It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Net firms start storing user data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Net firms start storing user data

news.bbc.co.uk

Details of user e-mails, website visits and net phone calls will be stored by internet service providers (ISPs) from Monday under an EU directive.

The plans were drawn up in the wake of the London bombings in 2005.

ISPs and telecoms firms have resisted the proposals while some countries in the EU are contesting the directive.

Jim Killock, executive director of the Open Rights Group, said it was a "crazy directive" with potentially dangerous repercussions for citizens.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
One small step for man one giant leap for Big Brother - piece by piece, inch by inch our personal 'freedoms' are being eroded.

Will this news change anyones surfing or downloading habits? On the back of the recent raids in Dallas and the various reported home visits by the authorities to active bloggers. This is definitely a tightening of the screw.

Best to delete those cookies and think pure thoughts from Monday onwards

regards

berth

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Thanks Mod for the current link direction. As i posted earlier but obviously in wrong section this what i posted

Well for over 2 years i run a few ded's in major eu and u.k. locations, back then the contract did state that records will be kept from incoming and outgoing traffic from my deds. When i asked "why this is so" the reply was certain policy's had changed since 911, although the changes were not mandatory from each isp but were considered friendly business trade between isp and government. Later on i found out that isp's had better deals when they were considering deals associated with Government Contracts due to prior information exchange between isp and agency's.

Lets see all NWO activists going ballistic over this one.

edit: This is a link were you may find your ISP. Note major ISP's will publicly state their affiliation with numerous law enforcement agency's

www.search.org...

a brief example is :

AT&T Internet Services
Contact Name: Rhonda Compton, Legal Compliance
Online Service: AT&T Internet Services
Online Service Address: 1010 N. St. Marys St. Rm. 315-A-02
San Antonio, Texas 78215
Phone Number: 210-351-3216
Fax Number: 707-435-6409
Note(s): Service of subpoenas, search warrants and court orders via facsimile with hard copy via US mail. Please be specific when requesting IP inofrmation to include IP, address, date, time and time zone. Response time is 7-10 days.
Last Updated: February, 2009

[edit on 6-4-2009 by tristar]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I have just come across this on the BBC and was about to post

This is truly shocking.

All ISPs in the European Union will have to store the records for a year. An EU directive which requires telecoms firms to hold on to telephone records for 12 months is already in force.

The data stored does not include the content of e-mails and websites, nor a recording of a net phone call, but is used to determine connections between individuals.

Does anyone honestly believe that they are not storing content? I understand that including content and not just the "links" from person to person can consume a serious amount of hard drive space but still ... I think they are storing it and have been for a while.

Gob smacked.

The next logical step is for them to admit (or start doing so if not already) to storing the content. Progression will see us with no privacy whatsoever.
I have already removed my framed photo of my graduation from uni so that I have made space for the telescreen.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

"Access to communications data is governed by the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (Ripa) which ensures that effective safeguards are in place and that the data can only be accessed when it is necessary and proportionate to do so.

Yeah, if you have a beard, speak another language other than the host country's and attend a mosque.... you're fair game.

Well Europe just opened the floodgates to an American-style "Warrantless Surveillance" nightmare.
Now that this passed with flying colours it's only a matter of time before ISP's have to start giving up individual users whenever the Government asks.

I wish I could say I'm glad to live in Australia, but even our government's following the global, Gestapo initiative, with a proposed mandatory Internet filtering system.

[edit on 6/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Combine this with the whole FBI raiding whole isp's because one customer is a suspect. There's a recipe for big brother abuse if there ever was one

[Edit] Didn't read the article, I thought this was in US

[edit on 6/4/2009 by PsykoOps]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by badBERTHA

One small step for man one giant leap for Big Brother - piece by piece, inch by inch our personal 'freedoms' are being eroded.

Will this news change anyones surfing or downloading habits? On the back of the recent raids in Dallas and the various reported home visits by the authorities to active bloggers. This is definitely a tightening of the screw.

Best to delete those cookies and think pure thoughts from Monday onwards

regards

berth

news.bbc.co.uk

why would anybody still think that the internet is private, that ship has sailed years ago. i'll use the old adage of computers..."what can be written, can be read"

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
very true - I suppose what is changing now is the legislation which provides official reasons for kicking your online ass..

If you have a unsecured wireless network it might be wise to tighten up in case your neighbour gets you banged up..

cheers

berth

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

If you have a unsecured wireless network it might be wise to tighten up in case your neighbour gets you banged up..

cheers

berth

Open or Locked, its the same thing for me

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Monitor this:

This is waaay too far. Think what you use hte 'net for. I'm sure you could build a very good profile of someone from a years worth of internet data.

As of now I'll use cash only, the 'net for things I can't possibly do any other way, and will write letters hand delivered by myself to my friends. The phone is history, too.

I don't care how that looks - have fun following me!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Just another step towards the big brother style society that has been slowly creeping in since this government came to power
and the people seem gullible enough to fall for it.

new topics

top topics

join