It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US gives 50,000 dollars for quake-hit Italy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

is this a joke??!?!?! $50,000?!? you gotta be taking the P**s

all the money they spent on useless banks but when a country suffers a tragedy only $50,000?

$50,000 will probably fund about.. an half hour of searching...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

or reinvade Anzio

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
My God. we are the most hated country in the world according to many post. I'm personally tired of the giving and giving in Africa, South America and other 3rd world and industrialized countries in the world that take the money and spit back in our faces. We even give aid to North Korea and other very anti-American countries.

You hate us so much then put you're grubby hands back into you pocket. Next time were invited late to a world war, keep Japan and Germany instead of giving the country back to the citizens, I'm so sick of the liberals. Even though they are made cheaper overseas now, give back our movies, tennis shoes, music, computers and operating systems, microwave ovens , medicines and cures, all that we keep secret from the world. We don't share or care about the rest of the world, thats why we are hated. Maybe we should open up a little like the rest of the good guys in the world and prove that we give a damn.

or maybe we should just concentrate on ourselves for a change and let the others bask in their self righteous glory. It might be a better worls after all.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dcmb1490

Do you actually think for one second that we are providing aid to Africa etc with no strings? I don't think so buddy.

All the aid has strings attached....the countries take on more debt, they can't pay it off, we take their natural resources and hey presto, another nation in perpetual servitude to the banks

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Why should the United States help Italians?
They made a (choice) to (live in a place with earthquakes) and if they want more money they should get a job...

Spending my hard earned tax $$$$ on people who may or may not be lazy

Couldn't resist

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Oh the irony. Other countries hate us when we get into their affairs but still hate us when we give money out in AN ECONOMICAL RECESSION!. Get over it. Lucky they got anything. Funny how you guys forget about the millions upon millions of dollars U.S. gave the tsunami victims and the nations of Africa. MILLIONS. Italy is an industrialized and well-developed country. They're lucky they got anything. It was just a nice gesture.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Like all countries, America should and foremost try to take care of its own before they send aid to anyone. To think that there's still homeless people here in America and hundred's of thousands of people without jobs right now in America and we still give something ( however redundant the amount was ) and you people scratch at our heels wanting more. It's pathetic.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by MegaBears]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I mean it sounds like a misprint on the White House's end, :-). no govt. is going to be that stupid and insensitive. Not to mention that it looks really dumb to offer an amount that won't even pay for gas to fly in relief supplies.
The dollar is weak but not that weak!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
It is a disgrace, probably put together by the guy that organised the dvd's for brown & an ipod for the queen.

Although to be fair the usa do give around $6 million a day to israel & spend $1.7 billion a day on its military.

obviously Italy is in the wrong place.

www.ifamericansknew.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

$50,000 is just an acknowledgment that we care. Italy does not need this aid. I'd say it was an appropriate gesture.

No nation on earth gives as much as we do. If people don't think that is enough, they are not worth the bother. Reminds me of the mentality of Welfare Families who complain about what they get and demand more. No good deed goes unpunished.

We could help them more with advice on building standards. An earthquake of that magnitude would not bring a single building down in a community with proper building codes. It makes me wonder why Italy has not adopted even decades old standards?

The Great Alaskan Earthquake of 1964 left most buildings standing and did less damage. It was hundreds of times more powerful and the construction standards were not all that up to date. What does that say about the standards there? Even ancient building can be retro-fitted and you sure don't live inside one that can't.

The Government responsible for enforcing the standards in Italy should have their feet held to the fire on this and share blame for the destruction and death. Surely they were aware of the danger posed.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Any excuse to bash America right?

Did ANY of you bother to read any of the posts about the US aid policy? Or the aid that was turned down?

US policy is to ALWAYS give a token amount at first, until there is a better idea of what is needed after which more is sent. Early in the disaster it's too easy for any money sent to disappear or be used for something else.

After the tsunami the US pledged what most people bashed as a pathetic $34 million in aid when it was obvious that a LOT more would be needed. NOT counting military aid, or relief efforts, the final total of donations by the US was $857 million dollars.

I'm sure that once there is a better idea of WHAT Italy will need a LOT more will be sent by the US.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cropmuncher

How much did you give? Just saying? Whenever there is a major event, I do what I can afford. Do you?

Id rather give through non-governmental agencies. You will find Americans will give plenty if you add in the donations through Charities. More than the citizens of any country on earth in fact.

Perhaps you folks should go after the countries who give nothing and the people who give nothing? Take that log out of your own eyes so to speak.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I'm surprised Italy is getting any money at all, seeing how it is a fully developed industrial nation that is part of the EUROPEAN UNION and a member of the EUROZONE. In otherwords, a country rich enough, and with enough surrounding allies and a part of a multinational confederation, that foreign aid is not necessary at all.

If it were say, a very poor country in the third world, then yes, 50,000 is a joke. But Italy is wealthy enough, as is the EU, that any foreign aid at all is unecessary.

I'm really surprised at some of the ignorance displayed here. Giving Itally millions or billions would be like, um, giving the Rockerfellers money.

They don't need it, it's a token gesture.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
might have been told but saddam hussien gave millions in aid when 9/11 happend,
and bush refused....

MBF

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I think they should take a few of those million dollar bonuses from the CEO's and give to them.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

They made a (choice) to (live in a place with earthquakes) and if they want more money they should get a job...

oh for god's sake...

No one "chose" to knowingly live on volatile tectonic plates and endanger their lives.

When the precursor to the Italian state was founded, plate tectonics and the causes of Earthquakes were not at all understood and no precautionary measures were taken.

Just like every other Earthquake prone region in the world.

Spending my hard earned tax $$$$ on people who may or may not be lazy

Are you kidding? More than 50% of your nation is obese, a world first.

Please re-think that sentence.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Threads like this just incite more international hatred. Personally I think the US shouldn't have given anything, just like everywhere else. Why should they support the world? Same with Iraq... yeah, supposedly Obama...er Osama attacked us and what has been gained? the Iraqi "freedom"? wtf... it's all a game.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
hi
i'm writing you from Italy, the country where I live, in Turin

I've registered to your board after reading this 3ad, i feel you "need" our point of view...

the 50k are not a problem, most of the italians appreciate it as a "token", a sort of "hey, we're with you!"

what we'll probably need is something different: maybe in the re-construction phase some more experts to coordinate the job, to help recovering the heritage buildings and churchs
there's so much works to do...

about our Government, I prefer to overlook....
We probably have what we deserve....

if you want some more news or info or opinion, please ask!
forgive me about my english, but, you know, i'm italian....

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Some Italians have said that they don't need outside help they can do it them selves anyway. But on the otherside of the arguments if this story is true you might get angry at how America splashes its money out and says its in a recession.

pakistaniat.com...

US President Barak Obama has just laid out his new strategy for Afghanistan and Pakistan. He says he wants to build a new people-centered and development-centered relationship with Pakistan. Including through a commitment to invest 1.5 billion dollars per year for next five years in development initiatives in Pakistan.
Text

digg.com...

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration plans to seek as much as $3 billion over the next five years to train and equip Pakistan's military, and is considering sending 10,000 more troops to battle the Taliban in Afghanistan, defense officials said Wednesday.
Text

This is what another poster said in that forum if you follow the link which is quite funny to read and people here might relate to.

Quote:
Hey Mr. President, how about you try to fix the problems in your own country before you try to "save" the planet?

Quote:
There you go..more funds to extremist. Well, this is what happen till date. When Pakistan has no stable government who is going to take the responsibility for proper usage of these funds? politicians? their army? or their ultimate extremist?

because of such funds Pakistan built nuclear weapons and ultimately other countries worry just because these weapons could be accessible to the Pakistan extremist

Text

[edit on 8-4-2009 by The time lord]

[edit on 8-4-2009 by The time lord]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Is this not the most pathetic display of sympathy in the history of mankind?

What an insult! Damn! Obama is in Europe at the time of this earthquake trying to reestablish relationships and he spits in their face at the same time.

Hell! Everyone says that the Europeans hated the Bush administration.

With this stunt from the Obama administration, the Bush administration would seem to be any Europeans' best friend.

Obama!
What a cheap son of a bitch!

[edit on 8/4/09 by Intelearthling]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join