It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Leaked U.N. Report Uncovers Sudanese Rape Policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
A leaked UN report has angered Arab leaders because it sheds light on an emerging situation created by the Sudanese government that promoted the systematic rape of non-arab women. Along with murder and destruction of property supposedly owned by rebels, hundreds of thousands of people have fled to neighboring Chad, and an estimated 700,000 people have been left homeless due to the governments crack down on non-arab rebels.

Sudan Tribune Article

The report states "...a policy of using rape and other serious forms of sexual violence as a weapon of war seems to exist...There are consistent reports amongst refugee women from various locations that 'men in uniform' raped and abused women and young girls."

"Rape was often committed by more than one man, sometimes in front of the victim's family," it said.

"U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan told the commission earlier this month that he had 'a deep sense of foreboding' about reports that Arab militia groups, with government backing, were engaged in 'ethnic cleansing' against Africans in the province."

Related News Articles:

framehosting.dowjonesnews.com...

[Edited on 4-22-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
can you clarify if this is a muslim/non muslim issue or an arab/black/white issue?

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Thanks for putting that up.

I was just thinking about that situation yesterday and was wondering why the media has turned a blind-eye to it.

What is going on over there is disgusting.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
can you clarify if this is a muslim/non muslim issue or an arab/black/white issue?

Muslim/nonMuslim. They don't distinguish skin color as we do here in the states.

However... rape has ALWAYS been used as a tool of oppression and control during times of war. Every civilization, every age. And no, American soldiers aren't innocent of that, either (thankfully it's fairly rare for soldiers of First World countries to do this.)

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
why I asked that question is that sudan is largely a muslim population. It could be an arab muslim against a non arab muslim situation. I'm just trying to learn if muslims are attacking muslims because of skin color?

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

Read the articles and you will know as much as I do. In my best opinion I would say that a majority of the rebels were non-muslim and black, but most the government forces are Muslim and black. That is just my uninformed assumption though, let me do a little more research and I'll get back to you with something better, maybe check the CIA FOIA country guide to take a look at the country demographics.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
ok here ya go, according to the CIA:

Ethnic groups: black 52%, Arab 39%, Beja 6%, foreigners 2%, other 1%

Religions: Sunni Muslim 70% (in north), indigenous beliefs 25%, Christian 5% (mostly in south and Khartoum)

Languages: Arabic (official), Nubian, Ta Bedawie, diverse dialects of Nilotic, Nilo-Hamitic, Sudanic languages, English
note: program of "Arabization" in process.

Hmmmm, this seems intresting "Sunni Muslim 70%" aren't the Sunni's in Iraq the ones causeing a majority of the problems? I guess their reach of terror reaches past Iraq's borders.

Military regimes favoring Islamic-oriented governments have dominated national politics since independence from the UK in 1956. Sudan has been embroiled in a civil war for all but 10 years of this period (1972-82). The wars are rooted in northern economic, political, and social domination of non-Muslim, non-Arab southern Sudanese. Since 1983, the war and war- and famine-related effects have led to more than 2 million deaths and over 4 million people displaced. The ruling regime is a mixture of military elite and an Islamist party that came to power in a 1989 coup. Some northern opposition parties have made common cause with the southern rebels and entered the war as a part of an anti-government alliance.

Taken from : www.cia.gov...

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
So in light of those facts it does look like Muslim arabs are attempting to ethnically cleanse black non-arabs.

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Yes right the muslim Arabs dont like the black muslims. Arabs are minority in Sudan but they control the country politacaly and economicaly. The blacks want also their piece of cake - that means civil war.

About sunni muslims - majority (over 90%) of muslims are sunni. The shi muslims live only in Iran, Iraq, and minorities in Lebanon and Pakistan.

[Edited on 22-4-2004 by longbow]

[Edited on 22-4-2004 by longbow]

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
thanks for information both of you, it would seem this is a muslim on muslim crime but based on regular prejudices and racism about skin color. It is quite a shame, but honestly, these people should be left alone to work it among themselves. I don't even think the UN should be involved in this one.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
What did the UN decide to do about this alarming situation? In their own words:

"The government has now agreed to admit the UN team - but not in time for it to report back to the commission this week, delaying any action until next year."

I guess this is just the planet we live on, yeah earth. It's the type of place where we sit and watch innocent people die and be raped while eating burger-king simply because the area it's happening in isn't "of political interest" and has no oil. Welcome to earth, this is who we are.

news.independent.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It is unbelievable what is going on over there and disgusting that it is barely being reported here in the US.

Sudan bloodshed

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The UN has identified it as a rape "policy". From what I've seen it doesn't look like a policy but rather a bunch of thugs without any control.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
The UN has identified it as a rape "policy". From what I've seen it doesn't look like a policy but rather a bunch of thugs without any control.

Yes they did, didn't you read the articals? it's even quoted in the first post.
"policy of using rape and other serious forms of sexual violence as a weapon of war seems to exist."

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
It is really unfortunate to read about this kind of thing, but it's true. When it comes to war there are always many, many stories of rape and sexual violence as a tool.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I have said it since day one on this board, I'll say it again: The UN is so screwed up that it amounts to a sham. The UN is defunct and its time to disband them or seriously restructure this 'outfit'.
Just found these:
Sudan welcomes UN rights panel's weak text on Darfur atrocities

Notice the word 'weak'? The UN is so screwed up on what is and has been taking place in Sudan, it almost seems that they don't want no parts of this situation. According to this article, the US voted against the text. Why? Because as par for the UN, everything from them is "weak" issued! The US wants and is demanding a stronger response and wording by and from the UN on this, and I would like to see likewise, along with any type action from this defunct organization on and in Sudan.
This article:
Rape, torture, and one million forced to flee as Sudan's crisis unfolds. Will we move to stop it?
The UN again can sit back report and look on, but continues to do nothing?!

And this one:
Ethnic cleansing in desert of death for black Muslims

The United Nations says Darfur has become the scene of the world's worst humanitarian crisis. More than a million people have fled as the Janjaweed advance, burning village after village. More than 100,000 have crossed into neighbouring Chad, where most have little access to emergency aid.

Very indepth article but may be graphic to a degree, so be warned and take heed.

seekerof

[Edited on 25-4-2004 by Seekerof]

top topics

join