It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama + John McCain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Hello everyone,
I'm an Aussie and I heard something on the news today that made me think NWO.

I heard on an Australian morning talk show that Obama is taking steps to "consolidate" (my words) with the opposing party. (as in, become buddy buddy with the John McCain team). Forgive me for not knowing much about US politics.

I'm not sure what this might mean and apologies for not finding any similar topics. It just seemed off that the President would want to be mates with the opposing "team" as they're meant to work against each other to find successful solutions, not be friends and agree on everything :S

Edited to add: the news team seemed to think this was very positive. I don't know anything much about politics but to me it feels "wrong'.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by Vilyariel]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
In my limited British perspective of US politics, I've heard a lot about the 'two-party system' - ie Democrats and Republicans being the only people worth bothering with come election time across the pond.

Therefore, if Obama - a Democrat - is willing to 'consolidate' (which to myself means much the same as 'merge') - with Republican John McCain (etc), then would that lead to the creation of a 'One-party system'?

In other words, the illusion of "Democracy" (the USA is really a Republic, something people who live there seem to forget regularly) has just got a bit weaker, and the USA is headed towards a totalitarian, authoritarian nation?

In laymans terms - an absolute despotism. Dictatorship.
I hope to whatever's out there that this doesn't spread, otherwise we're all screwed big time.

My gut feeling is telling me it could well do, however.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vilyariel
"consolidate" (my words) with the opposing party.

I haven't heard that term. If that were the case then it would indeed by a one party system. What you are probably thinking of is that the press keeps saying Obama is bipartisan .. meaning that he wants to work hand in hand with the republicans. This, of course, is nonsense. But that's the illusion that the Obama enraptured press want people to think.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Being in America and paying close attention to politics, it is easy to see this is a classic Obama tactic... Say one thing and do the exact opposite. He has shown absolutely no bipartisanship since his election. Almost every bill that has been passed has had very little support from the republican party. And the very little republican support he has received are from so called "moderates" who simply call themselves republicans, but don't hold true their values. What Obama means by "consolidate" is to have the remaining republicans start to obey his orders like his blind sheep democrats.

-E-

[edit on 7-4-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Citizens should have a strong well defined Opposition party to keep the ones in Office honest and also to offer a viable alternative come election time.

If it becomes too bipartisan, then people who oppose the governments policies no longer have Representatives to hear their voice and act upon it.
That is what they are elected to do. To represent their constituents.
To do less, is to betray the confidence of those who voted for them.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by Flighty]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vilyariel
Hello everyone,
I'm an Aussie and I heard something on the news today that made me think NWO.

Forgive me for not knowing much about US politics.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by Vilyariel]

Dont' apologize, most Americans struggle to keep up with American politics. It is an extremely complicated animal. Two party system but the ins and outs are brutal.

In fact, I dont' believe there is one person who could ever understand it totally, which is why the president needs a large administration and team of advisors.

As far as the Obama meeting with McCain. I think this is a good thing. Obama wanted to cross party lines and alleviate bipartisanship.
McCain is more of a moderate republican,so he would be a good person to start with.

I like McCain on a personal level. I think he is a good guy who stands to his ideals. I think he has no problem going against party ideals if he thinks it is best.

I also think it is a good thing if members of both parties work together to get past all the partisan bs.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by selfisolated
In my limited British perspective of US politics, I've heard a lot about the 'two-party system' - ie Democrats and Republicans being the only people worth bothering with come election time across the pond.

It is because the two reigning parties have made sure that third parties have a very hard time entering the system.
Just about downright impossible. and it should be illegal in my book. All parties should be considered. Other parties that try to make it in is libertarian, green, independent, and a few others. a third party candidate has to get a significant amount of votes.

The party system is no where in teh Us Constitution. It was not designed that way by the founding fathers, but the party system started getting into place by the second presidency. For the same reasons they are instilled today. There are two different groups with tow different agendas trying to get elected.

Since the two party sysem has been instilled so long, the idea has to slowly sink in that a third party is acceptable, But americans can kind of be resiliant to change, and we like to do things carefully, and are just a little afraid of trying an unknown party.

Since both have long track records and histories, we can use that information to decide.But that is hard to do with a brand new party.

But people are warming up to it. The two parties have turned everyone off so badly that people think change is needed, and that the parties are corrupt and no longer have the interests of the American people.

I do apologize for my overseas friends for having to deal or hear about our politics at all.

new topics

top topics

join