It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child robot mimicks infant learning

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

are they really slaves if they are still running based on a program and have not yet become self aware?

I don't know.

We had this question asked in a morals class once and I had a problem with it then.

Thanks for your post.

peace

Remember that we're talking about a program here, running on pre-defined parameters. This is not life. This is a computer doing a really fine job of impersonating life, or consciousness, eventually.

If we did advance this technology to the point where it is indistinguishable from actual consciousness, couldn't we just program these robots to enjoy work?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by suicydking

If we did advance this technology to the point where it is indistinguishable from actual consciousness, couldn't we just program these robots to enjoy work?

I don't know why this subject makes my brain hurt, but it does.

If there is an actual conscious - thinking, feeling, etc. and then it's programmed to like what it's doing?

That’s just horrid and IMO morally wrong.

Then I think - well, what about a bomb squad?

Why not make these created things work at defusing bombs so when there a *oops* it’s not a human blown to bits.

All fine and good right?

Ugh, I hate this. lol

peace

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
No matter how you look at it all these new "ROBOTS" are just saying what the Terminator was saying before. YIKES!!!!

I remember a thread about some new material that can repair the damage to itself. WTF?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by suicydking

Well, There are such things at Neural networks in programming, which allows the program to learn and what not. Its the same basic principal here, and works just like your mind does.

In A way, I would love to have another sentient form on this planet besides us. Robots, or other wise. So what if we end up being destroyed by our own creations, because in a way, they would be us. I love the idea of robots along side us in society... but thats just me, being a tech-freak... anywho...

Rekar

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Public opinion in Japan may be more open to robots than in the West, where dark science fiction visions from movies such as "Bladerunner" and "Terminator" have conjured images of robo-soldiers taking over the world.

BECAUSE THEY WIILL!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
If our own morality is justified by our sentience, should we not build these killswitches into ourselves, then?

We do have a 'kill switch'...

Imagine what a Human would be capable of if he lived 300 years ;-)

*We do have a kill switch; our genetic Programming only allows for so many cell-replications until the biological form that houses science's theorized 'observer' is rendered fully defunct.

Consider also the effects of time on the Human body; As we age and gather more knowledge our ability to act upon that knowledge is reduced by a rapidly deteriorating physiology.

This genetic programming has greatly diminished out potential.

[edit on 11-4-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
artificially intelligent robots will be cheap in the future, because they will be a common household appliance who will work for nothing, they will be our common slaves and we wont feel any remorse because it will be as natural as owning a toaster, and if we get board with them we chuck them away like we do with everything.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I’m sorry but I don’t get this whole negative aspect to an androids do everything for us future. A robot no matter how advanced we get, robots will never be self-aware enough to be alive. And unless they’re alive I wouldn’t give a stuff if I had one and it broke – I’d just send it for repairs. People, we already have robots that do almost everything for us. Take a look into the kitchen – the computer you’re using now etc. Do you care about them???

There’s no difference other then they look human…..they’re still machines. I saw AI the movie and the other one with Robin Williams and that’s not going to happen……Look how we treat pets – buy them, sell them, fix them, put them down. And guess what, they’re alive so simply realize how emotionally unattached we’ll be to androids compared to pets….

A slave race??? They’re not human, they’re machines that look human. They’re not real. There’s no moral issue here. We won’t become any more lazy as we already are, we already use machines to do our work for us – there’s no difference. You have to use commands to make the machine function but androids I guess don’t need assistance so the only difference really is you won’t have to do house chores – that won’t make us lazier.

I for one can’t wait for such a day to come when androids are common place. Have pride in humanities achievements.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Creating a slave species?

It's just a fancy roomba or something, nothing more. I get tried of people talking about, not you btw, robot conciousness and robot emotion ect. They're just wires.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I share the same view as a number of other posters here. I cannot really see where the moral dilemma would be. Like many have said, a robot is just a robot. It is programmed to respond to certain things. PROGRAMMED. Unless someone developes a program capable of completely rewriting itself into something unrecognizable by the original programmers, but still works effectively, then the robot is no more sentient than your Satellite TV tuner.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
No dilema for the time being - as we have a bit to go on that.

What's wrong with robotic prostitutes? After all we already have plastic sex dolls and electric vibrators. Why not take the next step and make them more realistic.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Unlike humans, however, you can completely backup and store the brain of the android. Plug it in, store an exact copy of its brain, send it in to defuse bomb. Bomb blows up? No big, grab a replacement body and upload the stored brain into it. No loss.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BriggsBU
reply to post by silo13

Unlike humans, however, you can completely backup and store the brain of the android. Plug it in, store an exact copy of its brain, send it in to defuse bomb. Bomb blows up? No big, grab a replacement body and upload the stored brain into it. No loss.

That's even scarier. especially when you consider the thought that maybe someday we can clone the human brain, it's all just a bunch of electrical impulses and signals anyhow. Then your argument could be used to justify putting the consciousness of a person into one of those look alike forever and ever, why would we need to have our physical bodies then?

The potential for abuse here is astronomical. Don't like a President, replace him with an android copy, sure he's got all the smarts of the original , but we programmed him to be nicer and more tolerant... (outlandish hypothetical I know but it gets the point across)

Once one of these things becomes sentient, It thinks, therefore it am, we are in for an ethical dilemma of biblical proportions.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Unfortunately this news is not really an advance in any way in the field of AI. There have been sophisticated AI for decades, but not a single one has been able to break the 7 year old barrier (meaning the AI developing to the same level as a 7 year old child). Too much happens in the human psyche at that stage of development for any AI to achieve (cognizance/self-awareness being just one of those things).

The more innovative minds in AI have long ago abandoned making "human-like" AI and have resorted to developing AI with "animal-like" AI with much more success. As many in the industry move away from human-like AI, we will begin to see more productive and amazing advances in this field.

If you cannot create in your own image, try creating in someone else's image with significantly more success.

However, I do confess that the particular robot that was mentioned in this article is perhaps the creepiest robot I've ever seen in my life.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Some of you guys drive me nuts frankly. If we had robots to do all our work, that'd be a good thing and wouldn't make us "lazy". Did using a tractor back in the day for farming mean we were lazy? No, it boosted productivity substancially. Instead of having illegal immigrants picking fruit, I'd rather have a robot....

Turning over "more tasks" to robots has nothing to do with our humanity. Does an oven make me less human since I'm not using a fire? Come on people.

No, robots or things coming from human hands don't have a soul. This isn't a sci-fi movies, I don't think we're going to have to worry about robots taking over the world.
It's a fancy box of circuits, nothing more.

If you people have a problem with it, fine. But while you'll be doing slave labor to exist and I'll have my robot doing everything for me and I can focus on my religious/spiritual studies

I think this stupid thing just bugged out. It says I need 330 more charactors and I just wrote a ton. I deleted the original quote and now it added the characters I deleted to the characters i need in order to post......hope that gets fixed since more people will probably have the same problem soonner or later. 10 more....yay...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I think this is great. I could order a robot version of me. The robot me could then go to work instead of me. The robot wouldn't need to be that smart, it just needs to be able to chair meetings and say "that's just not good enough" every other sentence. Then I could spend my time concentrating on fiddling my expenses.

Seriously, while I don't personally believe in the soul for human or robot, there must be a point at which the robots get smart enough/conscious enough to be considered alive. Until then, they are just machines. The question I would pose is, if the machines could become sentient, would we be justified in preventing them?

My view is that to prevent the 'rise of the robots' would be quite wrong - after all it could be the next stage in our evolution. For human's to explore the galaxy, considering the challenges of time taken to travel to other planets, would be difficult. For a robot though, that would be different.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Here ya go!

Still Creepy after all this time...

Peace

[edit on 24-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I suppose if they made them look like cats or dogs, people would want one now. It is just that they look human that freaks people out.

As other posters have said, this is a machine.

They can not even transplant a human brain into another person, much less a robot who does not have all the needed neural connections, veins, etc to work it.

I think it is intriguing. I do not know that I would want one. At this point it does not seem to be able to do anything, and I would have no use for it. None the less it is very interesting.

If pedophiles have one of these instead of hurting a real child, more power to them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join