It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - KURIL ISLANDS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Magnitude 7.0 - KURIL ISLANDS

earthquake.usgs.gov

Magnitude 7.0
Date-Time

* Tuesday, April 07, 2009 at 04:23:34 UTC
* Tuesday, April 07, 2009 at 04:23:34 PM at epicenter

Location 46.141°N, 151.420°E
Depth 39.1 km (24.3 miles)
Region KURIL ISLANDS
Distances 295 km (180 miles) ENE of Kuril'sk, Kuril Islands
615 km (380 miles) SW of Severo-Kuril'sk, Kuril Islands, Russia
1515 km (940 miles) NE of TOKYO, Japan
7140 km (4440 miles) NE of MOSCOW, Russia
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 9.3 km (5.8 miles); depth +/- 13.8 km (8.6 miles)
Parameters NST=166, Nph=166, Dmin=730.3 km, Rmss=0.7 sec, Gp= 50°,
M-type=teleseismic moment magnitude (Mw), Version=6
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2009fdak
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This just happened... Does anyone know anything about this area... is that big enough for a tsunami... or is this just another big quake nobody feels

West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center
Latest Event
Most Recent Event IconTsunami Information Statement (high) - Tsunami Information Statement (high)
near the Kuril Islands, Russia 2009/04/07 04:23:37 (UTC)
Preliminary Magnitude: 6.8
Latitude: 46.0 Longitude: 151.6
907821 1

Please click here to see the area-of-responsibilty (AoR)
for the WC/ATWC and the PTWC.

earthquake.usgs.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
For the islands en.wikipedia.org...

In 2006 they had a 8.3 that caused 5 foot tsumani waves reaching California

The Kuril Islands form part of the ring of tectonic instability encircling the Pacific ocean referred to as the Ring of Fire. The islands themselves are summits of stratovolcanoes that are a direct result of the subduction of the Pacific Plate under the Okhotsk Plate, which forms the Kuril Trench some 200 km east of the islands. The chain has around 100 volcanoes, some 40 of which are active, and many hot springs and fumaroles. There is frequent seismic activity, including an earthquake of magnitude 8.3 recorded on November 15, 2006, which resulted in tsunami waves up to 5 ft reaching the California coast.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
No, I haven't heard about this! I will keep a check on that. Great find! Keep us posted.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I'm out in Eastern Hokkaido today, and I felt it. Nothing out of the ordinary, though. The Tv news said it was a 6.6, and that's what yahoo.jp has it listed as. When I checked the usgs site it was there as well, but it looks like it's been upgraded.

This is, believe it or not, perfectly normal for the Kurils. That area gets about 4 quakes over 6.9 per year.

No tsunami warning has been issued as far as I know. the sirens would be going if that were the case.

I'd be surprised if there's any damage from this one. The islands near the epicentre are pretty much uninhabited, and the population centres that were affected are pretty used to large quakes, as I mentioned. Buildings that aren't built to take quakes don't last very long out here. It's kind of an architectural "survival of the fittest".

Summary: Yep. It was a quake. No Worries.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I saw that too

www.emsc-csem.org...

It was posted in that Italy EQ thread. If you watch something long enough it changes. Are we watching too much?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center reports NO Tsunami expected. The 6.8 quake was at 9:24 pm pacific daylight time 4/6/09

WEST COAST AND ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER

[edit on 7-4-2009 by timewalker]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
thats a big one. imagine if something like that had it italy, could hav been much worse.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I thought about creating this thread but I saw someone had already posted about it in the Quake Watch thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

The magnitude has been revised...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackhatchet
The magnitude has been revised...

I wouldn't be surprised if it's upgraded once more. The Japanese quake data still has it as a 6.6. USGS had it as a 6.7, then a 7.0, now revised again as more data starts comes in.

Here's an interesting link - quakes in the area from 1990 - present:

neic.usgs.gov...

See what I mean about the area being used to quakes?

new topics

top topics

join