It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electrical Engineer expects entire global electrical system to collapse!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
"the engineer said.."
"the scientists said.."

It's all BS!

Mate, take a neodymium magnet.. break the surface.. start taking little pieces of the brittle material.. slowly.. come on, take some more.. put all the material you're taking aside somewhere or throw it away..

keep taking material off both ends, and then some from the middle parts..

after a few hours.. the magnetic signature will change undoubtedly would you agree?

it's easy to test and measure

well, now, let's extrapolate that to the earth..

remove tons and tons of iron ore or black sand (magnetite) from some ends, send all to huge steal eaters (i.e. China), create huge empty spaces in the crust by sucking hydrocarbon off in as many places as you can, some people call that liquid "fossil" fuel (hahaha so funny)

keep taking from here, displacing to there.. "en masses" ...tons after tons of materials ..

what happens to the magnetic shape of the globe?

come one mate, it's not hard to guess
it will have strange behavior that the "scientists" can't predict or measure, because it's constantly changing..

it's the time to awake little ones.. let's work-out those brains that mama gave you to come up with better ideas

come on, keep pushing.. the answer is in the question

if you change the way you look at things, the things you look at.. change..

let's stop our dependency on "fossil" fuels (hahahahahahaha)
let's stop our monthly dependency in centrally generated power..

enjoy the reading.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by techieatwork]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I believe this is all based on the theory that we are moving into a denser more energetic place in the galaxy.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
so what exactly is this supposed to be?

transformer is a fairly simple device, you've just got two coils, electrical current from the source passing through the primary coil creates a electromagnetic field around the coil, which induces a current in the secondary coil...

so are we talking about some wierd electromagnetical interference that would disrupt the field around the coils? because that would be far worse than just the transformers. every electromotor, every power plant turbine (all kinds of power plants except the solar ones), pretty much all electromechanical devices work on this very same principle. and they are worrying just about the transformers?

doesn't make sense to me.

imho the story with tsunami flooding the hell is more likely than this

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Transformers of course are not limited to power poles. Almost every piece of electronics you have in your home, TV, computers, etc, use transformers to change the voltage from the 120v coming out of the wall socket down to as little as a few volts for a cell phone charger for example. Here is the basic idea how transformers work:

If the incoming wire (primary current/power from wall) has less turns around the core then the outgoing wire (secondary current/power to your device) has turns around the core it will take the 120v and bring it down to a smaller usable amount. If the incoming wire has more turns then the outgoing wire around the core it will increase the voltage higher then 120v. If the poles do shift the transformer (magnetic iron core) would be reversed you would have 120v+ going into everything plugged into a wall jack frying them instantly.

J

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by arcnaver

The magnetic cloud thing is a bit over my head. Someone told me that the earths core is suppose to shift?? and it will actually reverse the north and south poles.

Something about a polar shift.

Has anyone heard about this?? I may have it mixed up a bit but all 3 factors are there.

I would assume it would have a negative affect on the magnetics somehow.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ranswer

During a geomagnetic storm (as caused by strong solar flares), the magnetic field of the Earth undergoes rapid fluctuations. In the same way a spinning magnet produces current in a generator, these fluctuations induce electrical currents in power transmission lines. The induced currents can be very large (a power surge), at best tripping circuit breakers and at worst literally burning out transformers and generating equipment.

Since the magnetic field extends through the Earth, placing the power lines underground offers no protection.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

The polarity of our electrical system has no relationship to the polarity of the Earth's magnetic field. Nor do the magnets contained in transformers

Besides, the fact is that polarity of your household electrical supply is constantly reversing at the rate of 60hz (in the US) anyway.

[edit on 4/9/2009 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This real does belong in the realm of if, but the realm of when. In 1999 I spoke with an engineer at GRDA, a major midwest power supply company. He told me they fully anticipate large scale, longer term disruptions causes by the sun.

However, most of this would only last a few months. Of course, there would be areas where this would last for years. I think we all need to relax a little. No sense worrying about tomorrow when you might not make through today!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
well for the record, I would like to say it is all bogus, because if it is bogus, I am right, and if it is not bogus, then there won't be any record, will there now.... heheh. Ink

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
"Project Camelot" linked to 2 MSN sources regarding this electrical shutdown on their main page...
www.projectcamelot.org...

Huge Solar Storm Could Shut Down US
Are We Ready for a Solar Katrina?

...they go on to quote the ABC story:

The direct result of a space storm would be the breakdown of the electrical grid, the report warned.

John Kappenman, an analyst with Metatech Corporation, a company that studies the effect of electromagnetic interference on power systems, said in the report that damaged transformers take a long time to repair.

In well-documented cases involving heat failures in the transformers that undergird the power system, he said it has taken 12 months or more to replace the damaged units with new ones.

...add this to the 2012 list, right?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
i read that two of the far outer planets just had magnetic pole shifts - maybe all the planets are having them for some reason (nibiru?).

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Large transformers at plants and substations are encased in metal and grounded to the earth by large conductors which will shunt emf from the outside to ground.

The bigger problem is physical security, although I will feel guilty if I say why then some bored teenager, terrorist or ... RIGHT WING FREAK (lol) trys it.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma

If the incoming wire (primary current/power from wall) has less turns around the core then the outgoing wire (secondary current/power to your device) has turns around the core it will take the 120v and bring it down to a smaller usable amount. If the incoming wire has more turns then the outgoing wire around the core it will increase the voltage higher then 120v. If the poles do shift the transformer (magnetic iron core) would be reversed you would have 120v+ going into everything plugged into a wall jack frying them instantly.

J

Fraid not.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I think there might be truth is in. NASA have sent out a warning, saying that a massive solar storm is on the way and may arrive 2012. Thus storm may be capable of taking large areas off the grid.
Here is a little article in the newscientist about it
www.newscientist.com...
Russian scientists are saying that we are also getting different types of radiation from space and that the way we receive this radiation on the earth has changed.

x

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
ahh and another good website

www.nasa.gov...

time to stash the suncream
x

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I see a lot of misunderstanding of electrical principles here but the basic fears are justified if we were to experience a solar storm similar to the 1859 'Carrington Event' in these days of dependance on reticulated electrical energy. That particular event produced an Aurora Borealis display further south than had ever been seen before.

Transformers in the transmission system have multiple levels of highspeed protection and 'probably' would suffer no damage but the net result would be what we call a 'system black' and there'd be no point in trying to restore the grid until the event was over. Distribution transformers may not fare as well but there's hope for them in that the phase conductors which supply the high voltage side (and the low voltage distribution side) are in parallel so the induced voltage on all phases at any point would be almost identical so no net potential difference to create damaging high currents. Surge diverters (lightning arrestors) on the high voltage side could fail and require replacement delaying the restoration of supply. There's are more remote possibility of some insulators failing as well.

System black conditions are something we try to be prepared for and there are strategies in place for restoring the grid. There are also regular exercises on simulators to make sure operators are familiar with the process as it's not just a matter of simply turning it back on again.
Generators must be restarted and the system built back up very carefully matching capacity to load all the way, re-synchronising islanded areas - a system as large as the US could easily take days to fully restore if there was little to no damage done. Add to that the time for the solar event to subside sufficiently to commence restoration and a minimum time in the dark could be easily something like a week, most likely more.

No water supplies, no sewerage systems, no fuel (requires pumps), no refrigeration for food, virtually no communications, hospitals barely functioning if at all etc - you get the picture.

Not the end of the world but an event to remember.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join