It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy Physicist warns of possibly several decades of crushing cold temperatures and global famine

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Retired U.S. Navy Physicist and Engineer James A. Marusek says that our "sun has undergone a state change" - and i'm not too thrilled about it...

The sun has gone very quiet as it transitions to Solar Cycle 24.

(The sun) might (1) revert to the old solar cycles or (2) the sun might go even quieter into a "Dalton Minimum" or a Grand Minima such as the "Maunder Minimum". It is still a little early to predict which way it will swing. Each of these two possibilities holds a great threat to our nation.

We are now at a crossroad. Two paths lie before us. Both are marked with a signpost that reads “Danger”! Down one path lies monstrous solar storms. Down the other path lies several decades of crushing cold temperatures and global famine.

...Our Milky Way galaxy is awash with cosmic rays. These are high speed charged particles that originate from exploding stars.

Because they are charged, their travel is strongly influenced by magnetic fields. Our sun produces a magnetic field wrapped in the solar winds that extends to the edges of our solar system. This field deflects many of the cosmic rays away from Earth. But when the sun goes quiet (minimal sunspots), this field collapses inward allowing high energy cosmic rays to penetrate deeper into our solar system.

As I say in Magnetic Reversals and Evolutionary Leaps, these same cosmic rays can lead to mutations and evolutionary leaps.

As a result, far greater numbers collide with Earth and penetrate down into the lower atmosphere where they ionize small particles of moisture (humidity) forming them into water droplets that become clouds. Low level clouds reflect sunlight back into space. An increase in Earth's cloud cover produce a global drop in temperature.

iceagenow.com...

Since the old solar cycles produced fewer sunspots, one might draw the conclusion that we will be entering a period of reduced solar storms. But this is not true. It is quite the opposite. The old solar cycles produced very intense solar storms. The greatest solar storm in modern time known as the Carrington flare of 1-2 September 1859 occurred in Solar Cycle 10. In addition to the Carrington flare, several other massive solar storms occurred during the old solar cycles. These massive solar storms occurred on 12 October 1859, 4 February 1872, 17-18 November 1882, 30 March 1894, 31 October 1903, 25 September 1909 and 13-16 May 1921. How can this be? This is because the old solar cycles produced massive sunspots. It was like the magnetic field energy was still there and had to still be released but during a shorter time interval, so the sunspots exploded in size and power.

If a solar storm of the magnitude of the Carrington flare were to occur today, the effect on our modern technologically dependent society would be grave. Of these, the greatest threat would lie in the loss of stable electrical power. A massive solar storm could destroy many of the large custom Extra High Voltage (EHV) power transformer in the United States. These items are unique, costly (around $10 million each) and have manufacture lead time of a year or more for replacement... if a massive solar storm struck the United States today “it would result in large-scale blackouts affecting more than 130 million people and would expose more than 350 major transformers to the risk of permanent damage”. Imagine the effect of a total power blackout for months/years on 100 million people in the U.S. along with many millions across the globe. The report then goes on to say “Historically large storms have a potential to cause power grid blackouts and transformer damage of unprecedented proportions, long-term blackouts, and lengthy restoration times, and chronic shortages for multiple years are possible.”

personals.galaxyinternet.net...

the .pdf is the full article, and it has much to say for those that are experienced in studying sun cycles. to learn how severe the issue at hand is, i suggest reading the entire article, to get a good idea on where this Navy physicist is coming from.

what's everyone else think of this?? i don't see why this couldn't all be fact... if it indeed is true, what can we do about this?

or, is something already being done, that they aren't telling us about??

[edit on 7-4-2009 by adrenochrome]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Doom and gloom doom and gloom doom and gloom.

"Two points lie before us.. one where we die.. and another where we live painful lives that make us want to die.. and then we die"

On top of that, every five minutes there is an "Expert" telling us we are all going to die soon unless we give someone all our money to save us..

I suppose.. i'd rather freeze to death or die from solar rays than drown from global warming.

Maybe I should just die now.. get it all out of the way.

Why cant some scientist come out and predict giant happy rainbows made of sugar pillows that are going to come out of the sky and let us roll around on them laughing.

Good find though, interesting read.. hopefully it wont happen.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
Doom and gloom doom and gloom doom and gloom.

lol yeah, that was my first thought, too...

either way, that iceagenow.com... site is pretty interesting, since i've heard in more than a few places that we might have an upcoming Ice Age, ultimately due to mass amounts of rainfall...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
speaking of "blackouts", i came across this map of the supposed upcoming blackout regions in the U.S.:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3886a80effbb.jpg[/atsimg]
www.newscientist.com...

...looks like i'm moving to Flagstaff, AZ afterall - at least they don't fluoridate the water supply there!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
also, here's yet another article that's starting to tie these predictions together:

"2012 may bring the “perfect storm” – solar flares, systems collapse"

According to New Scientist, science’s concern is a repetition of the 8-day 1859 “Carrington event,” a large solar flare accompanied by a coronal mass ejection (CME) that flung billions of tons of solar plasma onto the earth’s magnetosphere and disrupted Victorian-era magnetometers and the world telegraph system.

The New Scientist states, “The report outlines the worst case scenario for the US. The ‘perfect storm’ is most likely on a spring or autumn night in a year of heightened solar activity - something like 2012. Around the equinoxes, the orientation of the Earth's field to the sun makes us particularly vulnerable to a plasma strike.”

The next solar maximum is expected to occur in 2012. New Scientist reports that Mike Hapgood, head of the European Space Agency's space weather team states, "We're in the equivalent of an idyllic summer's day. The sun is quiet and benign, the quietest it has been for 100 years," "but it could turn the other way."

The modern electrical high-power grid magnifies the impact of solar flares. Since the grid is linked into major aspects of modern society, the effects of another Carrington event would be devastating. The National Academy of Sciences report states: “A severe space weather event in the US could induce ground currents that would knock out 300 key transformers within about 90 seconds, cutting off the power for more than 130 million people.” The New Scientist states: “According to the NAS report, the impact of what it terms a "severe geomagnetic storm scenario" could be as high as $2 trillion. And that's just the first year after the storm. The NAS puts the recovery time at four to 10 years. It is questionable whether the US would ever bounce back.”

The solar coronal mass ejection from the 1859 Carrington event arrived on earth in less than 15 minutes, which is faster that our early warning system NASA's Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE) can detect.

“Ensure 10 percent of our electricity comes from renewable sources by 2012, and 25 percent by 2025.” [- Obama-Biden comprehensive New Energy for America plan]

This policy, which replicates energy grid policy in many advanced industrialized nations, is not adequate for the challenges of 2012 solar flares. The policy does not promote new fuel-less non-polluting energy sources now sequestered in secret, national security and black budget projects, and which have been developed using U.S. tax-payer funds. These included reported anti-gravitic technology and free energy technologies, based on Tesla technology.

So here is a key question: Is human society being set up to fail and suffer an effective systems collapse with great loss of life and property if 2012 solar flares materialize in the worst case scenario?

The good news: 2012 galactic alignment

www.examiner.com...

...it says "to be continued in Part II of this article" - i can't wait to see what it says!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
...and a bit more:

"ALL EYES ARE ON THE SUN AFTER NOAA-LED SOLAR CYCLE 24 PANEL PREDICTS UPCOMING PERIOD OF INTENSE SOLAR STORMS"

...the Earth will soon experience the start of a new cycle of solar storms and the expected intensity of the upcoming cycle will become clearer in time.

“The next 11-year cycle of solar storms will most likely start next March and peak in late 2011 or mid-2012,”
said Doug Biesecker, a solar physicist from the NOAA Space Environment Center

www.magazine.noaa.gov... (great article!)

"Cell Phone and GPS Service Disruptions Likely with Increased Sunspot Activity"

Solar storms have disrupted communications technology since the mid 1800s, when the telegraph was in use. Disruptions knocked out power grids, causing a blackout in Quebec in 1989. In 1997, solar storms incapacitated and led to the decommissioning of a $200 million communications satellite.

Even air travel has been disrupted by solar storms.
In 2003 passenger aircraft on polar routes, which go over the Earth's poles to reduce both fuel costs and travel time, were redirected due to communications blackouts. It can cost an airline up to $100,000 to reroute a polar flight.

In March 2006, scientists predicted that the next solar cycle could be up to 50 percent stronger than the last one, making for some of the most intense solar phenomena since the late 1950s. Scientists formulated this prediction using a new computer model that allows them to forecast solar cycles with 98 percent accuracy.

www.findingdulcinea.com...

"Severe Solar Flares Could Cause Catastrophic Power Outage in United States"

A recent report found that for countries relying on technology for life-sustaining infrastructures, a severe solar flare could be more devastating than any prior natural disaster.

"Mass Ejection of Solar Plasma Could End Life as We Know It"

New Scientist points out that the United States is extremely vulnerable to coronal mass ejections for two reasons; (1) the high power grids that we use to transmit power would attract currents caused by coronal mass ejections and would ruin transformers, (2) we depend on power for things like sewage treatment, running water and many other life-supporting infrastructures. The loss of power for days or weeks would be deadly for many Americans.

Astrophysicist Sten Odenwald told Scientific American that not preparing for extreme space weather is unwise. “People are of the mind that because nothing too terrible has happened in the past, that something won’t now.”

www.findingdulcinea.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by adrenochrome
speaking of "blackouts", i came across this map of the supposed upcoming blackout regions in the U.S.:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3886a80effbb.jpg[/atsimg]
www.newscientist.com...

...looks like i'm moving to Flagstaff, AZ afterall - at least they don't fluoridate the water supply there!

hooray Louisiana! I knew there was a reason I live here

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by soultorent

yeah, it seems that no state will go completely unaffected, but i wonder how accurate that chart really is...

as for the "areas of probable power system collapse", what makes the National Academy of Sciences so sure that that's how it's going to be?

do they determine this by looking at our planet's electromagnetic field or something??

how do you predict the structure and temperament of a geomagnetic storm?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Although I am not taken to such Alarmist findings in regards to any issue pertaining to our climate, this Physicist does have one aspect correct, and that is the factor involving our Heliosphere. The Heliosphere is the barrier created around much of our Solar System via the Sun's Magnetic Field, and it protects us from background Gamma Ray Radiation. Recently, there has been detected a decline in this field's size by roughly 25%, which is the lowest point witnessed since monitoring began during the great "Space Race" of the 1950's/1960's.

Now, I say this should cause interest however, NOT alarm. Why? Because more likely than not this is a natural cycle which should be studied, and in order to implement a proper course of Observation, Research, and Analysis, we must have clear heads, and a rational thought process dictating our proceedings towards such.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Ah another front page thread. Well done!
I won't elaborate much here but with all the information available it sometimes seems to be a webbed mess of catastrophe in one way or the other.

God help us?

Nope. Only we can help ourselves, or can we?

Time will tell. S&F.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
there was an article on newscientist.com about the 2012 solar storm a short while ago

may lend it some credibility, but still not 100% if it will really happen or not.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
It's going to be interesting , Venus travels in front of the sun in 2012 and the Sun is apparently going to go through an increased period of activity .
Man I guess we've gone from global cooling, to global worming, to climate change back to global cooling in just 3 decades . Either way the banks are going to get their carbon credits .

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Man i so dont care about climate change anymore.All these conflicting warming/cooling articles just make me more sure no one knows what the hell is going on.So im just going to carry on enjoying my life and if gets warmer great more time at the beach for me, if it gets cooler sweet more time skiing.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Absolutely fascinating! S+F!

It's really a shame that more people are not paying attention to the way things are coming together. Either that or there are some very concerned people at very high levels that are preventing a good deal of information from getting out. It makes sense, we can do nothing about it... so why get people upset?

I can see both sides on that one, but I am very concerned because these scientists are very concerned. Whenever people far smarter than I are upset, I get nervous.

Let's hope "mutations" are cool... and not the death-related kind.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

Eeeeeep! Looks like I'm toast here in New York.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I think the idea that a reduction in the sun magnetic field would cause more cosmic rays to reach the surface of the earth is flawed.
Cosmic rays are basically the nuclei of atoms moving at speeds near the speed of light. They don't come from a single point, like the solar wind, they basically come at us from all directions. While they are charged, and they do get deflected by a magnetic field, it is not the magnetic field of the sun or the earth that protects us from them. It is the atmosphere of the earth that caused each particle to almost always hits an atom high above earth, and becomes transformed into gamma rays and an subsequent chain of radioactive particles that don't do us much damage because there are not that many of them.
The earths magnetic field protects our atmosphere from the solar wind, which is a flow of charged particles moving from the sun out in all directions, but we see it as coming from a point source, not from all directions. Because the flow is coming at us roughly perpendicular to the "magnetic axis" that connects the north and south magnetic poles, and because the solar wind moves way way slower than cosmic rays do, the magnetic field will pull negatively charged particles to the positive pole, and vice versa. If the "magnetic axis" was parallel to the flow, we would get no protection. The particles might get a little slowed or sped up before they hit, but they would still hit. Think about deflecting a punch by pushing your opponents forearm to the side vs. trying to block by putting your palm right in front of your face.
The suns magnetic field may deflect a small percent of cosmic rays that are coming in along the disk of the solar system, but I don't think so. They are much bigger and faster than the solar wind.

The idea that solar storms, or other magnetic storms could cripple the electric grid is valid, as this does happen on a small scale, and could on a larger scale.

I forget what exactly happens if the earth's magnetic field disappears. I know it leads to more radiation, but think this takes some time for the ozone layer to be destroyed, and then anyone who did not spend most of their time underground or underwater gets some unhealthy doses. I know it only takes about 5m or so of water to equal the protection of the atmosphere from UV and cosmic rays. Thats why life flourished on earth in the oceans before oxygen became plentiful, but only colonized land after we got an ozone layer.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azador
Man i so dont care about climate change anymore.All these conflicting warming/cooling articles just make me more sure no one knows what the hell is going on.So im just going to carry on enjoying my life and if gets warmer great more time at the beach for me, if it gets cooler sweet more time skiing.

I think this is the smartest thing anyone can do...enjoy your life...

I know that I can't change any of this. I don't want to be ignorant of what is going on but I am going to keep enjoying this existence..

To what point is the alternative.

Although if I had a choice, I would choose warming over cooling. Where I live there is already too much cold

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
i havent read the article yet, but what about the other countries in the world? all this focus on america. i need to know where might at least be the safest places in the world

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Yes, notice certain high-volume use states like Florida aren't predicted to be hit as severely as South Carolina or New Hampshire.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I thinks some people actually get off on reporting all this gloom and doom
stuff. If it's not about global warming, global cooling, banks running out
of money, ocean levels rising, ice melting then there's no news and nothing
to do.

Anyway...
The Vogons are coming here in 2011 to make us all their slaves by sucking
out our brains and replacing it with their green slime. I for one would like
to welcome our new overloads.

<<   2  3  4 >>