It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concerned resident aims to form armed militia to patrol Stockton

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Concerned resident aims to form armed militia to patrol Stockton

www.recordnet.com

STOCKTON - A retired truck driver and Vietnam War veteran said Monday that he is forming an armed militia - mostly men with rifles and armbands, four to a car - to patrol Stockton this summer, when at least 43 police officers are to be laid off.

Alan Pettet, 66, said he has recruited 18 men, most of whom are ex-military. He said the militia will train at a firing range and "activate" if the city lays off any officer, as it intends by July 1
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I am not at all opposed to this
In fact I'm fairly sure, or optimistic, that they will in fact do a better job than most policemen.

I'll be very interested to see how this plays out

Fillers: What will happen
What will they do
what is going on?

Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired?

www.recordnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I have a feeling this is only the beginning of such scenarios that are headed our way soon.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Would they really do a better job? With no one to report to, no video to document what they actually do and no repercussions for their actions, these people will be able to take the law into their own hands.

Some of them don't like gay people: Well lets find 'em and beat 'em!

Some of them don't like immigrants: We'll round 'em up and deal with it our own way since the government wont!

And the scary possible scenarios can go on. This really worries me.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Hopefully they'll do a better job than the cops are doing.

Problem is, there's absolutely no oversight for these guys (like there's any oversight for trained police officers). Once they screw up and shoot an innocent or something, what happens then? Do they dispense "justice" according to the law or according to their own whims? Are they going to be real policemen or just another street gang?

If they are virtuous, good for them. If they are like most who seek positions of power, then Stockton is screwed.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This is actually what is supposed to happen in our great Republic. That is why I am 100% certain that the federalists will swoop in and put a stop to the "deputized" citizen militia.

Three cheers for patriots who still care about their country on a community level!

Great thread.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Driving around in cars armed? This doesn't sound like a militia. This sounds like a street gang. The potential for disaster looms like a dark specter. Even one imagined racial incident could burn Stockton down, kill innocents and usher in martial law.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Actually your post raised a question for me...

Who dispatches these guys to the scene? Even I can admit a serious potential for danger when different units are showing up on a scene unaware of each other.

Communication would be a major concern.

Random patrol seems a bit like Hitler's brownshirts... I don't know.

Mixed bag on this one.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jkm1864

Easy man, I'm a vet, and I don't know if I'd trust myself trying to do the job cops are paid to.

I agree with the neighborhood watch, but that's just concerned citizens calling the cops when something happens out of the ordinary. No more... Neighborhood watch does not entail armed men.

I think the intent of this guy in Stockton are noble, but the "libs" are kinda right- there are a lot of things to take into consideration.

In the meantime, I'm sure those folks will be keeping their own homes secure for now, at least.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Where do I sign up I'm in Stockton, CA while I was reading this post out loud at work a customer of mine said there was a gun fight outside his house last night. Anyone who hasn't been to Stockton may think this is a bad thing UNTIL you come stay a while.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Law And Order

Just a reminder that strong opinions are fine, but personal attacks and other forms of insults are not and are subject to removal.

Let's please keep it civil and avoid the need to call out the ATS militia.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkm1864
Oh Jeeeezzz I can't believe You dumb ass Liberals whom look for boogey men under every Bush... These are veterans and the guy is 66 don't You think He knows what right and wrong is?

Veterans and 66 just means he was a serviceman and is getting near the age that he will begin to experience errors in judgment. We don't allow people over 60 to fly commericial aircraft for a good reason.

Nope it's been my experience that most people over 50 are more likely to be predjudice. It's also been my experience that most military trained police are the ones that have less regard for human rights for they were trained to slaughter people in wars.

However, I suppose citizen patrols are better than no patrols in high crime areas - better yet I'd rather see everyone armed if it comes to that.

new topics

top topics

join