It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opening Day...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Opening day for professional baseball (and the Seattle Mariners, too...). Dreams are still alive...hopes and dreams of fall glory thrive during the Spring, before the reality of the summer sets in.

Baseball brings back memories of my childhood. Days spent on the diamond (I wasn't very good), but it was fun.

Ah, baseball...it remains my first love, though the innocense long disappeared.

All sorts of things going on this year. Randy Johnson 300 wins, Ken Griffey back in Seattle, where he's always belonged..., the nightmare that is steroids is over (...we hope), can the Chicago Cubs end the "streak" after one hundred and one years?

So settle back, and dream our dreams of baseball dreams. Enjoy the season.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Well said seagull.

My Mets are about to take he field against Cinci.

Such a cool and exciting time of year for any baseball fan.

Can't wait to get to the ballpark when my boys come to town.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Got some brews and sittin' in front of the TV, watching it right now...and typing here of course...

Baseball...yeehaw.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Got some brews and sittin' in front of the TV, watching it right now...and typing here of course..

Beer at 10:30 am ...

... Now that's a true baseball fan.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Yep. Opening day! The Phillies lost to the Braves last night, but it was opening day!
I pretty much layed on the couch for the game, but there's something about it isn't there?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

Even more so, and I can't believe I'm saying this, than football's opening day. Baseball speaks to something within us that takes us back to our childhood. Some of the happiest memories in my childhood are contained within the boundries of a baseball diamond. I met my first girlfreind on the diamond, damn that girl could hit the ball...I wish I could have thrown like that "girl", too...

What that something is...I really can't tell ya. Maybe the innocense of childhood? Before life intruded? That's as good an explanation as I can come up with...

Play ball.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Yup been looking forward to this since the Superbowl. Just couldn't get into hockey this year. I just wish my Jays were in a different division. 10 games over .500 last year and they placed 4th in their division.
Playing the Rays, Red Sox and Yankees so many games and still went over .500? They'd own pretty much any other division.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Hey, that was a strike!

What the hell ump?
Did you forget your glasses in Florida?

That white thing heading your way is a baseball, try to follow it already ...

You're bush league!

Ah, I love this day.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Snow forecast for later today, or at least the possibility of same...

Ah, Cincinnati in the Spring...

I can't believe it, already done with the beer...oh well, just have to get up...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I think I'll join you if you don't mind.

Bloody ump is already squeezing Santana ...

How'bout some tunes ...

Oh yeah!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Feel free.

Mets are the team to beat (unless they beat themselves...again...and again) in the Nat'l. League. Talent all over that roster.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Seagull, have you been to Safeco field?

That looks like such a beautiful ballpark.

I love Seattle as a city in general and I want to catch a game next time I'm there.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Mets are the team to beat

Hmmmmmmm............ I would say the Phillies have a pretty nice shot again this year. At least on paper they look pretty strong.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

I was waiting for you to say something.

Until the Mets can prove that they are free of "french soldier" syndrome, and until we dethrone the Phillies, I have to give your guys the respect they have earned.

So the Phillies are the favorites ... for now.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I have. It's the best stadium I've ever been in. No bad sightlines, seriously, not a bad seat in the place.

Phillies will be there (you homer, you...), but top to bottom, the talent says Mets, but intestinal fortitude says something else...that goes to the Phillies in a walk. Jamie Moyer is my boy, love that guy.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I love Opening Day. Too bad a bunch of games are postponed.

Yankees in 1:20.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Oh, joy...the team I love to despise. No other team, save the OKC Thunder of the No Basketball in Seattle Association, come even close...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Yep. For now. But you better believe I'm gonna ride that Phillies wave! You're a good sport SD.

Oh and Seagull - looks like I might be out in Seattle in October. Have some time for a couple beers?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

Here's a semi-interesting story ...

I was 16 years old in late August 1984. My mother had met my now step-father, she fell in love with him and decided to move me to the US from Greece where I was then living.

I had never been here, I didn't know a soul, or anything about this country. I had only been speaking passable English for a couple of years.

I land at JFK but my mother got stuck at work and couldn't come to pick me up. So I get in a cab and go to the apartment where she had luckily left the keys with the doorman.

I walk in, put my bags down, sit on the couch and turn on the tv.

The channel it was on was WWOR 9 and there was this thing on with people with funny tight clothes, a stick, and a big fat guy dressed in black.
Couldn't figure out what I was watching but I couldn't stop watching it, if only to try and figure it and this country out.

To this day I remember the first batter I saw was a washed up George Foster clinging to the end of his career. Then I saw Keith Hernandez smoking in the dugout and I was sold.

I fell in love with the game, the mets, and eventually with this country itself.

What a strange and cool way to experience the US for the first time.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This is my first Baseball season in High Def.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join