It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surface Water on Mars? (Update: Probably Not)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I did a quick search for this and found plenty of posts about water on Mars but not this one. If it has been posted before then I apologize.

Well here is one I would like to believe, Sadly it was a picture that was "Reconstructed" I have tried searching for a unreconstructed version of this image but could not find any. Maybe somebody here can find it?
That would be cool. If it is water then we can all stop arguing over whether there is standing water at times on the Martian surface or not.

It seems plausible.

Surface Water on Mars? (Update: Probably Not)

Along with fellow Lockheed engineer Daniel Lyddy, [physicist Ron] Levin used images from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory's website. The resulting stereoscopic reconstructions, made from paired images from the Opportunity rover's twin cameras, show bluish features that look perfectly flat. The surfaces are so smooth that the computer could not find any surface details within those areas to match up between the two images.

The imaging shows that the areas occupy the lowest parts of the terrain. They also appear transparent: some features, which Levin says may be submerged rocks or pebbles, can be seen below the plane of the smooth surface.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
WOW
No replies?
Now that is a conspiracy

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Uhhh, that can't be Mars...
there is nothing bathed in pink.

Cheese!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I'm surprised theres no replies either?

Its certainly is very plausible indeed.

Keep looking for the unreconstructed version, i'd definately want to see that before I add anything.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
there's an update on the source page

Update: It looks like Ron Levin didn't do his homework on this. Follow the link Peter Erwin provides in the comments. Short version: the image that Levin processed for his research turns out, when examined in context, to be part of a tilted cliff face, not a horizontal surface -- not a good spot for still water.

too bad , it looked good

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Ah!
Good eye I thought I was thorough apparently I missed that little gem.
I knew it looked too good to be true.
thanks

[edit on 7-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
there are many other pictures from MRO and the other missions like MGS that show pretty clearly water surface in small ponds or dew...

i'm sur eyou all did, but in case you didnt, you should surf www.marsanomalyresearch.com , some of the stuff is a bit extreme, but there is plenty of good evidence, all linked to the original NASA picture pages...

cheers

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Yes, this was posted before, and while some people thought it was water, some thought it was not water.

I posted some photos from that area trying to show why I thought it was not water, but when someone pointed that the "water" was on a slope and it did not moved, it was the end of the discussion.

And I have never seen any Mars photo that shows liquid on the surface.

PS: the information on Mars Anomaly Research is sometimes a little (at least) skewed from the truth, like once when he wrote that he did not used the high quality images because common people could not see them (or something like that), and that was not true.

PPS: I will look for some of those threads.

Edited to add link to one thread about that news. I think there were more at the time.

[edit on 8/4/2009 by ArMaP]

top topics

join