It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Can We Stop the Epidemic of Killing Women and Children By Returning Soldiers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I believe another option we have to look at is what kind of people the military has been recruiting during these wars. Yes war is hell on people and yes I believe these military men and women are not getting the care they deserve. However, I don't totally buy that the war is the sole culprit. There are many other variables that could be contributing factors.

Back in the early 1990s almost 100 percent of Army enlistees had a high school diploma. But the Army documents show the percentage has dropped to 79 percent in recent years.

"That's a real problem because a high school diploma, recruiters see that as an indicator of success … of completing training and actually becoming a better soldier," Bowman says. "That's something they've watched for years and they're really concerned about it."

The documents also show that waivers for serious misdemeanors increased from 3,002 in 2005 to 8,259 in 2007. The most serious criminal misconduct charges include burglary, narcotics/drug charges, aggravated assault, larceny, and breaking and entering.

www.npr.org...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I don't pretend to know the statistics of returning vet violence but it does seem to be a problem that needs to be addressed.

www.nytimes.com...

www.reuters.com...

www.medicinenet.com...

www.bio-medicine.org...

And there are more pages of concern.

and a very disturbing one....

www.higheredcenter.org...

[edit on 6-4-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I think that anyone who goes to war believes they are "protecting us and our country" which is exactly what the military and government want them to think, not realizing how much damage it actually causes seeing and experiencing the things that they do, I would never want to watch my husband go to war all of his family have been in some form of the military and his sister is there right now this will be her third year, my sisters husband was only there for two years and came back a zombie , he said he couldn't get the image of this one incident out of his head apparently his commanding officer ordered him and his fellow troops to raid a school and then burn it to the ground he said he asked who needed to die in there and the officer said "who gives a # kill the bastards"!! and he had to kill and watch people killing little kids and teachers, he is currently on 3 medications for anxiety and depression and high blood pressure medicines to, he was not a father at all when he returned all he did was sleep.I personally believe that no real triumph comes from war and whether we have been supposedly attacked it is still crazy that it has to come to war.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Offering Army or Marine service as a form of pretrial diversion (or "backdoor draft"; the Navy and Air Force won't take them) has been around for a long time but you are correct, we are seeing a resurgence in the past seven years.

I went to high school with someone who took the Marines over jail, then wound up in the brig for longer after getting caught paying a bunkmate to break his leg for a medical discharge! Dumb--s!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I would also agree with your last post, to a point.

Yes, the quality that the military accepts as soldiers has decreased. Largely a result of the decreasing quality of our society at large IMHO, but that is another topic all together.

If you accept more criminals into the military you are bound to get more military-personnel crimes, makes perfect sense.

However, the killings and brutality associated with war veterans is not new, look at the glorified Rambo, man was that guy a mess.

More realistically, look back to Vietnam or WWII, both of these wars produced their own breed of criminal soldiers.

While the numbers may grow in accordance with the influx of more of a criminal element the types of crimes can not be so easily dismissed and SHOULD be addressed by the 'greatest nation in the world', right?

I mean come on, this is the U-S-A, we are the cream of the crop, we are ALL about human rights, freedom, liberty, love your neighbor. And after all we are talking about OUR military, you know 'be all you can be'! So of course enlisting in OUR army should ensure you are treated like the HERO you are. If your brains get a bit scrambled as you are trained to ruthlessly kill and then actually doing it, NO SWEAT will fix ya up home you get home!

Whats that? Oh, crapola, sorry guys. We need the money for other stuff, you know, like, well you now more IMPORTANT stuff....

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I just saw this article:

"I am under a lot of pressure to not diagnose PTSD"

and thought it fit this thread well. While I admit there are likely a host of reasons that there is a rise in solder related abuses; however there is an undeniable connection between PTSD and abuse state-side.

This article also highlights how the government is actively suppressing how PTSD is NOT being diagnosed, intentionally, and this undoubtedly results in soldiers not getting the appropriate treatment they DESERVE which then leads to the types of crimes listed in this thread.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Jam and greeneyedleo have posted by far the most rational and sensible posts in this thread yet.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Something that wasn't mentioned in that article, unless I overlooked it, is that those who join or want to join the military and do not have a high school diploma get help earning their GED. They get tutoring and classes to help them learn what they need to know in order to pass. The article makes it sound like they are letting a bunch of people in without diplomas or GEDs when that simply isn't true.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I believe another option we have to look at is what kind of people the military has been recruiting during these wars. Yes war is hell on people and yes I believe these military men and women are not getting the care they deserve. However, I don't totally buy that the war is the sole culprit. There are many other variables that could be contributing factors.

Back in the early 1990s almost 100 percent of Army enlistees had a high school diploma. But the Army documents show the percentage has dropped to 79 percent in recent years.

"That's a real problem because a high school diploma, recruiters see that as an indicator of success … of completing training and actually becoming a better soldier," Bowman says. "That's something they've watched for years and they're really concerned about it."

The documents also show that waivers for serious misdemeanors increased from 3,002 in 2005 to 8,259 in 2007. The most serious criminal misconduct charges include burglary, narcotics/drug charges, aggravated assault, larceny, and breaking and entering.

www.npr.org...

You conveniently left this part out
“The documents also show that waivers for serious misdemeanors increased from 3,002 in 2005 to 8,259 in 2007. The most serious criminal misconduct charges include burglary, narcotics/drug charges, aggravated assault, larceny, and breaking and entering.
The number of medical waivers granted also increased, climbing from 4,348 in 2005 to 5,985 in 2007. The medical conditions that most often resulted in waivers were high blood pressure and eye refraction.
An Army analysis of this "waiver pool," shows that these soldiers tended to have better performance in basic training, re-enlist at a higher rate, are promoted to the rank of sergeant more quickly and receive more medals for valor than those without waivers. “
Nice blanketing. You are all so much better than some one who has made a mistake. Must be nice to be perfect

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Plasma applicator, my sincere apology. I in no way meant any offensive by what I said. I said it is something to be looked at, not that everybody getting in because of lower standards is a bad apple. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join