It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Shootings Spur Call for New Gun Control Laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

www.democracynow.org

Gun control advocates are urging lawmakers to rewrite the nation’s gun control laws after mass shootings in upstate New York, Pittsburgh and Washington state. In Binghamton, New York, a gunman attacked an immigration center on Friday, killing thirteen people before taking his own life. Most of the dead were immigrants who were taking classes at the immigration center. The gunman was a Vietnamese-born immigrant who recently lost his job.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: clipped quoted content to 500 char. limit]

[edit on 6-4-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This I find to be an interesting article. While I have been noticing a large increase in shootings lately, I think its related more to the economy then anything else. I am in no way for gun control and not to mention if you want a gun bad enough you can get one illegally. I feel terrible for the victims and families of these incidents but do not believe it warrants more gun control. As fire arms are people of liberty's teeth they need not be controlled. I believe that there should be some sort of mandatory gun education class in order to own a gun. I was taught to respect guns at a very run age and believe they are very important for the people to have. I hope this does not turn into to some crazy liberal agenda to further Obama's gun bans that have already taking place. Any thoughts?

www.democracynow.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
These things happen all the time. The only difference now is the frequency of which they are reported by the MSM. That is the key factor as to how I think they will use these examples to bring about more control with public support.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Existing laws are not being fully enforced to the letter and preventing or outright removing guns from law abiding citizens will have no impact on this type of violence.

Criminals don't turn in their guns when the authorities ask for them. This is an age old debate and the plan does not work.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Very sad events to be sure. Keep your heads on straight though. IMO, the increased reporting of these events are a ploy to sway public opinion and condition the general populous that additional gun restrictions are in order.

I would say expect to see more reporting in the MSM on any gun related events, none of them in a positive light.

Now, to the potential conspiracy side of things which is why we're here right? Could these shootings be individuals "programed" and being "activated" as a means to an end , or is this mearly a sign of people reaching there breaking point due to our elected officials' corruption and utter contempt for anything other than themselves which has driven this once great country into the ground?

-

Posted Via ATSmobile (BETA v0.3)

-

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Seems like a time to donate to Gun Owners of America.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It does seem like an 'agenda' being played out.
I think they are killing two birds with one stone here.
Internet and gun control ...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Actual crime levels in the US as a whole have been decreasing steadily since 2001.

The coverage crimes are getting the MSM and the number of reports on gun violence and related homicides has been steadily increasing.

Why?

Fear. It's the oldest tool of power. If you're distracted by the fear of those around you, your too preoccupied to notice the actions of those above you.

Keep everyone placated and fearful and you can get away with anything.

[edit on 6/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This is not a time to panic...it's a time to think straight and prepare.

I don't feel safer when law abiding citizens have no guns, but criminals do. I feel safer when law abiding citizens have guns.

It's very simple:

1. Less guns and a worse economy equals more desperate people being less inhibited to commit criminal acts. They know that the more people don't have guns, the easier it will be to do whatever they wish.

I wonder two things: What's going on besides these localized horror stories (spun to panic people and rob them of their wisdom by the way), and how these scenarios would have played out had 1 or 2 people instinctively known they had a pistol on them?

With guns in the equation, you can do 1 of two things: either fight fire with fire, or be told what to do and how to do it, and pray they don't shoot you anyway. Think guns will ever be out of criminal's hands?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - - Thomas Jefferson

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I find it interesting the people have missed a logical point.

One cannot legislate to an insane person or to a person who has malevolent intent.

An insane person does not care about the laws.

A criminal does not care about the laws.

A person who is suicidal does not care about the laws.

New laws will not solve the problem.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by xman_in_blackx
I find it interesting the people have missed a logical point.

One cannot legislate to an insane person or to a person who has malevolent intent.

An insane person does not care about the laws.

A criminal does not care about the laws.

A person who is suicidal does not care about the laws.

New laws will not solve the problem.

Thank you! The only gun law is 2nd amendment.

How can any one in their right mind (or left mind) even consider that laws will ever, ever, ever have any effect on a criminal hell bent on having, making or using one with criminal intent.

OMG give lawmakers a shovel and stable to in which to work. They can be more productive.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now, to the potential conspiracy side of things which is why we're here right? Could these shootings be individuals "programed" and being "activated" as a means to an end , or is this mearly a sign of people reaching there breaking point due to our elected officials' corruption and utter contempt for anything other than themselves which has driven this once great country into the ground?

I was waiting for that as I thought the same thing. MK-ULTRA a possibility? Hired henchman who believed in the ritual side of TPTB agenda?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
Actual crime levels in the US as a whole have been decreasing steadily since 2001.

The coverage crimes are getting the MSM and the number of reports on gun violence and related homicides has been steadily increasing.

Why?

Fear. It's the oldest tool of power. If you're distracted by the fear of those around you, your too preoccupied to notice the actions of those above you.

Keep everyone placated and fearful and you can get away with anything.

[edit on 6/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

I thought the crime rate was rising again due to the economy?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The sad thing is that people are actually being sold on the idea that owning a gun has ANYTHING to do with some loon shooting up a building. Owning a gun is about keeping the GOVERNMENT in check, not the citizens. "A well organized and armed militia". Go read the writings of Jefferson, Paine, Washington etc.

This B.S. is being used as a means to an end, and the people are eating it all up.

On a side, yet related, note, anyone else see the glaring coincidence in that Paine is barely even mentioned in our education system?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Gun Control is only designed to prevent criminals, minors, people declared mentally ill, non citizens, etc from getting their hands on guns the legal way. As you can see, in most mass shootings the shooter had no type of criminal or any other recorded that would of prevented them from buying guns legally. Many if not all of these shooters bought there guns legally. It is hard to understand how people call for more gun control when the laws works. So how would any type of gun control except a gun ban would prevent these types of shootings.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Yes exactly, which is why i paraphrased Washington in my first post. This is most definitely fear mongering. The MSM is trying to keep us so distracted from all the treason of late that violence and rockets are the best way to do this.... power to the people.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by scoopkill
Gun Control is only designed to prevent criminals, minors, people declared mentally ill, non citizens, etc from getting their hands on guns the legal way. As you can see, in most mass shootings the shooter had no type of criminal or any other recorded that would of prevented them from buying guns legally. Many if not all of these shooters bought there guns legally. It is hard to understand how people call for more gun control when the laws works. So how would any type of gun control except a gun ban would prevent these types of shootings.

A gun ban prevents nothing. It CREATES more criminals, since only criminals would have guns.

but again, and I cant stress this enough:

DO NOT FALL INTO THIS TRAP! READ SOME HISTORY! YOUR RIGHT TO OWN A GUN HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING THAT OTHER CITIZENS DO!!!!

new topics

top topics

join