It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican reveals new info of shroud of Turin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

The shroud of Turin, the 14-foot-long linen cloth that many people believe was placed on Jesus Christ at the time of his burial, was hidden and secretly venerated by medieval knights for more than 100 years, the Vatican announced Sunday, according to a story published by Britain's Times Online.

Source

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
would that be the nights templar, why are they giving this information out all of a sudden

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by deathpoet69
would that be the nights templar, why are they giving this information out all of a sudden

You are correct the article mentions the Templars. God only knows why this information is now being released. Wasn't the shroud confirmed to be an hoax from 100s or years ago?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This is very odd, the vatican would say this out loud at all! I remember watching on history channel, about the shroud..like 10 years ago, they did carbon dating on it, tests.
I question what the vatican says...look at what they said abuot condoms and hiv..they have addmited aliens are our brothers, of anyone remembers that. They said things over time that are questionable..and of course, thiers the infamous pope, after WWII, that helped SS officersa nd nazis use the vatican as a safe haven.
Just sounds fishy to me...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This isn't really new information, although I guess it is new that the Vatican is officially acknowledging it.

several books about the Templars speak of the Shroud being interned at a small abbey in France after the order was accused of heresies.

Good find though. The article is a good read.

Here is the Times article the snippets are taken from.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Wasn't the shroud confirmed to be an hoax from 100s or years ago?

There is some controversy about it. Some researchers claim that the sample of cloth used to date the Shroud was taken from an area that was damaged by fire and subsequently repaired using fibres from that time period of the Middle Ages.

There is an interesting documentry about this. I'll see if I can dig it up. I just watched most of it two weeks ago.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
what does everyone on ats think? is it real? was it faked (lol could be oldest known photoshop job)? could it be real, but be someone other than jesus?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
curious indeed the Vatican speaks about the Templars secreting the shroud now, but then they are not known particularly for the timeliness of their reactions...

The carbon dating controversy was indeed over whether a later patched piece of the shroud was tested and i must say I never came across any definitive answer to that.

I also recall an article from over a decade ago that had studied the pollens embedded in the shroud and found that many plant species were identified as coming from Israel and were consistent with what flora one would expect for the time of Jesus' death. FWIW.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Wow I though this topic would be more popular than this. I wonder what other secrets the Vatican is hiding from us.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I believe the shroud is the real deal. Carbon dating was done on the patches that were sewn into the shroud where it was damaged by fire. So the results showed a later date than 33 ad. The results concluded the material dated back to the time of the fire.

As far as the Vatican releasing this information now? I'm curious about it. My conspiring mind wonders why there is so much interest in the Templars lately. It all seems to "manipulated."

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Here's the documentary which tells about the carbon-14 dating - it's got some other interesting stuff in it.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a related thread in the Science forum:

The Fabric of Time

and i am thinking that this old thread is also related:

Very WEIRD letter! Anyone know what this is about?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The Vatican could have a motive for releasing this information on the shroud. By claiming that it was kept by the Templars, it pushes the dates, of its being known, back to before the dates of the known fakes. Just claiming that anyone at all definitely possessed this very thing, gives it an air of legitimacy. The church would find it very useful for gaining authority in the European Union (who have the crown of Mary as their flag) if they had something like a holy object that makes a good visual image in people's minds that even actual unbelievers could think was at least plausible. If atheists could have a bit of doubt in their minds that the religionists may be right, they would not be a block to the Vatican setting themselves up as the great decider in religious affairs, meaning having a actual political office.
That would be a mistake. Real religion, even if you decide not to have religion in your life, is not something that should be regulated by the government. That's why it is the first amendment to the US Constitution, that government should not interfere with the practice of religion. Belief in God or Jesus is useless if it is made political or a state law. Belief is only useful to an individual when it is an outgrowth of his own conscience. No matter how real God or Jesus is, that gives no authority to a human agency to become the arbiters of the dispensing of religious benefits to the people. The Vatican can claim whatever authority they want but I am not going to accept it or give homage to them that belongs to the supreme entity of my choice.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by jmdewey60]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It's not so much it's a "secret" the Vatican always knew and only decided to reveal recently, it's that the relevant documents have only been recently rediscovered in the Vatican archives - and with 2000 years of information in there they are pretty big archives.

I remember reading a book years ago that suggested the "Holy Grail" was in fact the "Holy Grill", ie a description of the box with grilled aperatures in which the shroud was kept and partially displayed - anyone else remember hearing/reading that?

Whether it is what it is claimed to be is a matter of faith - another one of those things faith in Christ throws up. Fortunately there will never be "conclusive proof" beyond that of faith as that would severly limit people's freedom to believe.

[For the contributor(s) who wish to allude to condoms and "Hitler's Pope" a look at the two subjects in my signature might lead you to question these particular truthinesses.]

new topics

top topics

join