It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prophecies Are Nothing But Cries For Attention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Who thinks the prophecies being spread here are a bunch of lies raise your hand. (raises hand) One thing prophecies have in common with those who tell them is the person probably has no friends and is trying too hard to get accepted.

I thought this place denied ignorance? Spreading around prophecies is ignorant. There is a very good chance they won't come true because humans can't tell the future yet. Those who think they can are just trying to get noticed.

Why do we allow the lies of prophecies here?
You are allowing ignorance to spread with prophecies.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

Well that would be your opinion friend.

The reason why we allow such things to go on is very simple. Some people (including myself) have a very deep rooted connection to our spirits and sometimes those experiences can be seen as prophecies or visions of some calamity to come.

Why is spreading the human condition, spreading ignorance?

Have you ever had a vision, or been spoken to by a higher being? (and I don't mean God)

If not, then you truly dont' know if anybody can see the future or if these prophecies are wrong. I will agree that most are in fact people who just have weird dreams and chalk them up to fear mongering nonsense.

However there have been legitimate cases of these things happening and the predictions coming true. Bashing a whole section of personnal growth and spiritual based ideas is not the way to move forward as a society.

We must embrace the odd and any new ideas that will come up. There is no such thing as a bad idea until somebody pays attention to it and actually gives you a reason as to why it is not a good idea.

If we simply shun these things under the rug, we are being ignorant and close minded. Therefore we would be the one spreading the ignorance.

Not our cup of tea.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Are you talking about people who flat out say, i have spoke with god (or who ever) and he/she/it told me this or that is going to happen.

or are you talking about just general theories people share on here on what they think could happen next, because i think there's a big difference there.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by dkman222]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I enjoy reading prophecies.

The way I look at it is that somebody is going to be right one of these days. It could be tomorrow, or next year. Who knows for sure?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Prophecy is more than just a cry for attention, its like a magnet for the fearful and insecure.

People are afraid, they are unsure of the future and they want someone to tell them what to do to save themselves from future calamities. So these "prophets" play upon the fears of the people and make a quick buck. Some of them truly believe they are doing good and I imagine some of them truly believe they've been contacted by spirits/God/etc and while I don't 100% rule out the idea of being contacted by the supernatural (heck, I'd love to have a conversation with God, He has some explaining to do) I really don't put much faith in the idea of predicting the future.

I've always been one to believe that the future is unwritten and am very skeptical of prophets, preachers, saints, saviors, and messiahs. Especially these new age theories that use psuedo-science and supposed "ancient wisdom" to weave their seductive web of silliness... Like Scientology and other cults, just a whole lot of silliness designed to take advantage of people (much like other more major religions)...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
There's plenty of evidence that prophecy is real if you are willing to look into it.

911 Warning

The problem is when presented with such evidence people ignore it, even violently oppose it. People want to pretend such evidence doesn't exist even on a forum such as this. A sure way to shut down a discussion or get banned, as I have been in the past, is to post such evidence in a discussion about prophecy.

The above evidence (and there's plenty more available) should be posted by every FM every time anyone dares to question whether prophecy is real, but I doubt that will happen until major media starts mentioning the warning.

People prefer to believe what they want to believe and will ignore any evidence that shatters their beliefs. I've seen it happen a hundred of times before on this forum.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Just a reminder:
On ATS --
You don't have to participate.
It is purely voluntary.

I am generally skeptical, but the truth is, you never know.

Denying ignorance is about learning things you had not imagined, exploring possibilities however remote or uncomfortable, and confronting the unknown head on. There is much to learn here.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
prophecies like information can be used by people both for good and for gain....
There are plently spiritual people who claim prophecies...do they always happen? no...are they always wrong? guess it depends on the situation
Then theres people who use such abilities for fear ongering or spin uch like our newstations...

or perhaps its the idea that no future is set in stone...perhaps the events up till the prophecy would seem to lead us into the particular future the event being described takes place in....and then maybe something after a prediction is made changes or something happens because everything gives a reaction to something and so forth....
Im not to sure....I guess its better to not live in the future but rather live in the moment in either case

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I think there's definitely an element of attention-seeking, trolling or hoaxing. That's not to undermine a very human and natural need though. Whilst undoubtedly some of these prophecies and claims are 'for the LULZ', I think some are driven by a fairly serious subconscious need and the perpetrators are as much a victim as anyone else.

There's also the monkeys typing Shakespeare angle too. If there's a lot of (sincere) prophets making a lot of prophecies and those prophecies are vague and 'open' enough, then it's inevitable that it's going to look like there's some positive results. Statistically, it's tipped that some of it will eventually come true.

I've never been keen on the 'riddle' or vague aspect of many prophecies. I appreciate any notion that often prophets are predicting events or things beyond their comprehension (particularly if there's technology involved and the event is said to be in the future) and therefore must be open to interpretation, but the interpretation will always be an issue. What one person sees in a chunk of text won't always be what another person sees and, years after the death of a prophet, who is to say that any interpretation is the right one?

I'm not prepared to rule out all prophecies though.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I'll raise both hands to that

Throughout history, some people get an urge to make claims that they somehow know something unknowable. God told them, aliens told them, angels or demons told them. The internet has provided a massive audience and forum for these guys. Has there EVER been a prophecy come true? Don't go throwing in the 'Ides of March' or any biblical accounts...I mean in the last hundred years where we can actually see the date the prophecy was made and check the outcome. When I've looked previously, I couldn't find one. I call shenanigans on 'prophets.'

Attention seeking, delusional, mentally ill, limited intelligence, liars, hoaxers? Any of these could explain what makes someone want to claim to see the future. They all fail and yet still, more and more 'prophecies' continue to be made

new topics

top topics

join