought.
At the time, satellite detectors were unable to record its true size because they were blinded by its radiation.

But University of Otago physicists say they have now estimated the probable scale of the huge explosion by studying how X-rays hit the Earth's atmosphere.

They tell Geophysical Research Letters the X45 class event was more than twice as big as the previous record flare.

Fortunately, the Earth did not take a direct hit from this immense blast of radiation and matter.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Solar flares can do a lot more than just cause beautiful auroras.

Anyway, if you want to continue to dismiss all this go ahead, but at the end, when you are caught unprepared and you start yelling and bashing this, or that government for not being prepared for you, you will be the only one to blame.

You don't have to be paranoid, or crazy to believe in being prepared, and you can still live your life normally. The only difference is when the SHTF, and it will, those that prepared will have a much better chance than those who kept saying "I'll just keep on partying, the Sun won't do anything as long as I don't think about it", or even those who for some reason or another keep believing that mankind has more power than all the forces of the Universe, or multiverses.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/639c9095a1aff470.gif[/atsimg]
www.briansprediction.com...

Near Oraibi, Arizona, there is a petroglyph known as Prophecy Rock which symbolizes many Hopi prophecies. Its interpretation is:

The large human figure on the left is the Great Spirit. The bow in his left hand represents his instructions to the Hopi to lay down their weapons. The vertical line to the right of the Great Spirit is a time scale in thousands of years. The point at which the great Spirit touches the line is the time of his return.

The "life path" established by the Great Spirit divides into the lower, narrow path of continuous Life in harmony with nature and the wide upper road of white man's scientific achievements. The bar between the paths, above the cross, is the coming of white men; the Cross is that of Christianity. The circle below the cross represents the continuous Path of Life.

The four small human figures on the upper road represent, on one level, the past three worlds and the present; on another level, the figures indicate that some of the Hopi will travel the white man's path, having been seduced by its glamour.

The two circles on the lower Path of Life are the "great shaking of the earth" (World Wars One and Two). The swastika in the sun and the Celtic cross represent the two helpers of Pahana, the True White Brother.

The short line that returns to the straight Path of Life is the last chance for people to turn back to nature before the upper road disintegrates and dissipates. The small circle above the Path of Life, after the last chance, is the Great Purification, after which corn will grow in abundance again when the Great Spirit returns. And the Path of Life continues forever...

The Hopi shield in the lower right corner symbolizes the Earth and the Four-Corners area where the Hopi have been reserved. The arms of the cross also represent the four directions in which they migrated according to the instructions of the Great Spirit.

The dots represent the four colors of Hopi corn, and the four racial colors of humanity.

As you can see, the Hopi prophecy rock shows that we do have options
Both of them lead to doom. So we can "choose"

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The fact that the suns cycles are only 13 years long means we have nothing to worry about.

I bet you any money this guy is sponsered by Exxon.
They are on a mission to counter the global warming truth as we can see by the peice of propaganda called "The day after tomorrow".

Sorry but we are not falling for it.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

There is a giant black hole at the center of our galaxy. I feel that it is draining off energy from our sun as we align with the center of the galaxy.

So at least for a few years, it could easily get colder. Then it will warm again back to normal.

That's my two cents worth.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Well, on a small scale, one thing that comes to mind is there is plenty of heat available in concentrated sunlight. Making better use of the suns rays seems like a good thing to cultivate in "science". Some time back there was a news report of a solar collector of some kind concentrate temperatures around 7,000 degrees! But, I don't see an ice age coming myself.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I just had a curious thought. What if the alledged Chemtrails are supposed to protect us from solar radiation or whatever. Perhaps they could act like some sort of insulation or screen ?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by big gee
I just had a curious thought. What if the alledged Chemtrails are supposed to protect us from solar radiation or whatever. Perhaps they could act like some sort of insulation or screen ?

I don't want to derail the thread, but I have pretty much convinced myself that the chemtrails are a polymer to bring a toxic substance to the ground so we don.t have to breathe it.

The idea that it is for weather manipulation is govt. disinfo.

For example, airborne contaminants could include lead and mercury from coal fired electric plants, barium, and even DU.

Since this all will get into the water supply eventually, what we are not breathing now, we will eventually be drinking.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

There is a giant black hole at the center of our galaxy. I feel that it is draining off energy from our sun as we align with the center of the galaxy.

Physicist Paul Laviolette seems to think quite the opposite, and has actual data to back it up.

PS - That pic from new scientist on page one was pretty awesome, i'm glad it's just the US that's gonna be affected and us Aussies will be fine woooo!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by butane bob

Physicist Paul Laviolette seems to think quite the opposite, and has actual data to back it up.

PS - That pic from new scientist on page one was pretty awesome, i'm glad it's just the US that's gonna be affected and us Aussies will be fine woooo!!!

I am not a scientist. These concepts are difficult to grasp. Actually the recent cooling has taken me by surprise.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
go the Ozzies,

OH, but if the US is hit, would that not mean that the yanks would be coming here to get away from all that!!!!!!

oh well, as they said about the yanks in WWII

Over Sexed
Over Paid
and Over here.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Here's one for you that is slightly related. What if the earth is hit by a huge solar flare or coronal mass ejection.

What happens at Yellowstone. Does that baby go Boom?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Why cant some scientist come out and predict giant happy rainbows made of sugar pillows that are going to come out of the sky and let us roll around on them laughing.

Thanks for the smile Dermo,...Great Image.

The Sun IS what we should be watching. Sol will decide what happens on this tiny blue marble. There is a reason people worshipped the Sun in the past. It can quietly provide life for us all until we take it for granted. It has also been known to sulk for long periods as it is doing now. It can also display unbeleivable bouts of anger. Interesting times,...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This is something new?

Sorry if that doesnt sound very nice but this has been said for years.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
and you accusing the GW of fear mongering.

This guy is bunk.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
1. The sun has it's 11 year cycle
2.I am sure there's a back up plan

And for those of you that lived in the UK blackouts in the 70's which went on for months...I am sure well cope!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Ps forgot to add
Water stand pipes
people with generators and battery backup
people with trailers, caravans
gas camp stoves etc etc

I am sure we'll all pull together and make sure we look after ourselves. We did!!! and actually it can be fun playing games by candlelight.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I think we are much more likely to end up in an Ice Age in the years and decades ahead, caused first by Global Warming. This would be hastened in a VERY SMALL way by human activity -- but more because of the Sun's decreased sunspot activity.

The most plausible explanation of how the Global Cooling has happened in the past and would happen AGAIN would be due to the sudden release of cold fresh water caused by the melting of ice in Canada. Much of the water from the last Ice Age formed an inland sea, where the Great Lakes now preside. This inland sea is also the precursor of the Great Lakes, but what would come first is of more importance.

Like believed to have happen last time, this massive Canadian fresh water lake would burst its borders, emptying down the Hudson Strait and right in to the Labrador Sea west of Greenland.

Denser than the surrounding Gulf Stream water, the cold water would sink to the bottom of the ocean of the north Atlantic, causing the Gulf Stream to sputter, shift and perhaps even halt for hundreds or thousands of years. The increase of water 8,000-10,000 years ago might be an explanation of the flooding in Noah's story, chronicled in other myths from other societies.

IF it happens like it's believed to have happened last time, Europe would immediately suffer, just like in what is now known as the Younger Dryas, or the Big Freeze. Greenland ice-cores which have recently been excavated show that in that area plummeting by up to 8 °C in as little as a decade.

A detailed study, completed in 2007, was carried out on sediments found on the sea floor, and found that there were sudden and dramatic changes at the time that the lake emptied. Included in these ‘changes’ was a flood of fine sediment from the land, which coincided with a large and quick drop in the amount of particles of magnetite, which are normally carried to the area by deep ocean currents. The changes happened within a decade or so, and were found to have happened in a warm climate, not dissimilar to those of today.

Great chunks of ice are breaking off of Greenland instead of a steady melt -- that much is FACT. These icebergs are increasing the amount of freshwater found in the North Atlantic. Some oceanographers believe that this may be a precursor of another Canadian fresh water sudden melt that could eventually lead to another shutdown of the Gulf Stream, leaving Europe in a pocket cold spot, while the rest of the planet warms.

So, without being all Gloom and Doom, it's plausible that we're in for a big shift. But I would not point to Man for being the ultimate cause. The culprit is that big nuclear reactor of hydrogen 93 million miles away, driving all of the forces on our planet.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BugBomb

check out this chart of the daily extent of Arctic Sea Ice since 2002...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/25ef75446916.png[/atsimg]
www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu...

My bet is that we’ll be hearing about the shrinking ice caps again in August – which, of course, is when they should be shrinking. Funny how no one talks about the shrinking ice caps in January.

www.iceagenow.com... (updated daily!)

it all seems to be falling into cycles, like most of everything else in this universe... once you understand the cycles, the predictions seem to come naturally!

[edit on 8-4-2009 by adrenochrome]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I for one would love to see a drop in the average temp of the planet. It would put all those who are up in arms about global warming to rest. It might even help the US avoid/ get rid of some taxes. One thing that we have to accept is that the universe is much larger and more powerful than we are and in the end we are at its mercy. If the sun decides it wants to cool down then there is nothing we can do but try and survive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join