It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US gives 50,000 dollars for quake-hit Italy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

US gives 50,000 dollars for quake-hit Italy

www.breitbart.com

Rescuers search victims in the rubble of the old city of the Abruzzo capita...

Update: 100,000 Left Homeless in Central Italy in 6.3-Magnitude Quake’s Wake

The United States said Monday it would donate 50,000 dollars in emergency aid to Italy after a powerful earthquake killed at least 100 people.

"We send our heartfelt condolences to the families of those killed in the earthquake. Our embassy in Rome will provide 50,000 (dollars) in emergency relief funding," State Department spokesman Robert Wood told reporters.

Italian authorities told the United States they did not need rescue teams, Wood said.

President Barack Obama earlier offered his condolences on a visit to Turkey and voiced hope that the United States could send rescuers.

The earthquake killed at least 100 people and injured 1,500 more as it reduced medieval buildings to rubble in the central town of L'Aquila.

Wood said there were no reports of US citizens among the dead or injured but that the US embassy in Rome was reaching out to Americans living in the region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
economictimes.indiatimes. com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Huge earthquake strikes Italian heart

[edit on 4/6/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Well, I am flabbergasted! $50,000 sounds like nothing compared to all the billions/trillions in bailouts/stimulus and whatever else it is we are throwing money at these days. Granted, we don't have any real money to give anybody, but that doesn't seem to make a difference when it comes to our own economy where it's seems no dollar amount is too large. I can think of no better word than stingy at this point in time. I am truly ashamed.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

If I were the italians , i tell them to stuff their 50k

thats an insult , after bailing out hundreds of billions

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Seany]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Well I have nothing, I really mean nothing to say about this...

Really nothing....

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
so after inflation . . . that is like enough for a pack of cigs for everyone injured?

Pathetic.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
$50,000.00
What an insult as said above.

Is the United States that broke?
Or do they generally not give a damn about Italy.

Or have the bankers hamstrung the US,

'' thats our money now, dont give them a dime! ''

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I'm sorry, $50,000 isn't going to even replace one single- family dwelling. This is just ridiculous. Who came up with this amount, Geithner? I really would like to know who made this decision to make U.S.A. such a tightwad

[edit on 4/6/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
Well I have nothing, I really mean nothing to say about this...

Really nothing....

I do: Give me the $50,000 since some here fail to have realized that something is better than nothing.

At any rate, when was the last time Italy or anyone else gave anything for any natural disaster that happened over here in the U.S.? Yeah, I thought so. You all go a. and "be ashamed," I will be awaiting that $50,000 check...

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I just had this conversation with someone earlier and I am absolutely embarassed by this!

It has to be a joke - *har har har* - we really meant $50 Million, not thousand. *Har Har*

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Aren't the feds feeling a little overgenerous these days?

I really hope we don't have a disaster soon and need the help of the Italians.

link   
Hard to believe that this is all the US can pony up.

If this is the future trend, Obama will find it difficult for the rest of the world to respect us.

link   
reply to post by Seekerof

Is that your attempt at trying to justify or accept this?
Surely you realise you dont have to accept everything to be patriotic.

*Snip*

edit:

Your right, here's how much you valued Italy's AID for Katrina

State Department officials anguished over whether to tell Italy that its shipments of medicine, gauze and other medical supplies spoiled in the elements for weeks after Katrina's landfall on Aug. 29, 2005, and were destroyed. "Tell them we blew it," one disgusted official wrote. But she hedged: "The flip side is just to dispose of it and not come clean. I could be persuaded."

www.washingtonpost.com...

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Agit8dChop]

Mod Edit: Civility And Decorum Are Required on AboveTopSecret.com

[edit on Tue, 07 Apr 2009 12:58:03 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Hey, maybe if Italy owned one of our $%^& banks, they would have received.........a few more dollars

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
If I recall.
We usually give a small amount up front, for immediate use. no strings, and it's probably a "slush fund" type of accounting method.

Later, when there is more clarity. A larger amount is issued.
Giving huge amounts up front can lead to all kinds of misappropriation, and temptation.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

thats good,
Elation shows your character!
clearly you feel Italy deserves nothing after a natural disaster, even though they gave you aid after Katrina.
Id say typical American, but im sure some are disgusted with your mentality at times.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
How many millions did they give after the Tsunami of Dec 2004? This is pretty low, I guess Italy got on Obama's bad side.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
They'd better make a gesture in material help[giving blood or whatever], they don't need money after all Italy is member of the EU family and we take good care of each other..

link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
thats good,
Elation shows your character!
clearly you feel Italy deserves nothing after a natural disaster, even though they gave you aid after Katrina.
Id say typical American, but im sure some are disgusted with your mentality at times.

Can you please get with the Obama Administration and either get them to send me the $50,000 or have them ask China for it? Thank you.

link   

The U.S. has a long record of offering aid to countries in need. I don't care if other countries never offered us a candy bar. We have many resources and even though we are in tough times we still can to better than this. If you want to have a friend, be a friend.

I sure hope private charities pitch in and pick up the slack.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join