It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESA Goce Gravity satellite switched on

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Europe's innovative Goce satellite has switched on the super-sensitive instrument that will make ultra-fine measurements of Earth's gravity. The sophisticated gradiometer will feel the subtle variations in Earth's tug as it sweeps around the globe. The spacecraft has also fired up the British-built engine that will help maintain its orbit. Goce needs tiny but continuous levels of thrust to keep it stable and prevent it from falling out of the sky. European Space Agency (Esa) mission manager Rune Floberghagen said all systems on the spacecraft had now been activated following the launch from Russia last month.

BBC

Found this interesting. I had no idea that we possessed the technology to fine tune gravity. Is it possible that something may go wrong?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Found this interesting. I had no idea that we possessed the technology to fine tune gravity. Is it possible that something may go wrong?

Fine tune gravity? I think the machine will measure gravity. With the new tech it can most likely pick up very fine differences in gravity on different parts of the globe.

I do wonder sometimes if gravity fluctuates drastically at any point on earth, say like 5 or 10 percent more more or less. Then the satellite could point it out and a group could travel to that location and see if they could jump any higher than before.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Gouki

The satellite measures gravity.
Measures.

new topics

join