It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famous SciFi Author Tells CETI and METI to STFU & Stop Shouting at Cosmos!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I ran across this recently, and was piqued enough to want to share it .
So concerned with the possible danger that a proposed new array to send signals out into space may pose to our civilization, David Brin, a famous Sci-Fi Author who helped develop the original SETI protocolas set up a site to warn of the implications and help stop the proposed transmissions.
Following is the link to the site and a small excerpt .

""
Recently, several groups, ranging from radio astronomers in Argentina and Russia all the way to the web advertising site Craig's List, have declared that they intend to commence broadcasting high-intensity Messages to ETI... or METI... an endeavor also known at "Active SETI". Their intention is to change the observable brightness of Earth civilization by many orders of magnitude, in order to attract attention to our planet from anyone who might be out there.

Let there be no mistake. METI is a very different thing than passively sifting for signals from the outer space. Carl Sagan, one of the greatest SETI supporters and a deep believer in the notion of altruistic alien civilizations, called such a move deeply unwise and immature. (Even Frank Drake, who famously sent the "Arecibo Message" toward the Andromeda Galaxy in 1974, considered "Active SETI" to be, at best, a stunt and generally a waste of time.)

Sagan — along with early SETI pioneer Philip Morrison — recommended that the newest children in a strange and uncertain cosmos should listen quietly for a long time, patiently learning about the universe and comparing notes, before shouting into an unknown jungle that we do not understand.

Alas. To date, groups that plan to engage in METI have done the opposite, keeping a low profile and avoiding discussion with experts in near-related fields like exobiology, bioastronomy, or evolutionary biology... or even historians who are knowledgeable about human "first-contact". Especially biologists and historians. (For reasons that will become clear.) ""

lifeboat.com...

Perhaps the "squeaky wheel" will get more than just the oil, replacement was always among the options as well.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by Sys_Config]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I think that since the laws of nature are eat or be eaten, it is a horrible idea to just put up a big billboard with an "all you can eat special" in big fat red letters and a picture of a juicy T-Bone on the side. I'm sure most intelligent species are not hostile but what about those that are? What happens if this causes us to get invaded? They aren't thinking!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Quote from the link you provided:

It is naive to assume there is no evil in the universe.

IMO, it is dumb to assume that our concept of good and evil is UNIVERSAL.

I believe, lol, that whoever is able to manage to come to Earth in interstellar spaceship is not only more technologically developed then we are, but also has more advanced society which is capable of recognizing and respecting life beyond their own world

I am in favor of the Earth Interstellar Beacon

Being Sci-Fi author does not make David Brin authority on this issue more then anybody else

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Just studying human behavior and what happens when a more advanced culture meets a more primitive one, it almost universally end up bad. How can these people even begin to assume, that they can even begin to understand a creature they have never observed or imagined will behave??

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
I think that since the laws of nature are eat or be eaten, it is a horrible idea to just put up a big billboard with an "all you can eat special" in big fat red letters and a picture of a juicy T-Bone on the side.

Then we become the "eatees"...get it? (ET's)?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
:LOL: Ah Phage you never cease to amaze me. ETs lol Classic.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I find it very difficult to believ any Alien race would have any interest in us other than a purely academic one.

By the time they can easily reach us (using advanced propulsion) they will almost certainly have mastered the ability to convert matter to energy and vice versa.

Since we know planets with great bodies of water are not rare in our own galaxy - there is really no reason to believe they would come here to exploit our planet or people for resources.

That being said - there is always the smallest chance they would choose to absorb or destroy us as standard operating proceedure - but due to our current leakage of electromagnetic spectrum - it's not like we are really protected from discovery anyway.

However - the amount of evidence is certainly building - that we are currently being observed already - so it's probably a waste of resources to pursue this.

(unlike normal seti - which may still luck out in picking up signals from less technically advanced worlds - or even close by alien vehicles)

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
You have to ask yourself, why we never received anything? Could it be, that all the other civilisations use devices like that?
Excerpt from an Interview with Henry Deacon:
"OK. This may interest you if you have a physics background. You know what signal non-locality is, right? When two particles in different parts of the universe can apparently communicate with each other simultaneously, no matter what the distance. Communications devices have been made for communicating across vast distances and also locally using a methodology that’s impossible to eavesdrop on, because there's nothing traveling between the two devices that can be intercepted. It’s impossible to crack or codebreak or eavesdrop because no signal travels anywhere, so there’s no signal to be intercepted or decoded. It just doesn’t work like that. The beauty of it is that the devices are actually so simple to build. You can create two chaotic circuits, on a couple of small breadboards using cheap components which anyone can buy, and they communicate with each other in this way. You can build these if you know how."

Complete Version at:
project camelot

Besides that, Earth is maybe, one of the brightest spots within the radio frequencies.
Just add this:
3 Billion Mobile Phones amount to a whopping 6 Billion Watt HF Power. Just add another 6 billion for Radar Television, Radio Wireless etc. 12 Billion Watt HF Power. Maybe more. We are an unmissable target in our stellar neighbourhood.

And we should be very concerned about the fact, that 70 lightyears away from earth, they can just watch ugly Worldwar II unfold. What a shame for humanity

[edit on 7-4-2009 by Head Shelton]

[edit on 7-4-2009 by Head Shelton]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
This makes me wonder about how precious Earth would be to a more advanced civilization. True, there may be some who wish to preserve it in its current state but inevitably, there will be others that seek to exploit it's resources for their own use.

I have to agree with Carl Sagan on this one; we should stick to listening-- don't speak unless spoken to first. While there is an expanding sphere of radio transmissions emanating from this planet, I don't see the point in "amping them up".

I'd like to see definitive proof of alien intelligence out there in the cosmos as much as anyone but not at the expense of our own survival. I'd much rather wait for peaceful contact than rush to hasten the death of our world at the hands of a technologically superior civilization.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
ultimatly good cooperative civiliations will be the only thing that survive... in a universe that is old or nearly infinite that would be a point along technological development that would cause self distruction. The good will always be in the vast majority of the technological races. We have nothing to worry about.

The vermin on this planet who hope that their actions will never be seen will speak out from a fear of being brought to justice.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
what if we encounter life forms that are adversely affected by our transmisisons? Say there sanity is affected or something like that, similar maybe to haarp and its alledged side effects.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I can just imagine spotty alien teenagers getting the low down on the history of earth and mankind for their school class trip sometime soon.Anyway i used to run SETI on my computer..but then i started to think it was just a honeytrap and was never going to lead anywhere...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Not an idea I agree with at all.

There is nothing to indicate that anything we would encounter would be either a good thing or a bad thing.

Potentially ringing the dinner bell seems a bit premature.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Head Shelton
Excerpt from an Interview with Henry Deacon:
"OK. This may interest you if you have a physics background. You know what signal non-locality is, right?

That's actually called Quantum Entanglement.

I agree that they would use communications that we may not be able to intercept. Which might be good for us since they might not intercept our communications because they no longer have the equipment for it being long obsolete. I still think this whole thing is a bad idea.

I had a thought, you know how we are trying to expose the NWO?

Have you guys ever thought there might be a NGO?

[edit on 7-4-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, that was brilliant!

Thanks for another one.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Head Shelton

Just to add more sci-fi nerdery into this.

I believe that The "Ansible."

[edit on 2009/4/7 by Aeons]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
recources are infinite.... energy is infinite.... space is infinite. No one wants you damn gold... THE ONLY THING YOU NEED TO DO IS GROW UP!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
When there's a fly buzzing around in the room my first response is not to try and exchange technology with it.

Mike

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Phage

"If" they are out there and intercept our signals and "if" they are more advanced than us then it stands to reason they would be of a higher understanding of the situation than ourselves.

Having said that...

Whose to say that they do not already know we are here. I believe they already know we are here and have been here in our past and present.

The possibility of "Bad" aliens is a very real issue. The mathematical possibility of such alien races cannot be over looked. Whose to say that the vast majority of the "Good" aliens have not already stepped in on our behave which they may have been here in our past and may be the roots to most of the worlds religions and those ancient witnesses wrote down the battles of good vs evil etc.

makes one wonder aye?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

It's almost a new age or liberal idea to think that aliens would be nice and peaceful. Remember the people on the roof of the building on the movie Independence Day?

Just because they may be more advanced then us does not mean they would be peaceful.

Perhaps they would be so advanced, that they would view us as nothing more then cattle, ie. The the way we view cows, etc.

They could be reptilian or insect and think or act nothing like we do.

Just because they have some how figured out how to travel through the universe/reach other planets does not necessarily mean they are smarter. They could just be different somehow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join