It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US gives 50,000 dollars for quake-hit Italy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Bernard Louchner, the French foreign minister, has offered Italy "any assistance they need to address the situation".

C’est avec une profonde émotion et une grande tristesse que j’ai appris les dramatiques conséquences du séisme qui a frappé le centre de l’Italie, causant la disparition de très nombreuses personnes et faisant de nombreux blessés. Je transmets toutes mes condoléances aux familles des victimes et à leurs proches. Je tiens à assurer le peuple et les responsables italiens de l’amitié et de la solidarité de la France dans cette épreuve douloureuse. La France se tient à la disposition des autorités italiennes afin d’apporter toute l’aide dont elles exprimeraient le besoin pour faire face à la situation.

Quai d'Orsay

I think your anti-French sentiment is simply getting the better of you.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
$50,000.00
What an insult as said above.

Is the United States that broke?
Or do they generally not give a damn about Italy.

Italy is one of the EU & Worlds worlds biggest/wealthiest economies/countries.. It doesn't need help to deal with this problem.

Does noone else see that this is just a ceremonial process? As in.. sorry to hear about your problems.. we have your back.. blaa blaa blaa

Similar to the way that everyone who was friendly with the US gave between 10's of millions to hundreds of millions of dollars to help the aid for and rebuilding of New Orleans.

If the US wanted to insult Italy, it'd probably just bomb Naples or something

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
Shouldn't the Vatican ( actually in Italy and in the Rome) be putting their hands in their pockets to help support the people , Oh no silly me, I shouldn't be saying that.
After all they ARE the richest corporation in the world and own most land . but of course they don't actually want to help people, just control them.

FFS

Do you have any evidence to show that the Vatican aren't going to be giving any help/money etc?

Or are you just going to spout a load of generation x nonsensical cynicism that doesn't actually make any sense if you look at the history of the Vatican's philanthropic handouts?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

On page 3 I addressed the Catholic Church's contribution to the disaster. I think it is the 2nd to the last post on that page.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
Italy is one of the EU & Worlds worlds biggest/wealthiest economies/countries.. It doesn't need help to deal with this problem.

I'm glad you're not the ruler of a country.

50,000 is a shocking figure, the people of America should be ashamed - especially some individuals on this thread who don't realise how much aid America has received in times of need. Let TPTB know you're unhappy!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Yet I'm sure some of you are dying to blame this on Bush somehow. But you can't, and it just kills you doesn't it???

Just remember, this happened on Obama's watch.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I can understand people's feelings on the US always sending money to other countries. It bothers me the amounts we send elsewhere - especially to countries who dont appreciate it.

However, this is a horrible tradegy that occured to so many innocent people. Helping is something we should do in events such as this.

And I too hate all the money Obama has spent on bailing out people who dont deserve it. And I too feel horrible for all the people in the US who have been laid off, lost their homes, etc. And think all the bail out money should have been put towards these people.

However, how can anyone with a heart look at this tragic event and say America should not offer help/support?

And $50K is NOT alot. Hopefully more will be offered. But in the grand scheme of things, its not a lot.

[edit on 4/7/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I used to defend American's right and left here.

I'm done with that.

Oh if it wasn't for the censors what I'd say...

peace

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
I used to defend American's right and left here.

I'm done with that.

Oh if it wasn't for the censors what I'd say...

peace

Why would you blaim AMERICANS? Us Americans have nothing to do with this. It is not the people who made this decision. It is Obama and company. Blame them.

Most Americans are embarassed by this and would help more if possible.

[edit on 4/7/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

So then why did everyone (including a lot of EU members) pitch in and give aid to the United States during 9/11 and Katrina when America is the world's largest economy and has one of the highest GDP's?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Gouki

That is what i was gonna say. 100 dead adn 1500 injured. 50k is enough.

Now if we had given more, everyoen would be on here blabbering about how the government is throwing money away.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief
I'm glad you're not the ruler of a country.

50,000 is a shocking figure, the people of America should be ashamed - especially some individuals on this thread who don't realise how much aid America has received in times of need. Let TPTB know you're unhappy!

Im just saying, everyone is giving out about the 50k figure and all i am saying is that its more of a ceremonial figure at this stage.. Its not like this is after happening in a third world country or anything...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira

So then why did everyone (including a lot of EU members) pitch in and give aid to the United States during 9/11 and Katrina when America is the world's largest economy and has one of the highest GDP's?

Wasn't the US in a ridiculous amount of debt with an economy that was teetering on the edge of collapsing while in the middle of a never ending war with a borderline fascist dictator at the helm at that stage?
Sounds like they needed all the help they could get..

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
OK, can we end this? Here is the poop:

Congress must formally approve any foreign aid in excess of $100,000 by a majority vote. Period.

The State Department, using it's own discretionary funds, can immediately issue up to $50,000 in aid to another country. That number doubles to $100,000 if the nation in question requests the funds directly (which Italy declined to do).

In other words........until Congress knows just what's going on AND the Italians gives us an idea of their needs.....no big money is rolling out of the US until there is a VOTE on it.

The money is from emergency slush funds maintained by State to provide immediate assistance and show good faith. If the Italians want/need more money, we will surely lend a hand.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
OK, can we end this? Here is the poop:

Congress must formally approve any foreign aid in excess of $100,000 by a majority vote. Period.

The State Department, using it's own discretionary funds, can immediately issue up to $50,000 in aid to another country. That number doubles to $100,000 if the nation in question requests the funds directly (which Italy declined to do).

In other words........until Congress knows just what's going on AND the Italians gives us an idea of their needs.....no big money is rolling out of the US until there is a VOTE on it.

The money is from emergency slush funds maintained by State to provide immediate assistance and show good faith. If the Italians want/need more money, we will surely lend a hand.

Thanks for providing that information. I didnt even know this. I feel a little better now about the entire situation!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Apparently, the phrase "Counting the teeth of gift horse" is not popular with the folks here ?
$50k or $5 doesnt really matter does it ? All that matter is that you give. Also, Italy already is capable of financing a recovery program to rebuild, it doesnt really need American money to help it do so. Any true help would be in people and expertise the US could lend.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I am just curious if any of those that are complaining or are "embarrassed" have made any donations to this cause yet?

You know, the Red Cross is on scene, and would be more than willing to accept donations to help out those in need.

Its kind of hypocritical to judge, and do nothing at the same time.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Oh man, what the "H" has happened to my country? obams blows trillions on a budget, trillions more on bailouts an the best this clown can do is $50,000.00 to Italy?!! Only $50,000.00??!! I swear, what more proof do we need that his main goal is to destroy our country, I mean, it's one insult after another with this boob.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Pyros

Couldn't have said it better myself. Not to mention the Italian govt. has declined any other assistance at this time. If they wanted us to bring people in to help, all they would need to do is ask. We all know how the US responds to crisis when asked. We would respond just as everyone responded to Katrina.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Pyros

Thank you Pyros for the *whole story*.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join