It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travelers - Where are They?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
If we will invent time travel at some point in the future, why is nobody visiting us?

Are they invisible? ARE they in fact visiting us, and there's just no proof of it?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
You answered your own question.

Why is nobody visiting us. No proof. Could they be invisible.

Then it hits you, you become 99.9999% sure there are no time travelers.

We all know what happened last time they tried to proof a being by remarking it was invisible.....

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
It's possible.

Some of theory goes that time travelers could not arrive in a time before time machines had been invented. The relatively famous instances (John Titor & Andrew Carlssin) that made it into the news have largely been debunked as hoaxes or pranks.

Still fun to imagine though. One school of thought is that they would show up as tourists to view cataclysmic events.

What do you think?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
You answered your own question.

Why is nobody visiting us. No proof. Could they be invisible.

Then it hits you, you become 99.9999% sure there are no time travelers.

We all know what happened last time they tried to proof a being by remarking it was invisible.....

god is invisible...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Well, there's a few ways to explain this.
First off, if you were a time traveler going back to 1940...
Would you just announce that you were from the future?

Guess what would happen to you? You'd be carted off to a mental asylum.
On the off chance you could prove it, you'd have every government on the planet after you to tell them what happens in the future.

You'd instantly become the most wanted man/woman on the planet.
Probably a good reason to remain unseen.

Second, considering we don't even really KNOW how time travel would work...
They could be in an off-shoot of reality that was a very result of them traveling back in time.

To say time travel is impossible because of a lack of time travelers is like saying it never rains because it's not raining right now.

Time Travel: We just don't know.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
There is an MJ12 podcast under the government secrets header that claims (apparently by MJ12) that we are being visited by a future race from another dimension-but that for us to travel is against the rules.

Or something like that. Don't quote me. Worth a listen: MJ 12's reference to time travel

Probably why is that no one knows "Dr. Burrish", but everyone knows "MJ12" is why... people don't talk about it more.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by HugmyRek]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I think Thelast covered the two most important points here: a time traveller would be unlikely to advertise themselves as such, and most serious discussions of the science of time-travel that I've read involved multiple universes and timelines.

Something else that bothers me though is that, for there to be time-travellers from the future, there must be at least one future time running concurrently with this one. Since there's no reason why any particular point in time should me more special than another, it then seems rational to then suppose that all points in time exist concurrently. This in turn seems to lead to some form of determinism, whereby everything that will ever happen is not only pre-determined but has, in a sense, already happened.

But then we have the idea mentioned above - an idea seemingly entertained by physicists - that there are multiple universes in which every possible outcome of every moment is played out. Putting the two together, it seems to me that either every possible version of events throughout the entire life-span of the universe already exists, like an infinite set of pre-recorded tapes, or the idea of multiple universes and the idea of a pre-determined time line are incompatible and only one can be true.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by adinough
I think Thelast covered the two most important points here: a time traveller would be unlikely to advertise themselves as such, and most serious discussions of the science of time-travel that I've read involved multiple universes and timelines.

Something else that bothers me though is that, for there to be time-travellers from the future, there must be at least one future time running concurrently with this one. Since there's no reason why any particular point in time should me more special than another, it then seems rational to then suppose that all points in time exist concurrently. This in turn seems to lead to some form of determinism, whereby everything that will ever happen is not only pre-determined but has, in a sense, already happened.

But then we have the idea mentioned above - an idea seemingly entertained by physicists - that there are multiple universes in which every possible outcome of every moment is played out. Putting the two together, it seems to me that either every possible version of events throughout the entire life-span of the universe already exists, like an infinite set of pre-recorded tapes, or the idea of multiple universes and the idea of a pre-determined time line are incompatible and only one can be true.

i don't really believe in parallel universes like that. why? honestly, the idea of clone universes creeps me out!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

I am 99.9999% sure there is no God

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
If we will invent time travel at some point in the future, why is nobody visiting us? Are they invisible? ARE they in fact visiting us, and there's just no proof of it?

If I was a time traveler, I'd be very careful not to make my presence known to the people of this time, since that might have a direct effect on my future well-being or existence. Maybe there are alternate timelines, maybe not. But I'd still be careful.

Also, consider this. If a time traveler did make a mistake and make themselves or their activities known, their obvious course of action would be to go back farther in time to before they made the accident, and make sure it didn't happen.

This might be one reason why with all the UFOs seen around, we never quite get that last little bit of evidence in place that proves them. Also why UFOs always seem to just "vanish," never to be found or seen again. Maybe they all fly back to the Moon, but it makes sense that they'd be spotted more if they did that. Instead, they just disappear. Maybe back to the future. Maybe. If you can travel in time, you can have a 100% success rate.

We don't have any good evidence of it. Just conjecture.

Anyway, look for small historical events where an alternative outcome would have had huge consequences. My favorite? The assassination of Louisiana Governor Huey Long. Read up on it. Time traveler at work?

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Nohup]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I have been working fictionally on a TT character and even being able to create your own rules regarding TT is difficult. At every thought I make there are consequences and I feel as if I am painting myself into a corner.

I think that its more about being muti-dimensional.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
They could be only allowed to come here without the physical body so they can't change or interact with anything. Just sightseeing.

Projecting your conciousness into a different time with the aid of a device would make it a timetravel device.
I think we would invent that first, followed by full fledged timetravel.
From a windowview into another time to the point of being able to send an actual human through

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by adinough

Which, if you think about it, could explain precognitive abilities in some.

If they are in-tune with the copies of themselves, then they can percieve all possible outcomes.

Another question: Are we on the main timeline? Or an off-shoot of it?
Maybe it's less like lines, and more like a web of sorts. Many lines intersecting at different points?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
what if time is just an aspect of human perception, and not a physical "law" ?

then it would be hard to build a machine to travel I'd say

the other poster touched on why this is such a powerful myth : being a witness to historical events, or as in the famous story, going to see the dinosaurs

we are stuck with the presnt I'm afraid. whoops, there it goes

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

read koontz' book, "lightning" he does a masterful job working with the plot problems

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
As far as we know?

Second line for temporal augmentation.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Also the book The Time Travellers Wife deals with the plot scenario's for a time travelling character rather well - unless you take the classic The Time Machine by H.G. Wells approach and cover broad swathes of incomprehnsible time. But Deak Koontz's Lightening (my all time top favourite book! AAA recomend it - have to plug before I go on).

Back to topic: The subject of travelling through time is quite complex, the more you think on the possibility of it, the more paradoxes can occur to you.

Some interesting reading on the possible experimentation of time travel can be found here:

Al Bielek's speech on the Philidelphia Experiment

I cannot testify to the truth behind this of course, but if you are considering possible reasons for the absence of time travellers this would give me one.

Mr Bielek (I will sum up for those who do not want to read through 27 pages of his speech), claims to be unintentionally caught up in an invisibility experiment on board the naval ship The Eldridge. He further claims many things, among them that when the metaphorical switch was thrown to begin the experiment on the 12th of August 1943, the ship did indeed disappear - for 4 hours. Apparently this was because a similar experiment was being performed on the 12th of August 1983, thus creating a hyperspace tunnel effect. (Sounds like a movie from the 80's? That's because it is - called The Philidelphia Experiment).

However, during his fantastical tale, he introduces the concept of Zero Point Time locks, allow me to quote the passage....

Humans are born, or I should say not only born but at the time of conception, as he found out with his research, with their own TIME LOCKS. Now you would have to go into some rather obscure physics, I’ll leave out the math and try to make it simple. We’re not living in a three dimensional universe. We’re living in a five dimensional universe. The fourth and fifth dimensions are TIME. The fourth time dimension of course has been well alluded to as outlined by Einstein and others. The fifth dimensional concept actually goes back to 1931, to P.D. Aspinski and his book “Tertium Organum”, a new model of the universe, in English. And he spoke of the five dimensions of our reality. He named the fourth as time; he never really got around to naming the fifth.

He goes on to mention that our "Time Locks" are inherently coded into our genetic structure.

And thus I present an alternative reasoning on why we have not seen time travellers wandering around introducing themselves and messing with the flow of things.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
You all should consider this before you even think about time travel.

If you really could go back and forward(more plausible to move forward), would you really want to?

You dropping a shed of lint of cotton from the future could end your own existance.

Butterfly effect.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
If the theory of parallel universes if correct than there has to be at least one world where time travel is never discovered regardless of it being theoretically possible. Maybe that's us!

So what we need to do is just find a way to visit a parallel universe and have our fun over there

top topics

<<   2 >>

join